More DVLA Trouble | FerrariChat

More DVLA Trouble

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by asanyfuleno, Jun 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asanyfuleno

asanyfuleno Rookie

Nov 12, 2021
    Brackley, UK
    Full Name:
    Mike Edwards
    Late last year I arranged to import two Mondials from the US.

The first arrived without a hitch and was quickly road registered, etc. The second has been an absolute pain as HMRC and DVLA appear to be getting everything they possibly can wrong with the process.

First of all HMRC queried what I was going to use it for so rejected the initial import duty payment, despite it being a cut and paste from the form that successfully imported the previous one.

Now DVLA are saying that they can't register is as a classic car, i.e. over 40 years old so no tax or MOT requirements, as the registration states it is a 1982 model despite having been made in 1981. The first time they rejected it they said it needed to be built before beginning of 1981 as they had forgotten we were now in 2022. Now they are saying I cannot use the manufacturer's plate on the door showing the build as 1981 as they don't accept photographs and I need some evidence from Ferrari to confirm the build date.

Any idea how I can get hold of Ferrari to get something 'official' stating the car is over 40 years old? Thanks.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How about a simple contact to customer services through the myferrari site ?

Part of the issue is being clear what evidence DVLA will accept and from whom

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If you are in the owners club, they used to accept a letter from them?

4. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Is the registration early in 1982? I believe that if it was registered in the first couple of months they will accept that it is a 1981 build as it will have taken a while to get from the factory to the country of first registration. Or just suck up the MoT and Tax for a year and then change the V5 to Historic.

5. asanyfuleno

asanyfuleno Rookie

Nov 12, 2021
    Brackley, UK
    Full Name:
    Mike Edwards
    This is the response from Customer Services:

"With regards to your request, we inform you that the Ferrari Customer Care has no access to such specific information.

For all details related to Ferrari cars, products and documents, we suggest you get in contact with the official Network, the best reference point able to assist you jointly with the Office in charge in the Factory who will issue the document needed."

The issue stems that the US documentation just states 1982 as the first registration date rather than 1-1-82, etc. Somehow I got lucky with HMNRC and DVLA with the first car but have hit every jobsworth out there with the second one.