More GTO look, EFI, AMG supercharger, Supertrapps and Magnaflows. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

More GTO look, EFI, AMG supercharger, Supertrapps and Magnaflows.

Discussion in '308/328' started by bert308, Aug 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #51 bert308, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Made a template on the PC for the SC inlet. Also a pic of my boost gauge hehe. It is BIG. And big fun, why not. I want to print or make a new dial, orange on black background, but how does one generally remove the needle on these things, I pulled on it but it didn´t give.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Long needle nose plyers around the axle,
    ,, pry with them.

Might break, , I'll send you $ 3.00 if it does...

;)

good luck,
    Edwardo

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hallo Bert,

Looks like a classic case if shipwright's disease!

That's a big job you have taken on. Great.

Do yourself a favour and take a plank, drill 16 holes in it and put the valves in there. Numbered of course, so you don't mix them up.

While you're at it, why don't you turn the engine 90 degrees?

Groeten uit Zuid Afrika.

4. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #54 bert308, Aug 9, 2008
    It actually costed less than that but shipping another one is expensive.
    I had to google what that means, but you are right.
    Done!
    Someone else mentioned that too, but because of regulations and even more work I won't, plus I like to keep the trunk.

5. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #55 bert308, Aug 9, 2008
    Removed the bellhousing and clutch today. Bad news for the budget, the clutch shaft splines are worn for 50% and the gear wheel is not much better it could be rotated a lot on the shaft, they need to be replaced and are probably worth their weight in gold as new parts. For a while I thought my crank was gone, happy to find it is only a short shaft. Of course it had to be, how else can the clutch disengage. The ringnut on the shaft was loose though but was still retained by the dent in the locking collar, also the ringnut was re-used because the collar had more dents.
    Maybe someone here has these parts, shaft and gear? Otherwise I'll have to start the hunt here in the Netherlands at some places I know that might have used parts or maybe Forza in England.

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #56 bert308, Aug 9, 2008
    The clutch. Was good for many more miles, I have never worn out a clutch. I am interested in the kevlar clutch Norwood is offering on an exchange basis but have to enquire if I just can get a re-lined friction disc and have some cleanup machining done locally to the flywheel and pressure plate so these heavy items don't have to cross the ocean twice.

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Look for a competent clutch-place in Holland. The plate can be re-lined with the material of your choice, the pressure plate can be dismantled and re-shimmed to the specs you desire. This of course if the parts are otherwise in good condition.

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Btw, have to ask: why did you make the rear lid hinge behind the cabin, and not at the back like the original? With the affixed buttresses, access to your engine will be quite awkward like this.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Bert,
    You are a genius mad scientist! You and Mark should get together and do your own TV show!

Birdman

10. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Easy acces to the trunk for a case of beer and other shopping! Engine acces is not that bad, the opening lid moves to the rear and when open the underside is above the inlet plenum, so front and rear bank have reasonable acces either side of the open lid. The lid is actually to big to pass between the buttresses when hinged at the rear, the GTO has a smaller lid that leaves a fixed edge, to complicated to replicate.

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    We both have the need to tear up a perfectly good car.

12. Velocity Turbos

Aug 10, 2008
    NC
    Full Name:
    Steve (aka Speed)
    For some reason the words sawzall and Ferrari dont usually go hand in hand. I would love to have a shirt made for you with a picture of you with a sawzall cutting off the rear quarter with a clear view of the Emblem! lol You are a fine fabricator man it is very rare to find many people these days that have that ability.

I also must say that this is the first time I have ever seen anyone remote mount a roots supercharger! I guess that solves the Intercooling problem!

Great job man, I cant wait to have a picture of the finished car as my wallpaper for the next year!

13. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #63 bert308, Aug 11, 2008
    This my wallpaper, a photoshop.

14. Velocity Turbos

Aug 10, 2008
    NC
    Full Name:
    Steve (aka Speed)
    If you removed the orange behind it, it would look like a black and white photo done over with pastel. Looks like cool shop art to me!

15. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #65 bert308, Aug 11, 2008
    Intercoolers arrived today. Not polished like the pic on their website, but that's fine, even better. You can really see the handmade nature of these, so they are appropiate for my car. I looked at all 2000 intercoolers on ebay and printed some real size on pieces of paper and these were the only ones that would fit other than having a pair custom made. These are an upgrade for the Audi S4, the original S4 ones sell for <100 on ebay but they are always dirty and with plastic endcaps.
    A photoshop with the planned layout. Yes the inlet plenum will be rotated 180 degrees (is possible without mods) with a Y shaped inlet.

16. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #66 bert308, Aug 11, 2008
    Seperated the gearbox, made an engine stand but that wasn't a great succes. Pulled the pistons and liners. I thought I had a virgin engine but saw 2 marks were someone (tried to) knockout liners, I made a puller. I removed 1 crank baring cap and it looked perfect, I don't think I will remove the crank. The piston barings looked a little dark and worn, those I'll replace. Pistons and liners all looked OK with similar light wear marks. You could see the cross hatching in the liners but on the bottom off the liners were the pistons don't ride you see how it originally was after factory honing, the rest is more like polished. I will put some liners, pistons, a cilinder head, some valves and the main baring cap together and take it to the engine shop for advice what to do.

17. Velocity Turbos

Aug 10, 2008
    NC
    Full Name:
    Steve (aka Speed)
    Have you considered using the high friction reduction coating on the rod bearings, cams and piston skirts? I havent seen it used on any Ferrari's or Lamborghini's yet. I wonder what kind of gains it would provide?

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Bert, Bert, Bert.....you have to pull the crank man. It would be just silly to not replace the main bearings when you have it all torn down. Also you have to get all the junk wash out of the crank oil passages and you need it out to do that. You are adding boost which will stress the bottom end quite a bit more so you what it right....I'm sure the engine shop will tell you the same thing

Evrything is looking good! You've got a lot of stuff going on in the engine bay....ah what we'll go through in the quest for hp :)

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You know, pictures of Bert's garage remind me of those high end 1:18 model dioramas people put on their wall... Bert lives it 1:1

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #70 bert308, Aug 11, 2008
    I knew someone would say that...those bearings cost $400! I will take out the crank tomorrow and see. Time to cleanup the Marelli digiplex boxes and Bosch fuel distributer and see what they are worth...
    Wish it was my garage but it isn't dad still keeps his agricultural stuff and never ever throws anything away (I made parts from 1920 vintage stuff) and my brother has 2 cars in parts. Here is another pic, there are many more boxes with parts I hate how my car is spread all over the place. Good thing the intercoolers came in 5 boxes, a big one and then ever smaller ones like those russian puppets, I needed clean boxes to store engine parts. Will be a great relief if the engine is back together save in the car.

21. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Superformance UK sells the JE forged pistons with standard CR, but they are 82.00 mm, do they really expect you to have the liners bored up to 82.03 mm or so, that seems a lot. I sent them an email about it.

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    1mm over is very common, no worries. You could also custom order any size you like. Your liners will probably clean up at 0.25mm over....you'd get more rebuilds before needing new liners but might pay more for the custom pistons.

23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #73 mk e, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
    Don't cry to me about needing mega dollar parts to put your engine back together :)

Once a 308 engine comes apart it will be at least $4k in parts before it goes back together....which is quite a bit cheaper than a 400/TR hybrid :(

......although I don't need to buy a supercharger or intercoolers this time around :)

24. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I read about your recent machining bill, I read every update in your thread just I don't post as much there because I have nothing useful to add.

25. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #75 bert308, Aug 12, 2008
    Good thing I pulled the crank, some of the bearings were not as good as the one I first examined. I loaded the crank, a head, some liners, a piston and some example valves in the Lancia and will visit the engine shop after work tomorrow for opinion and estimate, if the guy has time to examine my stuff.