Mondial problems? | FerrariChat

Mondial problems?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 512man, Feb 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Hi guys!
    I have been offered a 85 Mondial QV,italian car with 110000km.Seller says it runs perfect and is in mint condition.Service book should be complete.History says 4-5 owners.no problems on the car spec,no accidents.Price is right.
    I'm going to look on the car in the beginning of next week.
    Are there any special weaknesses,rust or other problems on this modell?
    Iv'e searched for threads but could not find any big issues,so please help me out.

Thanks.

Tobbe

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    If the price is too right that might be a sign.

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Tobbe

I just went through this exercise, and I bought an 85 QV Coupe. Here's what I found, and what I looked for:

1. The only rust I found, was under the battery tray.
    2. Shifting. When cold, shifting from first to second is very stiff. This completely disappears when the engine/transmission warms up. Apparently this is a very common issue.
    3. Slow Windows. Another very common issue.
    4. If the car is a Coupe - the sun roof is a very problematic component. I've even read (in books - not in forums) that it is best to never touch the sun-roof controls. Even thinking about opening the sun-roof could cause a failure.
    5. Check to make sure that both toolkits are there (one of them is the jack bundle). These are expensive to replace.
    6. Check for the owners manual, warranty book, other documents. These are also expensive to replace.
    7. Timing Belts, Oil Changes, Gearbox Oil Change, etc. Check for recent services.
    8. Wheels/Tires. Check to see if the car has the original TRX tires/wheels. These are expensive to replace. I think only one manufacturer makes them now. My car came with the original TRX wheels, as well as a set of standard size wheels/tires. That was a huge bonus for me, as TRX tires cost about $500 per tire. Standard tire sizes are available from many manufacturers at costs ranging from $70 to $150 per tire.
    9. Either get a PPI (highly recommended) or take a knowledgeable mechanic with you to visit the car. I took a mechanic with me to visit/drive the car. We had the seller put the car up on a rack both before and after the test drive.
    10. Leaks - I've read and been told that all old Ferraris leak various fluids. That this is normal. Mine is weeping a very little from the Valve covers. I'll let others comment on this. As I could trace the leak to the valve cover, it didn't concern me much.
    11. Rubber parts/hoses. As these are now 30 years old, ask/check to determine when/if any of the hoses, lines, etc. have been changed. If they are original, you might want to plan on changing them soon. I've read stories of Ferraris of this vintage catching fire due to old fuel lines rupturing.
    12. I don't think this applies to you, but for us here in the US, we have to pass certain inspections to get our cars registered. In the state that I live (Texas) we are required to have the original emissions equipment still in place. We don't have to conduct an emissions test, they just look to verify that the equipment is still installed.

Take the car on a test drive, and wind it up. I took mine on an "enthusiastic" drive (nothing dangerous) that actually had the seller grinning and enjoying the ride. These cars feel heavy at slow (parking lot) speeds, but really come alive when speed picks up.

For me, the most important things in my search were:
    1. Service history
    2. How the car drove/felt/sounded during the test drive.
    3. Mechanical condition was more important to me, than physical items such as paint, leather, etc. For me, a great running and usable car was more important than a stunning looker.

Hope this helps.

Sid

4. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    #4 512man, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Hi Sid!
    It helps a lot,Thank you for a very informative answer.Are you satisfied with your car?
    This coupe has no sunroof,2 sets of Wheels(1 original i hope).The other issues i will check.
    About the emissions Sweden is great when the car is 30 years.....No controls at all:)
    We will se what happends,if i buy it i post a photo.
    Thanks!!

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Tobbe

I'm very satisfied with the car. This Mondial is my first Ferrari. The only downside is that I can't drive it this week. We are having snow and ice here in Dallas!!!

Like all older, "Vintage" cars, it has it's problems (all very small so far).
    Nothing that worries me or bothers me much. I have 3 other old cars, so I'm used to and accepting of things like slow windows. Some of the "issues" (windows, sun roof) to me, are more like opportunities for interesting work (fun). I enjoy working on older cars.

The car drives great. As I mentioned, it's my first Ferrari so I don't have any other F-Cars to compare it to. But to me, it's a fun, reliable car. It's a blast to drive. I've never had a car that revs so quickly. Blink your eyes and the revs have gone from 4k to 8k instantly. And personally, I like having a Coupe. Convertibles are fun, but when it comes time to replace the top, not so much. You should see me trying to replace my Karmann Ghia top right now. My wife has learned a few new words from me during this process.

Now, if the sun would just come back and get rid of this strange white stuff, I'd go out and have some fun.

Sid

6. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Tobbe:

Speaking directly to your concern about rust: As most Ferraris tend to be better cared-for than most cars of their vintage, I'd be surprised if you found much rust. Of course, if it had been in an accident at one point, there may be an opportunity for rust where a less than adequate repair had been made.

