Mondial 8 weird start issue -- relay related | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 weird start issue -- relay related

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Apr 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The AAV won't stop the motor from starting. Although I have had an AAV hose come loose, which caused a vacuum leak. Not easily visible in that location.

A good place to begin troubleshooting is to get a can of starting fluid. With the motor turned off, press the air vane down and spray some starting fluid into the air intake of the FD. The car should not only start, but keep running as long as you keep spraying starting fluid in there. If the car won't start with starting fluid, you probably have an ignition problem. Check the plugs as previously stated, and also check the resistance of the plug wires, they do go bad.

I don't believe the steel injectors will ever go bad, but they do get dirty. I clean the injectors by pulling them out, and soaking them in carb cleaner. There is a small filter screen inside the injectors. This can get clogged, especially if old fuel has dried out of there. Also clean around the poppet valve. Pull the valve down with your fingernails to clean that area of gum.

With the ignition key in the run position, you should be able to press the air vane down causing the fuel pump to energize. You can also hear the injectors spraying fluid. They make sort of a screeching noise. Careful, as this will flood the motor, and you need to give it a few minutes to dry out. If you have spare injectors, you could remove the hats, and attach the new injectors outside of the motor. Place them in clear plastic bottles to catch the fuel. This will show you if the fuel system is working.

2. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Update:

Thanks all!

1. I removed and inspected the cold start valve (in US only models) and auxiliary air valve (AAV). Both seem ok. Maybe the AAV does not open totally. Regardless, I made a custom vacuum connection with a valve so I can open or close manually. I left open for starting which is the setting it should be. Still no start.

2. I replaced one fuel injector just to see how easy/hard it is. Quite doable. However, I do not think ALL injectors when bad simultaneously. So I'd rather not change them all at this point (yet). No start still.

3. I changed all vacuum lines I could see. No start still.

4. I checked for spark and its good.

5. ***** However, I just noticed that with the cold start injector disconnected, it simply does not want to ignite any cylinder ... it just turns over trying. When I ==connect it==, then rather quickly it tries to get started, lasts a few revolutions then no longer. Its like the injector is actually giving fuel and it is trying. Maybe the fuel pump is not providing the right pressure? (already checked that accumulator seems fine and fuel filter is new). The fuel distributor air vane gets hard to move so there is some pressure for sure and if I loosen a fuel connection fuel shoots out. In one test, I inserted something inside the air vane to keep the air vane slightly depressed (a strip of spare rubber vacuum line). When I do this I can hear the fuel pump going on, even when the engine is not turning over. But still same behavior and no start.

Does the fact that the fuel injector does seem to make the engine fire a few revolutions but otherwise nothing mean that the fuel injectors are NOT releasing fuel? I cannot imagine they all got clogged simultaneously. Maybe the fuel pump went bad? (or its check valve inside?) Maybe the FD is bad, even though I cleaned it -- it seemed not that dirty...

Thoughts?

Meanwhile I will work on installing window accelerators...

3. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Spicedriver: I just saw your drive and fuel injector test; great idea, will try!

4. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Spicedriver: SUPER THANKS!!!!!

I did your test. I put 4 new injectors on one bank and left them out and put a transparent plastic bag around each (ziplock). Then, I put key in run and press airvane. I hear the fuel pump go but even after 15-20 seconds NO FUEL comes out of the injectors. I even tried starting the car (with the spark turned off). Fuel is getting there because when I remove an injector fuel squirts out, but just not enough pressure. Also, when I stop pressing the air vane after a while of it being pressed, I hear what seems like water moving (presumably fuel) and seems like it is fall back in the tank or so. The first time I did this I though I heard that high pitched whining but now I do not.

So maybe the fuel pump is bad and/or the check valve?

Can this mean the FD is too dirty to get the right pressure? It did not seem to dirty. Is fuel pump more likely?

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The cold start injector adds fuel while the starter motor is turning. If she's firing then, sounds like you have a lean condition, most likely a vacuum leak, although it is possible that all of the injectors are clogged. If there is pressure at the air vane, the fuel pump is probably working okay. In my experience the pumps either work, or don't work at all. Try pressing slightly on the air vane while a helper turns over the engine. It might start that way.

