Mondial experts -- an opinion please | FerrariChat

Mondial experts -- an opinion please

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GrigioGuy, Jan 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    While I am not a Mondial expert, here are a couple of Mondial specific things that jump out at me:

The white car has had the fusebox upgrade - a very good thing. Clutch recently changed at about the average miles - good. Seems straight, has been driven a bit. Average engine bay; Upgraded steering wheel. Great price @$22K if checks out.

Yellow car - has the black side strakes which did come from the factory on the early cars, but do not think that the funky black hood grill did. Says recent major - would check belt replacement (both cars). Clean carfax. Nice colors besides the black out. This car's price ($26K), while reflecting a lot of invested money, is quite near QV money, which does make a noticible power (and re-sale) impact.

Other than that, the usual 308 GTBi things apply (service, belts, etc.) and would get a PPI.

hope this helps getting started.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm not a Mondial expert either, but love them. I agree with snj5's comments. The fusebox upgrade is a big deal. The fuseboxes on these things really suck. For the kind of money they want for both of these, they should need nothing, NADA, not a damned thing, because even the $22K one is at the top end of what 8's are worth. $26K is well into "excellent" QV territory and if I were going to spend that much on a Mondial, I would be looking for a similar condition QV, not an 8.

Personally, neither one does much for me in the color department, though the yellow one is certainly a little different and spunky. I have never been a fan of white Ferraris.

Birdman

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for the comments.

So, what should the price for a Mondial 8 coupe be? I haven't seen many for sale, and most are in the low 20s. Are we looking at $15K for a driver? Less? Any leads?

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You can look in the Rosso section for what I paid for the 8.

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Both of these are top money for a Mondial 8 as Russ and Birdman mentioned.
    Also as Erik stated my 2 Mondial purchases are in the same thread in Rosso.
    Im biased driving a 3.2 now, but i wouldnt even consider the 8 model unless i stole a mint one in the mid teens that was the right color for me.

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #7 snj5, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What most people miss with the Mondial is: 'What are you going to use it for?"
    While a little power is always good, the strength of the Mondial is it's Grand Tourismo usability and balance. My analogy here is a Porsche 356, a car which I also adore. While not a blazing straight line performer, the balance, driving experience, build quality and over all class are timeless. The Mondial is much the same. Having had the good fortune to drive the Mondial on the back roads of Europe, the Grand Tourismo capability and balance are what Ferrari had in mind. It is just brilliant. I took many family trips with baby Robin in the back cruising at 120 on the Autobahn, and rowing the engine with the gearshift through the stunning German forest B-roads as the engine sang in harmony with the Andrea Bocelli tape. Read some European reviews of the 8 when it first came out - this was NOT lost on them and they raved about the 8. The Mondial in all of it's guises is really a VERY European car. Georg Karcher, C&D Euro correspondant living in Europe, was quoted in a contemporary Mondial road test saying the Mondial 3.2 was then the best Ferrari built.
    While a little power with the qv would be a good buy in the mid - high twenties, a good Mondial 8 in the high teens/low 20s to me represents a HECK of a lot of car and driving experience for the money. It is a terrific hand built GT.

So, if your friend is after a definitive Grand Tourismo experience which is about class and balance - the Mondial 8 is exceptional in it's price range for what it is. The QV even more so. I am very biased toward a 3.2 being the definitive and best version (even more than the t which I chose the 3.2 over, which the t is also a terrific GT car), but that's just me.

Best wishes, and good luck to your friend
    rt
    Mondial Insurgent
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Most decent driver Mondial 8's I've seen listed for sale are in the 15-20K range.

9. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I can't say much about the Mondial but wanted to chime in that I purchased my '85 308 from Interstate Motorsports (they are the seller of the yellow Mondial you listed) in March of last year... They were a nice bunch of guys and I would definately buy from them again if I was in the market.

Scott

10. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Lets hear for Russ, best comments Ii have ever heard about a Mondial. he is quite correct, know what you what it for, if you are after a touring car with good balance, space pace etc. as Russ said, it is superb, I did a fair amount of touring around in mine last year and now really appreciate it's qualities. It is a long way from being a "fast" car but the joy of driving distances in comfort is a joy !

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Looks like Russ has said it all.

His analogy with the 356 is spot on - I loved my '63 356B 1600S coupe & I think the world of my '89 Mondial t coupe. The only downfall in Mondial ownership that I can find is the lack of knowledge from some Ferrari owners about the positive attributes of the full Mondial lineup. The stigma of "Mondial" seems hard to overcome - until they see my car - or I give them a ride.

