Buy

mondial qv emissions questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mikeg, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    I have an 85 mondial qv euro that recently failed a state emissions test. The HC part. I guess it means that there is unburned gas or something that relates to that issue.

I was surprised because it passed last year with and has had little mileage..
    I pulled the plugs and they smelled a little gassy....

any easy sugestions?

Mike

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If it is a Euro, the EPA/DOT paperwork should document either an emissions exemption or a previously approved/tested level. Not sure about your state requirements.

I believe the US qvs had dual cats that the euros did not have. That being said, you may can tweak (lean) the K-jetronic mixture enough, at least temporarily, to pass emissions using an exhaust sniffer. That would be the first thing I would try if the car does not have an exemption.

Good luck!
    rt

4. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Try and run the car till it is nice and hot before you take it in. Also, this is going to sound crazy, but I have seen it work. Change over to Synthetic oil. Plus a new set of plugs is a good Idea and maybe even a step hotter than you have now. Good luck.I am getting a QV this spring so would appreciate how you make out.
    David

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Does your Mondial have cats installed? If not you might have to install some. If so you can buy one cheaply for $250ish. Not sure where the euro exhaust would mate up to it. Im assuming there is a straight pipe where the cat might be?

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    David - OBTW
    Terrific cars!! Can't wait to see the double bubble restored!
    best
    Russ

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Euro exhaust system is quite different than the US. If you do decide to add the cats, a good custom muffler shop can work something out. Would suggest using a two cat system like the US qvs instead of single like the later 3.2s.
    Good luck

9. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Actually long story on those 2 cars, but I will include a picture of my "intact" cars.
    Thanks