Mondial Cigarette Lighter/Auxiliary Power | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Cigarette Lighter/Auxiliary Power

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Wade, mine seems to be missing the death star looking thing that guides cigarettes to the heating element on these 70s-80s Fiat/Ferrari lighters. No matter because I don't smoke.

cheers

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #27 soucorp, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...Just a thought, folks using their Mondials this summer at unfamiliar places should pick up a modern aux lighter plug if you don't have one already. I will be using mine for Palooza to plug my GPS unit into.
    The console plug is for skinny Italian cigarettes only!

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Mike,

Where did you end up getting your aux power cord? Did you go with ascycles or did you get it off of ebay?

Bill P.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #29 soucorp, Jun 17, 2013
  5. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I just bought one but my glove box switch just decided to stop working. Is there a manual release? I wonder if it's just stuck. I must check the fuse first though.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Mike,

Just ordered one. Should be here (hopefully) before palooza! If not...Plan B (iPhone) :)

Bill P.

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    My fuse is fine. How do I get into the glove compartment without breaking it?

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #34 soucorp, Jun 18, 2013
    Hi Jay, try this:

With a flashlight into the cracks of top glovebox, try swiping a credit card across the top of the opening to push the plunger down. Its 1/3 of the way from the left side, if a CC doesn't work, maybe a small screw driver should do the trick.

10. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Thanks Mike. In typical Ferrari fashion, my glovebox switch and solenoid is randomly and spontaneously working fine again. But I did put in that adaptor and I'm as happy as a clam to have a phone charger plug that I can use without modifying my cigarette lighter, even though that's a better location. One of the best parts is that it is powered without the key in. Awesome.

11. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Jay, for what its worth, mine worked only sometimes when I got it. I found that if things on the inside of the glove box were applying any pressure against the door, it would cause the plunger to not work. If you find the glove box door doesn't open, apply some pressure against the outside of the door, like your pushing it closed when pushing the switch to open and see if that doesn't do it. I found there was really nothing wrong with it at all.

Hope this helps.
    Brian

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I'll check this morning Brian. EZ Pass and my registration is all that is in there, but maybe it's applying a little door pressure. Good suggestion. I hope that does it.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Since I've rebuilt my fuel door solenoid it does the same, I have to give it a little push to open it. When I'm alone my arms are too short to do it :-(. I've try to lubricate it and it's not better.

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #39 MvT, Sep 19, 2013
    Late echo :)

I converted mine. I didn't needed to make the hole bigger and used the same wiring. This Cigarette Lighter was about 7 USD. ships even with a light. You can argue if it looks nice.. Personally I do not think so, but it is more handy.

However, the light is weaker then it should be.. so somewhere there is a resistor giving the whole console unit less light. Someone figured this one already out to provide these buttons more light?

15. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Believe it or not the entire center console is lit up by 1 bulb that shines on the end of a bunch of fibre optic wires that glow at the ends. It's a terrible design and is actually useless at night.

When I replaced both my lighters I ensured the fibre optics were all clicked into place as they can become dislodged under the black panel. Even the rear lighter on my coupe feeds from the same light bulb. I tried to find a stronger alternative but it's an awkward size and slides into a holder which also holds the fibre optic wires as a bunch.

I remember seeing a thread a while ago where these weak fibre optic lights were replaced with led lights and made huge difference. Is it worth the hassle? Maybe if you drive a lot at night but how often do you look there?

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Fibre optic..? in '87? oh my this is high tech! :eek: too much effort for now, but I often open the glove department rather then opening my windows when I need to or I am actively padding my console in search of my parking light. I guess I will keep using my ceiling lamp then. thx peter for the clarification!

17. sabertooth

sabertooth Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    I JUST WANT TO FIND THE LIGHTER THAT PLUGS INTO THE SOCKET, SOMEONE STOLE MINE WHEN I WAS AT A RESTAURANT WITH MY WIFE...WHY WOULD ANYONE STEAL A CIGARETTE LIGHTER????? DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK, THE ONES ADVERTISED ARE TOO BIG, I WOULD NEED AN OEM.

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have wanted to install a dashcam to post some of my road drives but could not see how to wire it up. And I know my glove box opens because once upon a time I accidentally activated the electric release. I am confident I will find that switch again! And will apply due diligence searching for the auxiliary plug.

To illustrate what a ludite I am; after two years I still have not confirmed what any of the push buttons on the left side of the left row of dash buttons do (the right side includes the trunk release etc). And I still do not know if the radio works, having not once turned it on.

To my simple mind if the car starts, stops, has oil pressure and the temps are good I care not much else! I am off to the mountains. Which is unavoidable where I live.

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The stereo works but you will have a heck of a time figuring out what buttons do what. I googled the model to find out how to operate it but I never used at as the drivetrain was the music I wanted to hear.

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hear Hear!

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I call it the 7700r.p.m. symphony!

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Rob,

You Mondial has found a good home, I can tell you that. Just this very day I was out for my mountain long-way-home beer run and came up behind a pickup truck. I said, oh well and fell in a respectful distance behind. But then the guy used the straights to hit 80+ mph and I had a fun time catching up with him at 90+ mph with heavy braking then falling back again.

Then it got better. That road comes to a dead end T intersection and I speculated he might make a right hand turn and I would need to follow him the next Five miles to my destination. I have one of my special runs on a back road that turns right about 1/4 mile prior to that T intersection and winds its way back onto the same road leading from the main T intersection about 1/2 mile further on.

Full second gear right turn onto that obscure twisty and then a third gear run through the subsequent hard left and came up to the stop sign with full braking. Turned right and he was a bit behind me. He was willing to do the straights at high speed, and knew how to take the turns as well. Modern pickup trucks are not as lumbering through curves as one might expect, and it is conceivable he matched me in rear wheel horse power.

So it was fun to use 7,000 rpms from time to time. He never actually dissappeared from my rear view mirror but it was entirely hopeless. This is actually one of the charms of the Mondial. It is NOT a super car.

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #48 Alden, Jul 11, 2015
    Necropost, I know, but thought this info would be useful for anyone searching the forum in the future.

See my thread here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/490108-factory-dealer-installed-battery-charger-plug.html

And a pic of my charger adapter and the empty plug below.
    Alden

24. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Ciao Tutti!

I am looking for the old euro style cigarette lighters that were in the Mondials.
    I believe they are the Brico Pram ones, those with the heating element in the socket, no removable thingy, you just set cigarette in the hole and press it down.

Does anyone have those and wants to sell them?

Thanks.

25. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Try pm'ing stekkefun4; he helped someone out with this same problem. There was a thread here about it.