Anyhow... Theses two Mondials look super. I am comfortable with the price set for both, but agree that they are at the top of the price bracket for the vintage. I think the thoughts of finding examples in the mid to high teens are correct, but the cars you find in the teens may not be as well represented as these two. There is something to be said for "buying with confidence." It may make it worth the premium.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There is starting to be a stronger group of cheerleaders for the Mondials. Russ, Sam, Tom, etc... While I don't want to "change somebody's mind", we can provide them with the facts and let them know how much they are missing out.

I've got my work cut out for me. I'm also the cheerleader for the 365/400/412 cars... :D

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    As I said before, the Mondial is THE bargain of the Ferrari world. To those who think it is ugly, to each his own. I just don't get that. I think it is tasteful yet still exotic.
    As far as "slow"...maybe it is, but it FEELS fast. I enjoy driving my Mondial WAY more than a c5 Corvette, that of course outperforms it 10x over.

It is the total experience.
    Now, as to price, you get a Mondial 8 (vs. any other Mondial model) if it is:
    1) A very nice driver for low to mid teens, OR
    2) Need NOTHING (I mean fresh major, no stories, everything works) for high teens to low 20's.

The Mondial 8 is a good value if the price is low and it is sorted out. If your budget allows you to advance to a QV or, better yet, a 3.2 for about 5-15k more for one in good condition, then do it.
    In summary, get the best car you can afford, regardless of model. It costs less to let the last owner sort it out.
    Thus a $20,000 “perfect” Mondial 8 is a better buy than a $18,000 qv that needs work.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I don't believe I would be disappointed to own any Ferrari. Always had an affinity for Late 60's early 70's American muscle cars. That now extends to Ferrari's.

15. SFerrari

SFerrari Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    MG
    As a "Mondial" owner, I just wouldn't go for a "8" ; which for my opinion does not worth the weak price difference with a Quatrovalvole which is more decent in terms of HP, handling, reliability, or even jump to 3.2 version which is for sure a great car and engine. I think the price difference between a "8" and a 3.2 really worth the investment.
    Try to go at least for the QV with 240HP, just my own point of view..

Good luck anyway, a Mondial is still a great car, and definitly deserve its prancing horse on it.

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If you can get an 8 for mid-teens, do it. More than $20k, go QV.

17. Tostapchuk

Tostapchuk Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TJO
    While that white Mondial 8 looks like a nice car, I'd just like to say that the owner of Forza up in Gaylordsville is a really nice guy. He let me wander throughout his small warehouse when I scheduled a visit there almost 8 or 9 years ago. They don't have a regular showroom, nor do they do a ton of volume. Although I have not done business with them, I am planning on it at some point in the near future. The people up there are very nice and seem more interested in selling decent cars than turning junk out for a quick buck.

-TJO

18. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Here is the carfax on the first. I will run the other and post it.

Jon

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! No severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435). If you find that any of the following severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Salvage Title Loss Due To Fire Title
    Junk Title Flood Damage Title
    Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Hail Damage Title
    Dismantled Title Canadian Total Loss

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
    No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
    No Police Accident Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 19.Jan.2005 17:18:25. New data will result in a change to this report.
    Not all accidents are reported to the Police. Tell us if you know of other fender benders, accidents or damage.

Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! No major odometer problems were ever reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435). If you find that any of the following odometer problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
    Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435).

Date: Mileage:
    06/24/1997 35,193
    07/13/2000 49,000
    12/19/2000 49,350
    07/18/2001 49,644
    03/07/2002 49,651
    06/21/2003 54,693
    06/26/2003 54,731

Do you know this vehicle's current mileage? Tell us and help protect others from mileage fraud.

GOOD NEWS! No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435). If you find that a manufacturer buyback was reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435) had 3 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
    1st owner No data No data
    2nd owner 03/07/2002 Connecticut
    3rd owner 06/18/2003 New York

Types of Owners:

This 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435) was checked for 8 types of registrations.

No Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
    No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
    No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
    No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported

Do you have information about how this vehicle was used or driven? Tell us what you know.

FERRARI does not report recall information for specific vehicles to CARFAX.
    Go to the CARFAX SAFETY & RELIABILITY REPORT for recalls issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8. You can also contact an authorized dealership or FERRARI at 201-816-2600 to find out if this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435) still has recalls that require repair.