Here's some cheap components to help remove the injectors. I usually only use the coupling nut with a little pry bar. Don't try to pry out the injectors directly.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    How much are you pressing on the air vane ? Press it all the way down. Fuel should spray out of the injectors.

7. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I just tried it again...I pressed the vane all the way down, held for 10-20 seconds. Tried it a few times. I hear the fuel pump clearly. But no sign of fuel out the injectors...

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Well that's a problem.

Could be a fuel pump. Or could be the FD - plunger not aligned properly, slits clogged, fuel passages clogged ?

Cheap gauge kit here. This will show you system, and control pressure. If system pressure is correct, the fuel pump is good.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Tool-Aid-33865/672824579?iid=231576748949&chn=ps

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I believe that the cold start injector is at system pressure, whereas the individual cylinder injectors are at control pressure. The difference is the WUR. Are you sure the WUR is not clogged ? You have to take it apart to get cleaner sprayed through those screens.

10. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I did not take the WUR apart. I did check the little screen/filter visible from the outside. The line from the top of the FD goes there. That filter was quite clean...is there a benefit to taking it apart?

11. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I ordered the CIS fuel pressure tester. Amazon has it too but I ordered the one from Ebay. Not sure if it has the right connectors. do you know what is missing? else I have to wait for it too come, then see, then order....takes time...

maybe clean WUR in the meantime?

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    There is a layer of many screens in there. If you remove the WUR and spray cleaner into the input port, I'll bet there won't be any cleaner coming out of the output port. However, if you disassemble it, and remove the little diaphragm, you will be able to spray cleaner through it. This is a more thorough cleaning process.

Also, I'm wondering if your new injectors are the exact same as the originals. It might be worth a try to pull an original injector out to see if that one will spray.

If the injectors are indeed not spraying fuel, the car should start and run with a can of starting fluid.

13. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    The first time I did your injector test, I did do it with the injector that I removed from the car. So that single injector test failed. Then, I placed a new injector there. Nothing. Then, I put all four new injectors on one bank. Nothing...

ok, will thoroughly clean WUR...

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I was thinking about this, and I don't think the WUR is going to cause this problem. Because when you press the air vane down manually, you are bypassing the WUR control pressure.

Try this test if you like. There is a fuel line junction on the starboard side close to the bodywork, right under the engine cover. Remove the fuel line that goes to the FD input. Attach a rubber hose to the other (threaded) end with a hose clamp. Attach an injector to the other end of the rubber hose with a clamp. Put the injector in a bottle, turn ignition key to run, then press down on the air vane. The injector should spray fuel. If not, you've got a fuel filter, accumulator, or fuel pump failure.

15. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    nice test idea! I think I am starting to understand the FD, WUR, fuel-pump relationship etc...

So, basically I connected an injector straight to the fuel line bringing fuel from the fuel pump. Result was that the injector sprayed lots of fuel (into a bottle). It took about 5-10 seconds of fuel pump running though for it to reach the injector and spray....and I still hear a moving water sound when fuel pump is off. So maybe the check valve inside the fuel pump is bad and fuel is returning to the tank. But this should not affect things when pump is running, right?

I think this means that the system pressure is good enough (well at least it is producing ~50 psi which is what the injectors need, right?). I re-did the test for the injectors on one bank of the engine and still no fuel comes out those injectors.

I think I understand that the WUR alters the fuel on top of the plunger. but if I am pushing the vane myself then it does not matter what the WUR does, correct? so even if it is totally blocked, or totally unblocked it does not come into the equation.

This points to FD itself? right?

I called and left a message for Larry at cisflowtech...

thoughts?

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You are understanding correctly.

There is an inlet filter on the FD. You can try cleaning that.

Also, this regulator inside the FD is what sets the system pressure, by feeding some fuel back to the tank. The return line is the one next to the inlet line. In this video, a tech is adjusting system pressure with shims. You might want to take this out, and have a look at it.

You can also try running fuel through the FD to clean it. Remove the hats on the forward bank as well. These lines can then easily be moved to the back of the motor. Put all 8 hats in bottles, put some injector cleaner in the fuel tank, turn the ignition key to run, press down on the air vane.

And post your question in the 308/328 forum as well. You might find some good tips there.

17. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks! Mine did not have an inlet filter...I a very small amount of debris around there...maybe it broke away...

CISFlowTech will take 5-7 weeks, so I am considering doing a rebuild myself....maybe only need to crack open and change rings that I can see and not completely dismantle etc...

thoughts?

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I would try and avoid taking the FD apart. At least wait until you get your gauge kit. The gauge will show you exactly where the problem is. The pump is capable of producing around 120 PSI. The system pressure regulator reduces this to around 75 PSI. This is that little spring/plunger device that allows some fuel back to the tank through the fuel return line. The cold control pressure is around 40 PSI.

I can't help thinking that the sound of "running water" when the pump is turned off is caused by a leaky accumulator, leaking fuel back into the tank. It is the job of the accumulator to maintain pressure in the system for quicker hot starts.

Another thing you can check for is that the voltage to the fuel pump is correct. It needs to be 11.5V minimum. These cars are known for having electrical power supply problems to the fuel pump.

theunissenguido likes this.
  19. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    We have suggested all the possible ways to find your problem. I think its time to start from scratch :
    - empty and clean fuel tanks (dont use that fuel again in this car) ;
    - clean fuel filter inside tank ;
    - clean and test fuel pump + voltage ;
    - clean New fuel filter purging backwards;
    - check accumulator holding pressure ;
    - test quantity fuel delivery after FD to tanks (1 lt pro 30 sec) ;
    from here on follow WM from page D24 to D60.
    I think this will be the only way to find exactly what happens.
    Guido

20. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    many thanks to you all!

I did before doing anything completely fully empty the fuel tank (using drain plug) -- gas which came out seemed ok, but I did not "wash/clean" it...that would be a pain at this point...I have probably run about 1 gallon of fresh fuel through the system already and it did start and drive a few times up/down the street on the new fuel (I put 5 fresh gallons in). So, I do not think I need to remove/clean the fuel tank at this point...I did change the fuel-filter *after* all the above.

I am waiting for the fuel pressure tester (here Friday).

but my plan is more or less:

-I already checked that out of the back of the accumulator no gas comes out, but still I hear a "water running" sound when I stop cranking...hmmmm
    -fuel filter is new
    -I will make sure fuel pump gets about 12 volts.
    -I will test fuel quantity coming out AFTER the FD to the tanks (return line) (1liter per 30 secs)
    -I will test fuel pressure system/control
    -I will remove all injectors from manifold but keep connected to FD...will put tubes to collect all fuel to a bottle; then I will re-test if fuel comes out; it did not for 4 of 8 injectors; I will put injector cleaning fluid in tank and see if it helps; if so, then run lots of fluid and cleaner through.
    -even if WUR is bad, manually pressing air vane should bypass that.
    -if still no fuel out of injectors, I will measure what pressure of fuel is getting there (there is some fuel, but maybe not enough pressure).
    -if pressure to injectors is too low, then I will open the FD myself and inspect. if looks directly and seems like doing a partial rebuild is helpful, will do. if all looks to clean, then will send out for a rebuild ..... or maybe should just send out for a rebuild at this point; however, Larry will take 5-7 weeks (too long!) I found another guy on ebay that indicates he can do it in a week...

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Good plan,
    maybe also see this video how to tackle this :
    Its mercedes but the same principles.
    FD rebuild : you have to open first to find out what membrame it has...only then you can order a new kit. Watch as many videos as possible so you are confident enough to do this. My motto is : "If someone can do this, I can to !"
    Do you have a workshop manual ? if not get one !
    That car run before, so it will run again....we all went trough this.
    Guido

22. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    An other inntresting video fuel tank cleaning ;

23. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I am still puzzled as to why the injector will spray when connected to the fuel pump output, but won't spray coming out of the FD.

Try this test if you like. Instead of removing the input line at that fuel line junction, remove the return line. Place that in a bottle, then try the injector spray test from the FD. I'm wondering if the system pressure regulator is sending all the fuel back to the tank, and not holding enough pressure to spray the injectors connected to the FD.

24. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  25. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Could be stuck, or the O rings could be worn, allowing fuel past. Can't maintain pressure. One of the other fuel injectors could be stuck open as well.