mondial-electrical problem / switches ? | FerrariChat

mondial-electrical problem / switches ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stevej33, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevej33

stevej33 Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Lincoln, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Jollands
    hi there all,
    ive got a problem with my electrical bonnet and boot release system on
    my 84 mondial qv. none of the 3 switches operate the release catches,
    so im having to use the emergency cable release, which is a real pain!
    the fuses are all ok, and when i put 12volts across them they all work fine.
    anyone come across this before, or have any idea where i need to look??
    cheers
    steve j

2. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Have you sprayed the solenoids with a light oil? Some times the solenoid( the piston portion of actuator)can stick. It's just strange that all (3)would have the problem. You may want to make this a priority. If the solenoid isn't working, and you were to break the pull cable, you will have a major problem getting the bonnet up.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Applicable to most Mondial switches
    turn off power at battery
    try spraying the switch contacts and inside the switch with Radio Shack electrical cleaner - clean and work the switch action a few times
    let solvent dry off
    reconnect power

has saved me a few times.
    good luck

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Now get ready for this one ! I had the same problem, sometimes the switches would work sometimes not. I sprayed pushed and cleaned all the obvious connections.
    In the end I took the speedo out so I could get to the back of the switches, Once removed I could see that not only where they switches but also relays.
    I took the fronts off and cleaned the connections, this was partially successful, What I discovered was that the connectors on the back of the switch are rivited on ! and were very slightly lose, the only reason I notice this was while pressing the switch to test it, the connection got pretty hot.
    The answer was to take the switch off conpletely ( not big deal) and I just compressed the rivets. Problem solved, a couple of hour tops to do it.

5. stevej33

stevej33 Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Lincoln, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Jollands
    cheers guy's..........
    got myself a job for the weekend!!

thanks for the advice
    steve j