Morgan 3 Wheeler | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Morgan 3 Wheeler

Discussion in 'British' started by Bullfighter, Feb 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    WOW! Awesome pictures! Love the one of the gloved hand driving through the snow. Now THAT is some manly motoring. That's what it's all about. Makes me really want a 3-wheeler.

2. tclark

tclark Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom Clark
    Hey Joe,

Dennis Frick is bringing his to the "Castaway Critters" show. Maybe you can drive it there.

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks! Can you PM me his contact info, i was planning on taking a trip to the dealer but it is 2 hours away so I have had some difficulty getting time to go.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm doing the same thing.

Does anyone know how many are in the USA?

Matt

5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've seen 2 in the DC area. There's a dealer a bit west of the city. Not sure about total numbers but if I were in the market there'd be one more here, complete with shark face... Any luck with the test drive JoeZ?

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Which dealer is that?

7. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    sounds like they've been a hit, 3 Wheeler is Morgan's best-seller, may spawn entire line - Autoblog

"As a glorious rolling anachronism in a line of other rolling anachronisms, we're not surprised that the Morgan 3 Wheeler has found a small but fervent following. But even Morgan execs probably didn't see this coming: the trike is outselling all of the brand's other models – and not by a little bit. According to Autocar, the 3 Wheeler itself will account for over 600 units this year, outshining the sales ledgers of the 4/4, Plus 4 and Roadster models, as well as the Plus 8 and modern-look Aero, the latter two accounting for only about 150 units a year. Importantly, not only is the 3 Wheeler selling in volumes that have "far exceeded" company expectations, it appears to be drawing in a younger crowd, exactly what a boutique automaker like Morgan needs if it hopes to thrive long-term.

With the 3 Wheeler's great success, it should come as no surprise to learn that the automaker is looking to leverage its appeal with new variations – some with new engines hung out front, others with different bodystyles. And in other matters of the heart, Autocar indicates that Morgan is presently debating whether to continue using its traditional steel chassis construction as well as the extruded aluminum framework found under the Plus 8 and Aero."

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

I sat in a Morgan three wheeler at the car show, it was way too uncomfortable for me. The seating position is very upright and my left leg banged against the chassis. It was basically too tight all around for the way I like to drive. Good news is that they are widening the car three inches and elongating it a bit too allegedly. The dealer told me that it has been in the works for some time and they should be expecting the new chassis before years end. I will make the trek down once they have a bigger cockpit, for now it is a no go.

However, no car made in the last few years has captured my imagination like this one. The more I think about it the more I love it, so I am looking forward to the modifications. One thing, however, that I struggle to get past is how much the damn thing costs. There is really absolutely nothing to it. Its roughly 50K US for what is for all intents and purposes a three wheeled motorcycle.

I am sure the relatively low volume production reflects the cost, but this awesome machine would be alot easier to swallow at 35K!

9. flupke73

flupke73 Rookie

Sep 7, 2006
    European Union
    check out talkmorgan.com ;-)

have mine now since more than a year
    and a drive in a scuderia16M made me understand why I love my 3whlr so much
    you can use its full potential on the road

I still love it, also: people look happy when you get by, not envious nor angry for the noiz you're making

also my most reliable UK-car up till now

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks!

11. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Scratch that.. Just doublechecked and they're a Morgan authorized spares and service shop only. Capitol Motorcars of Virginia.

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This one is in New Orleans near me, hope to see it at the next British car show...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRjy5QfmLY]Morgan 3 Wheeler Wows at 2013 Euro Fest Auto Show - YouTube[/ame]

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #63 4re Nut, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Must have!

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hey guys, any updates here from those that own / have driven them? I also can't stop thinking about the couple that I have seen.

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    No info from me other than I love the 3 Wheeler. I think the price is high for what you get, but I love the idea.

If it could be bought for $15-20k, I would have bought one a long time ago.

Mark

17. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Back in 2014 I test drove one and considered ordering a new one but felt the price was too high. It was a blast to drive. Maybe not so fast by the numbers, but it's tremendous fun to drive... more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Since then, they've come down in price 10-15% due to the better exchange rate for the dollar. So I ordered a Morgan 3 Wheeler this January but have yet to receive it. To keep the price reasonable, I was modest in the options I selected. It was scheduled to be built in the first week of May but has now been delayed until the end of May.
    I expect to have it delivered to me sometime in June, providing no additional delays.
    In anticipation I've been spending a lot of time on MorganTalk learning about others experiences with the 3 Wheeler. Just like FerrariChat, there's a tremendous amount of information out there. I'll post pictures when it's delivered.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you for posting, Mark!

Which dealer did you order your Mog from?

Matt

19. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Morgan Mid-Atlantic in Lewisberry, PA.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Awesome. Thank you!

Matt

21. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Congratulations Mark. I look forward to the pictures.

I have my eye half on used 3 Wheelers over here and they don't move very much at all. Your 10-15% sounds about right. My wife thinks it looks stupid, but my 6 year old daughter and 9 year old son both think it looks great :)

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm still looking at these suckers. I need to drive one.

I absolutely LOVE my MG TD, but this could nicely take its place. But so could a number of other older cars.

Do we have any ownership or other first-hand experience?

Matt

23. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I still haven't received mine yet. It was delayed about two months and should be on its way here. I hope to have it in another two or three weeks. I'll post pictures when I get it

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you, Mark.

When did you place your order?

Matt

25. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I ordered it January 19th. The only good news is that my cost came down a bit since the dollar strengthened against the pound.