That said:

For rust, I'd look at the bottom of the doors, underneath the sills, and around the rubber strip below the rear glass, especially where it meets the long front-to-back portion on the C-pillars. (look for paint bubbles there). Look around the edges of the fuel filler door and behind it. A general inspection of the bottom of the car will perhaps tell you if it had seen a lot of winter driving or extended periods of being parked outside. I would be unconcerned about light surface rust on some underbody components. Look for evidence of re-painting or surface imperfections that might suggest body-filler under the paint.

The front spoilers will often be damaged... look for repairs and overall symmetry.

The lack of a sunroof is an advantage in that there are fewer opportunities for problems, particularly those that may stem from poor drainage around the sunroof.

Look at the edges of the windscreen and rear glass for signs of delamination. These will show up as blotchy white areas beginning at the edges of the glass. This seems to be fairly common, and I have a slight amount on my rear glass. It hasn't progressed or changed in any way that I can see, so I don't think this is something to be worried about if you do see it.

All of the usual areas to check for mechanical, engine, and electrical issues are well-covered by other threads in this forum. Sid has described a lot of these.

Charles

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    For a car with this many miles a PPI is a must, and have it done by someone who works of Ferrari's.

Look at the records and make sure the required services have been performed. Without records you are flying blind. Believe me I am going thourgh this now.

Find out when the last major was performed and find out what was actually done during this service.

Drive the car and see how you like it. They are hard to shift into second when cold, and heavy at slow speeds. At speed when warm, wow what fun.

What ever you pay for the car have at least $5K in your back pocket to pay for after purchase surprises, $10K would be better.

Good luck.

8. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Thanks for your informative inputs guys.It seems that the Mondial don't have any special modeltype problems.When a car is 30 years everything can happend,especially Italians:)
    The seller says the car is in mint condition,but i'm pretty sure it's not.
    I worked as a mechanic for many years and i'm looking for a car with not to much to do.
    Mechanical issues is no problem,if the costs dont hit the roof...but rust....i hate rust.

The garage owner is away on wintersports,so i have no chance to see the car before tuesday,then we see what happends..

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hi Tobbe, since you are from Sweden and the Mondial being a '85 model check the sills (tröskel) on rust. You can look into them from the rear by taking off the inner fender. Also the back trunk take away the fabric to have a good look as well as under the trunk on the outside above the exchaust. For the rest. you just mentioned that mechanical problems are not really a problem for you :) hope it is something for you as they are fun to drive:)

10. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Hi Tijn,thanks for the advice.

Yeah,i do really hope this is something for me.30 year old cars a really cheap to own in Sweden so the 85 Mondial is a nice combo..Fast,fun and really affordable.

My wife is also a car lover and i think this is perfect for her.

The sun is shining here now and the snow is gone,roads are starting to dry...Fun days are coming:)

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I bought a 1986 coupe sight unseen because I liked the color (Prugna Metallica). My only requirement from the buyer was that upon delivery (enclosed transport) that I drive it twice around the Walmart parking lot without spraying fluids or metalic components.

After two years and almost ten thousand miles later I am one happy camper. OK. EYE trashed the clutch at 7,700 rmps on a 90F day. But the local wrench, who never once touched a Ferrari, fixed it first rate for $2,000 labor. Since then one $450 NAPA starter and one battery.

My advice is to drive the car vigorously, but not like me as a maniac the first 6,000 miles. Thats what did in the clutch. And wore out Pirrelli P-Zero Neros in 6,000 miles.

1) Never warm the car up at idle.
    2) Normally shift at 3,500 rpms even with lite throttle.
    3) Exercise the windows and sunroof every time you drive away. If they stop the tool kit has cranks etc.
    4) Exercise the wipers. In the car wash or with a hose on them.
    5) Add top oil to the gasoline. I use 8 oz 2 cycl synthetic oil every tank but others use Marvel Mystery Oil. No kidding.
    6) Consider 60/40 glycol water cooling solution. I did this to depressurize the nuclear reactor capable cooling system that has two or three dozen hoze connectors. I live at 2,000 ft elevation, and have run hard at 90F and never bubbled one ounce out of the system in nearly 10,000 miles.

I use the Mondial as my daily car for the last couple of years. Just get in, turn the key, and drive away. Twice I have put the battery charger on the MAXX but when I walk past the Mondial I never get to the MAXX .... Well. men my age remember Sophia Loren.

What else is there to say.....

12. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Thanks for advice David!

Yeah,prugna is fantastic on the F-cars and it sounds like you found a nice example...
    My plan was to look on the car tomorrow(5 hours drive)but it's been delayed for several reasons,now the plan is friday.I explaine later..
    Men in my age prefer Sophia lorens daughter:)

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #13 Rapalyea, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did not know she had a daughter!

