More 'security' stupidity | FerrariChat

More 'security' stupidity

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kerrari, Jun 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    So I'm taking a flight this morning and as well as the usual wipe-down (yep, guess who got 'randomly' selected again) going through the metal detector I was asked if my bangle was removable. Yes, I said , so unclasp it and walk back through with it dangling round the safety chain. I ask what difference this makes and why a 24carat gold bangle would set off a metal detector. According to the operator, all metal counts, but if you break the continuity then it registers differently???? What the hell?

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Metal detectors work on altering the RF in a field. The gate you walk through is a big RF coil. Metal changes the EM field around the coil, and a loop of metal in phase with the field coil has a greater effect per unit weight. If the safety chain was still connected, it still should have made a loop. Holding the bangle at 90 degrees to the gate will negate the effect.

3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    And the terrorists don't know this? What a crock... The safety chain is very light, the bangle isn't.