More proof 308s are going up | Page 3 | FerrariChat

More proof 308s are going up

Discussion in '308/328' started by MS250, Oct 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You are whining now.

308's will be worth 150K when they sell for 150K. That's how it works. It doesn't matter how much you spend restoring it, it is worth only what the market allows. And that market ain't allowing 150K

As far as your "secret trades" I'll believe it when I see it. Besides, why in the world would some idiot pay 150K for a 308 then keep it to himself? The only way he can get a descent ROI is to let the world know what's happening. That would drive the prices up. Otherwise he just spent 150K on a car that he can't sell for half that.

I'm beginning to thing you know better, you just like stirring the pot around here.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

You know why? Because it isn't happening anywhere except in some people's minds.

3. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    Correct they are the 390 metric wheels.
    The 308 gtb came with the 14 inch cromodora's
    Single exhaust.

Actually the price of fibreglass 308 has come down as 6 years ago they were around 58000 euros,for the past few years they have been 48000-52000 for sale,but effective value is for actual sale price.
    The normal 308 gts carb model is rising in price from 28000 euros 3 years ago,to close to 40000 euros now.It is predicted from several people in the Ferrari community that the 308 carb model will hit 50000 euros within a short time.
    The 328 s are starting to go over 40000 euros even saw one for 55000 euros selling last week but it was a very low mile (ks) car.
    308s are overtaking the 348 in prices.
    But thats the 308 carb and the 308 QV models compared to 348 1989 model to 1991 model.
    The best 348s are the last ones 1993 and 1994 which have the H motor and 20bhp more power.

Market is changing fast on Ferrari Classics and I see a good rise on the BB models, 308s and 328s.

I also see the 360 modena will be going for a lower price in the next few years.They are bound to hit the 60000 euros soon.
    The 348 at 40000 euros is stable with the last series as high as 48000 euros.
    The 355 is a very good stable priced car at 55000 euros.and the F1 spider version gets 65000 euros easy.

Hope this helps.These are prices in Italy !

4. Ferrari Rare Parts

BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    By the way my Euro Black 308 gts carb 1980 model with 45000 ks (30000 miles) is going for 35000 euros,and its got everything done to it.
    Full belt /tensioners belts and all filters change.
    Oil gaskets change (no leaks!)
    New complete clutch,
    New silent blocks,
    New brakes,
    New Distributor,rotor,sparkplug extenders,sparkplugs,
    new tyres,
    new tailights and new front lenses.
    Alternator and water pump has been revised.

The paint is very nice done 3 years ago,Interior has been cleaned and its original in Ivory with black stripes.
    The car drives extremely well with no issues, oil use is normal for a 308.I really love this car but it has to go.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Have you told this to the 11,000 355 owner, and 18,000 360 owners that spent 50-100K over list not long ago which the car is a fraction of this today ?

Im sure they would love to hear you call them an "idiot" for spending oddles of money. ROLMAO !!!

As for prices on 308s, there are 4 links showing that 308 glass prices are increasing. Last year a glass car was fetching 50-60KUS ballpark....you can see they are on the rise. Which was my point ofr starting this thread

As for Ferrari Rare Parts...your viewing of 6 yrs ago the 308 being more in Euros as opposed today, you are forgetting the Euro once introduced there was a market correction 6 yrs ago....and even though Euro pricing is alittle less the US GREEN BACK has taken such a hit compared to the Euro that Americans are actually paying alittle more than 6 yrs ago :D

6. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Ciao Orlando

I was looking at a yellow 308 fiberglass car in Italy several years ago and the asking price was 40,000 euro (if I recall) and it was in need of total restoration. I thought ferrari's were precious and well taken care of in Italy, but they are no different than the Italians in Toronto. I think that the real good cars rarely make it to the open market.

7. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I spent $60k buying mine and am gonna spend $70-80k restoring it and setting it up for historic racing. Thats $130-140k (Oz$). Am I gonna get that if I sell. At this I dont think so. If it was a house you would say I over capitalised. But who cares. I'm gonna have a really good car that is invaluable to me.

And as I will never sell it, when my son grows up and I kark it, it will be a good car for him to inherit. Onlly problem is I have to buy another one as I have another son due next month!!!!!

8. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Newman, not sure when/if you are going to sell your's, but if there is a seriously high priced 308, I would think yours would qualify. D*mn thing will be practically new out-of-the-factory when you get finished. I certainly wish I could afford it, but I'll stay with my daily driver QV for now.

James in Denver

9. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If the buyer intends to keep the 308 ROI is not that insignificant.
    If I bought a car that I had no intention on selling and thought other's would say "OH, you paid too much" I wouldn't tell them how much I paid. I don't care what they think. All that matters is that I am happy. If paying that much for a car that I want makes me happy, that's fine with me:)

10. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Okay, Dr. Tommy. I have to agree with you that 308s are NOT selling in the 100s - YET.

But there was a time in recent memory when the 206 and 246 Dino still weren't considered "real" Ferraris - and I could pick one up for $60k. Dinos are going for $180+ now.

Be patient. I don't think it's happened yet, but the 308 is iconic and classic. As these become rarer, and demand increases, I do think we'll see 308 prices climb into the triple digits.