As for buying a Ferrari I took 'pot luck'. The seller was in the 'older' exotic business and was charging a high price for this example [listed $34,000] but got it for an undisclossed lower price.

My experience with all my used cars, and thats about all I have bought over the years, is this. In whatever manner it ran when I gave it a cold start and long vigorous test drive is about what it runs like for the next ten years.

My nephew became interested in a used BMW 650 long wheel base or something and asked me to test drive it. Three miles laters I said forget it and told him to drive my 1991 Prepped and Supercharged Lincoln Mark VII and really step on it. Just about perfect.

That BMW was like a very powerful 2-CV. The Mark VII is my favorite Detroit Iron competition to the Deutche Works. I am building a new one as we speak. The last one would run 130 mph in dead silence, rock steady, at 3,000 rpm.

This one will be more hot rod. Sewer pipe sized exhaust, standard [not truck] stall speed torgue converter and shorter gears. The old one had 2.73 gears and truck torque converter and would STILL smoke rear tires at the drags if not careful. Ran down a Vette C-5 over Blood Mountain back in the day.

This one will be for strutting its stuff slow with a deeply menacing low burbble.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    #14 512man, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After a lot of problems with unserious seller the Mondial is finally mine.
    The car was discribed as mint with filled servicebook.....Haaa.

Servicebook is missing but iv'e checked with 2 workshops that i know serviced the car and documentations is on its way.When i looked on it i saw complete new brakes,new original exhaust.Car runs well and overall it feels solid.It's not a mint car,but the price was ok.

I must say that i really like the modell,much more space then i expected for a tall swede:)

I am going to drive it a lot this spring and see whats needs to be improved.
    My wife loves it.

Thank you guys..

Tobbe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Beautiful car!

Drive it with passion!

welcome to the Mondi family

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats Tobbe! Safe journeys! she looks very nice and I do love the TRX tyres :D
    Near Stockholm by any chance? We are planning to drive up for a change in the end of Summer.

17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Welcome and congratulations, Tobbe! Enjoy in good health.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Thank you guys for varm welcoming:)
    Tijn:the car came with new 18"really "blingbling" rap weels so i had to make some Quick photos with the originals TRX for the ensurance.I like them to,what i dont like is the price of the tires....
    I live near Växjö so you almost past me on the way to Stockholm..

Beautiful morning here and i´m going to take her out for a spin today:)

19. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Congratulations Tobbe. I know you will enjoy your day. It is even better driving them than the anticipation.

I too have an 85 Mondi that I bought in Italy. However it was 6 months before I could drive it in France as I could not get the letter of confomity out of Ferrari maronello without the help of the customer service rep. Without that letter I could not get it registered and licensed here. Sweden must not be quite as strict.

However, if you find you do need to get it, let me know as I have the name and email address of the wonderful lady who finally cut through all the inertia at the factory. Of course, it also means you have to go to a local dealer and pay them an outrageous sum to take some pics and send in the request to maronello.

I bet your smile will be brighter than the northern lights during your drive.

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    pffew! 18"!! Not sure which tyre is more expensive though! :)
    Will you put them on again? When or if we drive by I'll do a PM a day or 2 upfront if you don't mind. It's always nice te meet fellow Mondial owners and to have a talk & drive.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Congratulations Tobbe. And having the wife onboard is certainly a bonus!

22. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Looks great Tobbe...enjoy!

23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like a nice car, any car with those miles on it has been reasonably serviced, and these cars are actually very well engineered.

On proactive maintenance, I would make sure all fuel lines are new, and perhaps the brake hoses too, these are non negotiable safety items.

The water pump can be viewed as a service item when doing belts and related bearings, as it is prone to seal leakage. A good mechanic can get the bearing and seal kit, rather than having to get a rebuilt unit, but either way its not that big a deal. The clutch master cylinder can also be prone to failure, so certainly replace as part of a clutch job. Caps, rotors and wires are expensive compared with normal cars, so are often not replaced as frequently as would be the case on regular cars. Put some Redline 75W90NS or MTL in the gearbox and it will shift as good as it is able.

Otherwise, just make sure the vehicle is looked over closely, lube all the catches and small bits, tighten up/torque various nuts and bolts and put some dexoit on all the fuse and various electrical connections. Get a new battery as a full charge along with deoxit can offset any older wiring resistance and such that gives rise to gremlins.

No reason this car can't be a daily driver with the same reliability as any other car.

24. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Thank you....No problems no more and i had a fantastic drive:)

25. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Andy,Dave thank you...Yeah the mondial is a really nice car.

Wade.....Carcrazy wife onboard is a BIG bonus:)