Mondial Sunroof > Help! | FerrariChat

Mondial Sunroof > Help!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GTSRacer, Jan 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    OK, here's the deal. The mechanism, specifically a part called 'leverage' has broken on my Mondial T and after a couple of years looking for a replacement, I finally found one from Rutlands. It's a $100 part (if it were still available from Ferrari, which it's not), but Rutlands wants $550 - simply outrageous, IMHO.

In light of the additional labor involved in reassembling the sunroof, I may be looking at $3500 to $4K total; again simply not worth it for what amounts to a crappy sunroof mechanism at best.

What I'd like to know is if there are any outfits that will convert the OEM assembly to an aftermarket unit - with or without the original steel panel.
    Thanks for any info and input anyone might have on this.

2. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    #2 Ferrari_UK, Jan 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Olivier,

I don't think this helps much but Rutlands seems to be about the going rate, (If I'm talking about the same 'leverage'), #60976600.

We have them on the shelf and they are still available from the Factory. Our current retail is £268.

Sorry I can't help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Speaking of Mondials, do you have an a/c compressor for an 82 Mondial 8, and if so, price?
    Thanks
    Sam

4. GTSRacer

GTSRacer Rookie

Aug 12, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Full Name:
    Olivier F. Raoust
    Jeff, I sent a private email directly to your attention along with my email address for reply. Thanks for the help!

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Sam.
    Im pretty sure the A/C compressor is the common York brand. If so they are not too costly here.

Do a search on "York" and see.

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
  7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Sam.
    Again to be honest im not sure if your compressor is indeed a York.
    However the one on Ebay is not. Do you have the old compressor? If so are there markings of manufacture.
    Sure a new thread and your problem will be solved by more knowledgable types. Sorry for hijack here.

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Olivier,

Believe it or not, the replacement of the leverage mechanism is a simple DIY job. Search the archives for mondial sunroof and Terry (don't recall his last name) has detailed instructions on servicing these. Following his directions, the sunroof can be removed in about 15 minutes. I think the leverage mechanism is held on with 1 or 2 bolts and everything is easily accessible. You can probably do the whole job in an hour or two. I just did this to repair a broken roller and it was a very straight-forward procedure. Once the sunroof is installed with fresh grease, it will work reliably and the design is actually fairly robust. The parts are not that reasonable, but if you do the repair yourself the overall cost is modest. Even if you have the repair done, the labor should be very low -- any mechanic that has experience with this should be able to do the whole job in 30 minutes.

I take it that the problem is that the sunroof slides back and forth, but it doesn't park into final up position on closing. If this is the issue, then the leverage mechanism should fix it. If the sunroof doesn't slide back and forth, then it may be a broken roller and I have detailed instructions for fixing that.

9. Terry

Terry Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Cheshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Olivier,

I have sent you a PM with a copy to you email. I will include the roof removal procedure below in case anyone else is interested. The thread which this was included in appears missing from the old archives.

Mondial t sunroof removal procedure:

1. Locate the hard cable outer which comes out the back of the motor in the boot.
    2. Remove the cap and fitting from the end of the cable.
    3. Operate the roof open button to full open (even though the roof is not moving) and you will see the cable protrude around 20mm beyond the end of the rigid cable.
    4. Go back to the roof and now for the brave part. The roof should open if tapped in a rearward direction with the palm of your hand. The operating mechanism will be out of the way if you have run the roof full open.
    5. With the roof now open you need to remove the wind deflector and the two chrome tracks. The tracks are secured by two small cross head screws at the forward edge.
    6. With the tracks removed it is just a case of pulling the roof forward and out of the runners. The roof will come out completely and you can place on one side.
    You are now able to see inside the roof cavity to see what's happening with the mechanism. You can operate the mechanism with the switch and see what is moving and what isn't. I was lucky with my roof it had just seized up through lack of use. A good clean and lube did the job.

A little more info can be found in this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15102&highlight=mondial+sunroof