Mondial QV Fuel Gauge | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Alexwgm, Jan 22, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexwgm

Alexwgm Rookie

Jan 22, 2023
    Sussex, uk
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi guys,

I have an issue with my fuel gauge, it shows empty at all times, I did have a look at the sender, and after realizing it’s directly behind the engine and needs the tank removing to get to, I thought I’d ask for help before going any further.

before I try to short to earth to test, is there a fuse at all for the gauge or are there common issues with the gauges? Or am I best to drop the tank and start with the sender?

thanks

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Try the short to earth test. The gauge should go full switch, past full. If that happens, it will need a sending unit. This is common. The unit rides above the fuel lever most of the time and I see the connections in the tank rust and break. They make universal replacements that can be sent up the same as what is in the car now and they work well.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I had the same issue in my 400i: the winding of the fuel sender had collapsed. A universal fuel sender with the same bolt pattern was easy and cheap to source.

There are some calibration units that can help if need be, so even if your new sender calibration is totally off, you can still achieve a reasonably good reading. Could also help, if your gauge is so-so.

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    By the way, I will try from now on to keep the tank sufficiently replenished, so as to keep the winding of the resistor immersed in gazoline.

Removing your tank is not going to be easy, but while you are there, just clean it as much as you can: after so many years there is probably a huge amount of crude an debris. No point in installing a new sender if some particles find their way to the wiper resistor.