CARFAX cannot calculate the remaining coverage for this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435) because no original manufacturer warranty information was reported to CARFAX by its source.

Estimated start date of warranty: 08/16/1989
    Last reading reported on 06/26/2003: 54,731 miles
    Today's Date: January 19, 2005

Type of Coverage: Original Warranty:
    Basic No data reported to CARFAX
    Drivetrain No data reported to CARFAX
    Emissions No data reported to CARFAX
    Corrosion No data reported to CARFAX
    Transferable No data reported to CARFAX
    Roadside Assistance No data reported to CARFAX
    Safety Belt & Inflatable Restraint No data reported to CARFAX
    Specific Components No data reported to CARFAX

CARFAX Warranty Check provides an estimate of this vehicle's remaining warranty coverage. It does not take into account some vehicle history events. For example, major accidents resulting in Salvage or Junk titles that may void the original manufacturer warranty or ownership transfers that may decrease warranty coverage. This warranty information is only valid for vehicles manufactured for sale in the US. Complete warranty coverage information is available for this vehicle at the FERRARI web site.

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 13 record(s) for this 1982 FERRARI MONDIAL8 (ZFFAD08A9C0038435).

Date:
    Mileage Reading:
    Source:
    General Comments:

08/16/1989 Massachusetts
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Lynbrook, NY
    Title #AE553343
    Title or registration issued
    Loan or lien reported

06/24/1997 35,193 Massachusetts
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Amherst, MA
    Title #AQ353826
    Loan or lien reported

06/24/1997 Massachusetts
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    South Deerfield, MA
    Title #AQ353826
    Loan or lien reported

07/13/2000 49,000 Connecticut
    Inspection Station
    Passed emissions inspection

12/19/2000 49,350 Connecticut
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Rocky Hill, CT
    Title #025809835
    Title issued or updated

12/19/2000 Connecticut
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Rocky Hill, CT
    Title #025809835
    Title issued or updated

07/18/2001 49,644 Dealer Inventory
    West Hartford, CT
    Vehicle offered for sale

03/07/2002 49,651 Connecticut
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Westport, CT
    Title #026670640
    Title issued or updated
    New owner reported

03/07/2002 Connecticut
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Westport, CT
    Title #026670640
    Title issued or updated

06/18/2003 New York
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Cedarhurst, NY
    Title issued or updated
    New owner reported

06/21/2003 54,693 New York
    Inspection Station
    Passed safety inspection
    Failed emissions inspection

06/21/2003 New York
    Inspection Station
    Passed safety inspection
    Failed emissions inspection

06/26/2003 54,731 New York
    Inspection Station
    Passed safety inspection
    Passed emissions inspection

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Detailed Vehicle History Definitions:

Failed Emissions Inspection
    The emissions check performed during a vehicle inspection indicated the vehicle was emitting more than allowable emissions standards and/or had missing or modified parts. Repeated failed emissions records can indicate engine problems and CARFAX recommends you have the vehicle inspected.

New Owner Reported
    When a vehicle is sold to a new owner, the Title must be transferred to the new owner(s) at a Department of Motor Vehicles.

19. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Couldn't find a vin for the white one. Sorry.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Many thanks, Jon. I'll pass that along

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    This yellow 82 i almost bought. It was advertised as fully restored, back in 2002. It had new paint, but was previously red before. Otherwise it was very needy. I got the dealer down to $16,500 but later passed as there was an issue with the DMV computers that day, and my gotta have it subsided.

Later it was on Ebay and sold for 21k from the same dealer. Ran into the guy who bought it, and from time to time we talked regarding the issues he had with it.

Good news for a new buyer he spent upwards of 24k on deferred maintance, etc.
    The 30k was done, new leather interior, new spoiler and grill (hit a fox)
    Think the a/c and muffler were replaced too. Plus much more
    All the work was done at Miller in Greenwich.
    This car is a classic example why you must get a PPI done!
    I believe in the end he sold it in 2003 for 24k after putting in close to 50k! including purchase price. Ouch that had to hurt.

22. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Totally agree, tried several '8' s and then the QV, no contest!

23. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
  24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I realize this isn't for everyone, but sometimes I think about getting an 8 for <15, doing the belts and retrofitting carbs for about $5-6K, and getting qv power and carb simplicity for $20K. So easy to do.
    best
    rt

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks Dean. 30K is too much to pay for any Mondial 8, but I truly appreciate the link. I'll pass it along.

Russ, you're a trip :)

Dave, thanks for the info on the yellow car