Montana registration | FerrariChat

Montana registration

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by finnerty, Jun 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Anyone have their cars registered in Montana (while being a resident in another state)?

I did some research about the approach of setting up an LLC (or using an existing one, managed by various Montana law firms), and registering through that. Seems like a good strategy for avoiding 'tax heavy' states ---- and, it is perfectly LEGAL.

Does anyone have any personal experience with doing this? Any advice or recommendations for the best way to do this?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Regular question - do a search on Montana Registration

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Thanks Jim --- my bad.... I forgot to do a search.

4. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    You can do it easily in South Dakota, too. A lot of RV people do it, they just use a mail forwarding service for their address and it works fine. In fact, they actually encourage it for the easy registration fees and the RV people avoid state income tax. Google it and see what you can come up with.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    California has been cracking down on this. Not sure where you live, but our registration fees are horrendous and the state is chronically broke, so if it looks like you're registering out of state but live here you may run into some issues.

6. CarloR

CarloR Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 13, 2006
    9219 Mira Este Court, San Diego CA 92126
    Full Name:
    Carlo Rubio
    Contact the Bennett Law firm, ask for Duncan. they can help you with registering in Montana and they do it legally and can setup LLC with no hassle.. yes I have also heard like Bullfighter pointed out there have been some new rules to CA Registering. www.bennettlawofficepc.com

mixedgas likes this.
  7. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Legal in Montana, but perhaps not legal in your home state (like CA).

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So you get pulled over with your Montana plates, show your home state driver's license, what happens next?

9. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    I seem to remember a 200 page saga involving 6 credit cards, a Lambo, and a MT registration a few years back...

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Same in Florida where I think the rule is that if the vehicle is physically in the state for more than 6 months it must be registered in Florida, with Fla. sales tax paid.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#11 SrfCity, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    They give you the third degree and try to trip you up and admit that you don't really live there.(Montana) They'll do stuff like look at your insurance card and see if it lists an alternative location. If they really can't prove otherwise you're fine. If they do think it's bogus you'll get a ticket and have to pay the fees later with penalties.

12. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    In CA anyway, note that it's perfectly legal to live here (CA), with CA license, and drive a vehicle registered to your business in Montana. As long as that vehicle is primarily used in Montana. There's no problem bringing it in temporarily, but you will want to document its Montana storage/use.

The reg on my Ferrari is cheap enough, and tax deductible anyway, to not go through the hassle. I find it hard to imagine that anyone that can afford the car can't afford the annual registration.

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And, if you are driving an exotic car with Montana plates, expect to be targeted by the CHP for extra attention. I.e., get used to pulling over and presenting your paperwork.

14. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    #14 mousecatcher, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    It's actually not where you live, it's where the vehicle is used. You can live across the border in NV but if the car is used primarily in CA you still have to register it in CA. Supposedly you can get exceptions if the state(s) where you use the vehicle have the same rules, ie both states want you to register there.

I've done non-resident out of state registrations before, because the foreign state is where the vehicle is used. Interestingly, NC recently stopped allowing non-resident registration even if the vehicle is used 100% in NC. Can't understand why they wouldn't want the money.

So really the OP needs to specify his home state if he wants to know if it's legal.

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #15 finnerty, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    It's not the registration fees --- it's the sales tax (when first acquiring the car) that provides the incentive.

For example if I were to purchase a $100K (used) car; with Montana reg I'd pay $0, but with reg in the state I reside I'd pay $5,000 (5% rate on all used cars).

Sure, if I can afford the 100K, I can easily afford the 5K tax --- but, that's not the point. If I wanted to give away 5K, I'd give it to a worthwhile charity...

16. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    #16 jeff, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    As you know this is perfectly legal and has been done numerous times. BUT, if you are thinking about buying a NEW Ferrari and registering it in Montana you might be surprised. FNA is aware of this tactic. Some buyers and dealers try to skirt the "100 mile dealer area" and say the customer lives in Montana. This allows the buyer to purchase a new Ferrari from any dealer in the US. It also allows a dealer to sell to any customer as long as the customer shows a Montana address. FNA started seeing a lot of new Ferraris registered in Montana. FNA sent letters to dealers and told the dealers to STOP registering cars in Montana.

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Both yeatsy and webwallah are actually in Thailand. Permaban for spam.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #18 TheMayor, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

All my cars are licensed in Montana, and always have been. Never had a problem.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, but don't you actually live in Montana?

21. ExoticFury

ExoticFury Rookie

Dec 7, 2015
    Ok registration in Montana is pretty easy but have looked at insurance? It seems to be more complicated to get the car covered in Montana if you don't live in Montana.

22. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    So you revived a 5 year old thread to make your first post?

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We have decided to move to Montana if you want to register exotics there....next question.......

24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Maybe he used the search function before posting? 1st post does not make a new forum member a internet newbie, cut the guy a break.

25. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    The bonus of registering in Montana is that every person who sees your car, including your kids, neighbors, friends, business associates and strangers consider you somewhere between a crook, tax dodger or someone with questionable ethics. At minimum they think of you as someone who doesn't mind flaunting a Ferrari while at the sametime showing that you are not paying the taxes 99.9% do because you used a creative loophole (that could be interpreted as illegal), to save some sales tax.