Mondial engine out | FerrariChat

Mondial engine out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mondial86, Apr 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    #1 mondial86, Apr 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My friend and fellow Fchater David's mondial is in need of some very overdue service,so we puled the engine on sat. ,I thought you might like to fallow are adventure.
    The Mondial coupe Major can be done with the engine in the car but their is not allot of room and with a bad back, to me, it is not hard to pull the engine and have it out and exposed to work on.It took about 2.5 hours to get the engine out ,that's better than hours of leaning over into a cramped engine bay to do the service.
    Dave's car had a bad oil leek we thought it might be from the crank seal ,but there is lots of oil up on top of the engine,we are not sure where it is from ,valve covers are NOT LEAKING.It might be from around the oil filter and pressure sending unit .when we get the thing apart more ,I will post more Pict's.
    DAVID
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Keep the info and pics coming !!!

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    David

As I have to do this next weekend, did you encounter any problems?

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    2.5 hours to get it out? Wow! you wanna job? LOL..The last one I did took me almost 4 hours to remove.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Awesome job guys!!!!!!!

Now can you imagine some Ferrari owners get quoted 20hrs to r&r the engine. I don't think so.

I think the thing that worked to your advantage was the shop lift. Please do keep us updated on the work. Buy the way what kind of lift is that?

6. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    OK it was 3 hours including putting it on the lift and all that sort of stuff,I just did this to my old mondial last year so I knew all the tools that we needed and you can save lots of time not looking and fumbling around with the wrong tool.
    will post more Pict's. tonight
    DAVID

7. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    Not relay it is pretty straight forward.The only sticky thing is the shift shaft ,to get it apart the fuel tank cover comes out and you need to put the car in 2nd. gear then separate the shaft from the trany ,and split the 2 pieces,then you need to work the loose shaft back into the body to get it out of the way ,as you do this it will pop out a seal that keeps the outside world from getting in to the cockpit ,that seal is a ***** to get back in place when you put it all back together .
    DAVID

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice job! I wish my 308 was designed like that!!

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    David,
    Outstanding! You mean to tell me I have been working on this damned thing with the engine in and I coulda had the engine out in 3 hours with your help? D'oh!!!!!!!!!

Next service, I'm inviting you over!

Hey, how did you drop the engine? Did you lower it out of the car sitting on the lift, or lift the car up away from the engine?

Birdman

P.S. More pics!

10. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    First off, David I couldn't have done it without your help. Well maybe I would have used high jackstands and figured it out, but your help has been beyond compare. Secondly, I am the loser who owns the car and bought it knowing that this was going to have to happen. Someone told me during the bust of the 80's when I was looking at a BMW 733, that during that time, people could afford to buy the cars but couldn't afford to maintain them. I think this is the exact same thing that has happened to the Mondial's and older 3xx's. As you can tell from the pictures it has been awhile since this car saw any love.
    I posted this when I first bought the car a year ago, the right rear wheel would make awful noises when the brakes were applied. I figured, OK time for new pads and rotors. Took it apart and low and behold, the jackass that worked on it last put one of the brake pads in backwards so that the metal backing plate was up against the rotor! I couldn't believe it. But now David and I are making it right and look forward to a fun summer driving season of looking at the ass end of his beautiful 355!!!!We will keep the pictures coming with our progress.
    David S.
    PS Birdman, let us know when you want to take yours out, I bet we could get it out in less than 2 hours!

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    nice job dave !!!!!! you wanna do my 348 next ???????,

12. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    I had no idea that, with some experience- a Mondial drivetrain removal could be done that quicky. Wow! Great job folks.

Birdman- I told you we should have pulled your engine.....;)

Thanks for the pix, and keep us up to speed on the progress.

John

13. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Send the ramp up and the engine stays where it is,porsche's boxsters 993,996 are removed by the same method.

14. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    #14 mondial86, Apr 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok we worked on the car yesterday and got the valves adjusted ,(thanks to John at Ferrari Independent Service for the shims)put the cams in with new seals,got the belts on and checked the valve adj.,our math was right on!
    About a year or so David and I got together to teach ourself how to tog wield.After many a eye burning evenings we had it down,I remember after bringing 2 pieces of aluminum into 1 beautiful piece with this perfect weld,I looked to David and said"OK now we can do it what the f---k do we do with out new found talent" his response was "I DON'T KNOW BUT IT IS RELAY COOL HOW THIS WORKS LOOK AT HOW COOL THOSE WELDS LOOK "
    We found a use for our tig welding on his car ! The tubes that are used to check each cylinder's exhaust gases had long ago rusted off and it is rare with a fuel injected car that you would need to use them ,and the sheet metal screws looked a bit crude ,we welded them up you can see it all in the Pict's.
    Next week it goes back in the car
    DAVID

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this is great! i would rebuild the waterpump, starter and alternator while you have it that far apart.

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    As someone who is planning on pulling a Mondial 8 engine over the winter, I have been searching for and reading related threads with great interest. I need to do a major service, and when it comes to working on cars, I am very prone to the "well, while I'm in there" syndrome. So I guess that's why I find myself more in the "I want the engine and engine bay to look new" camp, not the "lets just replace the belts and tensioners" camp....crazy, I know!

Anyhow, a few questions: How difficult is it to remove a mondial engine WITHOUT a lift? I don't have one at my place, and don't know of anyone else who has one either. I have heard tales of people doing it without a lift, but have not seen any detailed information on it as far as tools needed and the steps to take. Has anyone here done it before?

I am also always looking for excuses to buy new tools, and would love to have a lift in my garage. The only problem is I think my ceiling may be too short. how tall of a garage cieling do you need to make a lift fit and be useful? I haven't measured my ceiling, but I would guess it is around 8.5 - 9 feet.

Nathan

17. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Nathan, do a search on 348 engine removal - more tips there than in the Mondial/3X8 section. The concept is the same - the engine just sits the other way.

Having done my Mondial t a month ago, it's pretty straight forward - just tedious. And as a doc, be careful of your hands - it is pretty easy to bang up your knuckles, and a crush injury to a finger is all too easy if you're not paying attention.

Dave (Med School dropout)

18. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Nathan,

See my thread," Cheap Ferrari,,,,, Free shipping."

I used a home made wooden dolly ( $ 240.00) and a New floor jack, ($65.00) on my 1981 Euro Mondial 8..

It can be done

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well considering I have pulled the engine out of my 348 ,and help lusso64 pull the engine out of his Mondial t, both without a lift (you take off the rear bumper and use two floor jacks), I don't think it is that difficult to do. I don't have the instructions for pulling the engine from a regular Mondial, but if I'm not mistake you can change the belts in stu, the same way they do it on the 308 & 328s. Run a search of the archives, and you should be able to find what you need.

20. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Excellent.....looks like you jacked it using the jacking points just in front of the rear wheel wells? With only one jack did you just jack each side a little at a time while using stands on the side not being jacked? I was concerned that I might not be able to lift the car high enough with a floor jack to let the engine roll out from underneath, but from your pictures I see it is possible.

For those that have taken off the rear bumper to lift the car, where did you place the jack?

21. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Nat,

Yes, yes and yes..... chock the front wheels,, and lift a little at a time on the jacking points...
    BTW I did have two floor jacks, , , but the smaller jack didn't help with the final lift.

Don't jack on the bumper,,, it is fiberglass.

Good luck, it's really easy