Mondial heater not staying hot please advise | FerrariChat

Mondial heater not staying hot please advise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by copterjon, Nov 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    When I turn on the heater in my 88 Mondial it starts blowing hot then cools down with in a couple of minutes. I can hear water going into the heater core when it is first switched on so I'm wondering if there is some type of control valve malfunctioning. This is not so much of a problem to me as it is to my wife, however she is not the one who will have to fix it. I hope this does'nt cost more than a couple of nice winter Ferrari jackets LOL.
    Thanks,
    Copterjon

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Any leaks that you can tell? Puddles? Loosing coolant?

3. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    No coolant leaks detected.

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Okay, so it should not be the heater core (good news).

I don't have the shop manual for that one, is the heater control valve mechanically actuated?

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Actually, I believe that the heater valve is electrically controlled. According to the older manual (for my '84), the valve is open when it is not activated, and closes when it is. So if it's closing, it is getting power from the rheostat control unit. Sounds like the sending unit is giving confused signals. Should be able to check that at the valve with a multi-meter. On the '84, the valve is located at the fire wall under the dash, IIRC.

6. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I believe that it is electronically operated as well. Perhaps it might have something to do with the temp switch. As soon as the temp starts cooling down I turn the switch to the blue and then to the red again and it gets real warm for a moment.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This makes me glad that my old 308 just has a mechanical lever.

I hope it is not too expensive to repair. Don't buy anything until you call T.Rutlands and see if they have whatever part you need USED. It can save you lots $$

8. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    If you have access to a workshop manual, check to see if there are any troubleshooting ideas for the heating system. The 3.2 Mondials have an electric water pump/heater valve made by Bosch. Possibly this has failed or is corroded/crusty with minerals. Some MBZ and BMW models use the same or similar pump and there are kits available for some of them. I can do some more research if you determine this may be the culprit.
    Brian

9. Swissmondial

Swissmondial Karting

May 7, 2005
    England
    I have same problem with 89 mondial 3.2.
    Havent investigated yet, but I hear the water coming thru then it goes quiet and the heat goes away. I am wondering if there is air in the system, there is a bleed valve on the top of the radiator.

10. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have the exact same problem, once the engine is warmed up you leave the control at max heat but with the stop PB in then you press the A/E PB and you get a brief burst of hot air then it goes cold again. therefore the heater is working and there isn't air in the system does anyone have the relavant pages in the manual they could send me a copy thanks

also have the old control box PB panel which looks like it has vacuum connections as well as electrical conectors may be tempted to open it up.

Cold but with still a silly smile on face whenever I drive it.

Jim

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Mondial hot water flow is governed by an electrovalve. If you look on page 47 of the 3.2 owners manual it is item #10. The air temperature sensor can be seen back on page 23 (interior fold-out) sitting under the driver's left side as item #49. Ensure that this little air channel (which has it's own little fan) is clear to recieve fresh current ambient air. See, once this thing warms up, it thinks the whole car is warm. Based on you initially getting the burst of warm air, I'd start with this sensor doofer or the rheostat as second possibility.
    Would clean all air passages and wire connections. Remember, it even says in the manual that the system works gradually.

I agree with the honorable gentleman from Alabama - levers and cables are far more reliable.

best
    rt

12. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Living in Arizonia do you even need a heater?

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #13 snj5, Jan 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The parts manual available through FChat sponsor Ferrari UK shows the parts. I've copied below so you know what the parts look like.
    The electovalve ( circled as part #38) is called a 'heater valve' and is part #61079000 HEATER VALVE and is located on the starboard side of the car under the dash - you may even hear it click from time to time.
    The sensor is shown with it's little fan (part # #61983500) which pulls the air over it. The sensor (#61079100) is about $100.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The system is fairly easy to diagnose. You can disconnect the eletrical connector at the heater valve. It's located in the car, in the upper right side of the passenger footwell.

I then plug a 12v noid light into the connector, but any small 12v bulb could be used. Turn on the ignition (you don't have to start the car), turn on the heater and observe the bulb illumination.

When the temperature reostat is set to full cold the light should be on continuously, with it set to full hot it should be off. In between those settings the light should flash on and off. The period of the flash is dependant on the setting of the reostat, the in-car temperature sensor and the heater temperature sensor. You will most likely find that the electrical portion of the system in functioning properly.

The typical failure of the system is that the rubber diaphragm inside the heater valve tears/disintegrates. You can check the valve by unplugging the eletrical connector (no power causes the valve to open), and running the car. The output from the heater vents should be hot. If it's not then the heater valve is defective.

The valve can be repaired. BMW and Mercedes use the same basic Bosch valve, and valve insert repair kits are available from them for much less than a new valve. It is also available from Bosch through aftermarket suppliers.

To replace the insert, first drain the cooling system, then unbolt the valve from the footwell, but leave the hoses connected. Then unscrew the four screws holding the insert into the body. Remove the insert along with the coil. Replace the insert, being careful to make sure that the wiring to the coil is aligned with the notch in the coil, so that it doesn't short out.