In the meantime, my 308 isn't for sale at any price. :)

11. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Heck, I could of bought a Dino in 1982 for 19K it just needed a clutch, past on it, big mistake. 308 prices will keep climbing, I'm hanging on to my 77 GTB.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Doesn't matter if you are rich and don't care. BUT if the market price was that at the time, it was a fair price I suppose. Free market. No one has done that with a 308 though. Who knows what is down the road but right now, 40-50 absolute tops for a QV and that's one with the 150K restoration.

To me it is the exact same as those morans that pay $3000 for a new video game at it's Xmas release that is worth 15 cents at a garage sale in a year.

And I'll say that to their face

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

And that is EXACTLY where you are today with the 308's. $19,000 in 82 is $41,000 now - pretty much in line with a good 308 this very minute.

You may well be saying in 2022, "I could have bought a 308 in 2007 for $41K it just needed a clutch, past on it, big mistake."

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mine either

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd agree, that's the situation right now because you can find a great QV that doesn't need restoration (in the 'Newman' sense of the word), so the only reason to restore one would be for the fun/craftsmanship/pride of doing it. The rest of us would just go buy one for $50K.

10 years from now, though, I think (1) people will appreciate these cars as classics, because they still look superb among modern cars and (2) there won't be many great ones other than restorations ($$$) or stored-in-a-bubble cars. I've already noticed this a bit with interiors, as there weren't any original 308/328 interiors left that impressed me in my search. None. (So I had mine restored this year.) Ultimately we'll all notice that with paint/metal and mechanicals as well. There will be more of a chasm between the really good ones and the really available ones. Right now, you can get a '2+' QV without a massive search, so the few '1' cars are maybe less special today than they will be.

Again, I like my car because it's rare (in the real world), looks great and is a blast to drive. I don't expect to make a dime off it and made my peace with that whole idiotic Ferrari-investment thing a few years back. However I wouldn't want to go shopping for it all over again now.

16. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dude, you gotta calm down. Tommy has stated a fact, and no matter how you try you cant get around it. And the fact is there has not been a 308 listed anywhere for over $100K USD. Yet. So for today your beating a dead horse.

And you also cannot compare the 355 or 360 pricing to the 308. Newer cars, regardless of what they are or who made them always depreciate. If anyone is ignorant enough to buy a 360 or F430 thinking it wont, there are in for a sad surprise, those cars will drop for another 20 or 30 years.

The 308 is going to do something, its just no one will truly know what it will do until we see it. I personally think it will go through the roof at some point, level off, then fall back a ways before yoyoing.

But I know this. I cannot think of any other car today in which young boys know what it is. And I dont know if any other car ever existed that was out of production 20 years where young kids still recognised it with excitement. The '57 Chevy, the split window Corvette, nothing was ever that well known and that recognised that long after. The only other car I can think of is the Countach. The 308 is not only the signature Ferrari for all time, the fact its so highly recognised by such a wide age group just about guarantees its going to be highly desireable for a very long time.

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Boys playing football on my parents street all stand and salute as i go by.

Countach is gonna be a million dollar car someday IMO.

18. Ferrari Rare Parts

BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    The countach has gone very high in Italy and thats over 110000 euros, the dino is at 180000 euros.The 512BB seems to start going over 12000 euros ,365gt4bb is around 150000 euros and rising.
    I am scared (seriously scared) to sell my 308 as its a CARBURETOR MODEL I even won against 328,348 and testarossa on a track event! On a airport runway I draged all 308s 328s and 348s and was second to a 348 H motor car.Beat the hell out of more than 25 cars.
    THE CARB MODEL IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE QV.The 328 is the only one that goes faster ,but its like driving a more girl easy driver type of car like modern Ferrari.While the 308 is a real go cart and its always fun to drive.

19. Ferrari Rare Parts

BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    Making a dime off the car is not an investment, keeping it for another 15 years is also a cost! You'll definetly will paint it atleast twice (1 major and 1 detailing or door rust)
    5 times belts changed ,clutch changed twice if used,if not used worse! 308 has a very reliable engine it goes through what other engines will not.But an old car needs a good stroage place and a good maintainance during a 15 year period.With inflation and the rest of the costs, will it be an Investment?
    If it goes sky high like 100000 euros tomorrow I think their will be alot of people selling their 308s ,But their are so many out their in garages that I doubt this will happen. I consider the fibreglass as a good car to rise ,but it still going slow.
    What do you think?

20. Ferrari Rare Parts

BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    I also think if alot of 308s go toward the 60000 euro mark in a couple of years ,their will be alot of trade ins with modenas

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Thats not fair, you can put your own teeth back in for free! :) Me I gotta pay :(

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I passed on a Fiat Dino 2000 Spider in '88 for $3K, I feel your pain!!

24. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    There is going to come a time when all of us 308 owners are gonna get a call,on nearly the same day, from real legitimate players, offering to buy cars at "strong prices". 3 months later we will read that a new law allows Redcars a waiver for importation into CHINA. they will gobble up every thing they can get their hands on. Only the ones that Hold will hit $,and there will be nothing to buy after they cash in. 308s will be the first prey as they are cheap and the accumulation may have already begun.

25. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Uhhhh, Tommy, pay the man. LOL

Wow, thats quite a jump in asking prices, now lets see if the sucker sells.