Before you refill the cooling system, plug the electrical connector back in, and check that the valve functions. You should be able to hear the valve click/thump as it opens and closes.

Good luck!
    Brian Brown
    Patrick Ottis Co.
    Berkeley, CA

15. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I took a look at the heater control valve and found that its getting permanent 12v with no pulsing on and off whatever the temp rheostat is set to, so when I pulled the plug off I I had a hot car, had a look at the temperature sensor on the drivers side and put a meter across it it seems to work the resistance goes down when its heated and resistance rises again when cooled. My next step is to open up the center console and test the rheostat. where does the control box that compares the required temperature and the current temperature and produces a pulse to control the heater valve live?

Thanks for the advice in the previous posts.

Jim

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One other thing to check is that relay "m" (a Bosch ...101 relay mounted on the AC unit itself) is not stuck (or dead) and is getting the right signals. The way the water valve system should work is (TR have the same approach):

1. When the key is "on", the BR wire to the water valve 63 is always at +12V and the MN wire going to terminal 85 of relay m is also always at +12V.

2. When the AC "STOP" button is pushed, the GV wire going to terminal 86 of relay m is left open (i.e. not connected to anything) -- so relay m is not actuated and the ground signal on terminal 30 of relay m is connected to terminal 87a which in turn applies a ground signal to the MB wire going to the water valve. Since +12V is now always present across the water valve, it is held always closed.

3. When any of the "active" AC buttons is pressed, the GV wire at the pushbutton unit is connected to ground, which puts terminal 86 of relay m to ground, which actuates relay m and breaks the 30-to-87a connection. This removes the constant ground signal from the MB wire side of the water valve and that MB wire is now controlled by the AC ECU.

Just some things you might check (if you can find relay m ;))

Alternatively, if you just remove relay m from its socket and turn the heat "on" and still measure +12V across the water valve (i.e., no heat) -- this would be a bad sign for the ECU.

17. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    This does not sound right at all. Are you sure that you have adequate coolant in the system and it is properly bled? Draining, flushing and refilling would be a lot easier than chasing down anything electrical in a Mondial and even if that doesn't solve the problem, you are no worse off.

18. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Jim,
    The heater control unit is under the passenger footplate. It is a plastic box with two 6 pin electrical connector. There are three temperature sensors in the system: the in-car sensor in the dash, the heater core sensor that plugs into the front of the heater core, and the evaporator sensor that is in the left rear of the evaporator. Since you are only having a prolem with the heater valve, then only the in-car sensor and the heater sensor come into play.
    The easiest way to check the resistance of the sensors is at the connector for the control unit. The service manual has a very good description of which pins to measure across and what the resistances should be.
    The heater and in-car sensors should be 32k ohms at 0 degC and 5k ohms at 40 deg C. The temperature control potentiometer varies from 0-10K ohms.

Brian

19. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Hi guys,
    I have'nt had much time to play with the mondial since the holidays were very busy for me. Thanks so much for the replies and great tips. I plan on looking at a few issues this weekend although I'll probably be out driving it since it's supposed to be in the low to mid 80's. Mark, us desert dwellers are pretty much wimps when it gets cold in the evenings. You can always tell who the midwesterners are out here in the winter cause they're running around in shorts and tank tops (wife beaters if you live in certain areas). I will become a subscribed member soon and will post some pics of my car. Again thank you all!
    Copterjon

20. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I started fooling around with the car tonight and found that it might be the sensor in the dash thats giving me the problems. After getting the car good and warm I turned on the heater and was welcomed with warm air. In just a little bit it started cooling down, thats when I blew some "dust off "computer cleaner into the sensor and got warm air again. The longer I held the cool air to the sensor the hotter it got. Since I can't drive around blowing cool air into this thing, is there a way to trick it?
    Thanks,
    Copterjon

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    There is a little fan that is supposed to pull air through it (see picture previous post below):
    I'll bet if you take the fan out, clean out the crap and clean the connections it will work just like new (whatever that was... :) )

22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    How does one get at this little fan without breaking anything? Does the temp sesor in the dash just pry out? Do I have to tear off the glued carpet on the side footwell oanel, remove the panel to get at this fan? Is there some obvious way to tell if the fan is going on and working? Can you hear it, when does it go on, how long does it stay on? I would appreciate any practical help here...

23. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Well I'm back at it with the heater issue again. My question is basically the same as moysiuans. Also can this thing be tricked? I'm starting to get the wierd feelings again about why I got out of F-cars for a while. The evenings and early mornings are getting cold here and my wife doesnt want to go anywhere in this thing. The Idea behind getting this car was to enjoy it together, that is me driving and her looking good LOL. Russ I'm sure you have the answer to this. Thanks,
    Copterjon

24. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    OK, got the little fan down below the dashboard with a little gentle manouvering. I checked it and it works just fine. With the car running at temp and the fan totally disconnected I'm getting heat through the whole temp range. From this I would assume It's the sensor that might be not working correctly. Having said all that I think I found my trick. What do yáll think?

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Push the button harder. :D