Morton Arboretum Fall Foliage Drive Sunday 10/24 | FerrariChat

Morton Arboretum Fall Foliage Drive Sunday 10/24

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Oct 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    We are setting up a Fall Foliage drive through the beautiful trails of the Morton Arboretum Lisle, IL scheduled this coming Sunday October 24th as long as weather permits. The Arboretum is at it's peak as the trees change color for the changing seasons. See http://www.mortonarb.org/

Please join us with your Ferrari or other exotic. This drive is open for all to enjoy, so don't forget to invite your spouse or friend.

Here's the Details:
    Meeting Place: We will be having Sunday brunch at Mack's Golden Pheasant Restaurant 668 West North Ave Elmhurst, IL. For Directions see http://www.macksgoldenpheasant.com/ Or call 630-279-8544. The cost for the brunch is $9.95 + tax & tip per person. There will be plenty of parking for our cars.

Meeting Time: 10:30 - 11:00 AM Sunday morning At Mack's Restaurant

We will leave Mack's after brunch and head to the Morton Arboretum in Lisle. The cost for the drive through their grounds is $5.00 per person.

If you plan to attend please advise. Check this thread for updates later this week. See you there.
    Dave Bendl

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This is an official FOC Midwest event and will count towards our Gumball trophy.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Mack's Golden Pheasant is on the SouthWest Corner of IL.RT.83,and North Av.(IL.RT.64) in Elmhurst,IL. Great Food,Cozy Atmosphere....:)

And,please Post here if you,(and your Spouse or Friend) Plan on attending,so that we can Reserve the appropriate amount of Tables....Thank-You!

4. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I will see if I can make it and bring the girlfriend. I think I am tied with or up by one on Dave in the V12 category. The only thing the Marenello collects is gas bills so a trophy would be nice.

Nothing was as bad as the Maser though, small tank and I think it barely stretched to 14 miles a gallon on easy drives. But what a fun car...

I am 50/50.

RocketBoy

5. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I am sure my baby will still be in pieces.... :(

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point. Current FOC Midwest Gumball Trophy Standings:

12 Cylinders: Bendl and Rocketboy tied at 2 each
    8 Cylinders: Tod leading with 5 points over Chasking with 2

About five more events and points to go.

7. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

So, do i get extra points for how many times in the shop ??? HAH!

Hey Andreas, Nice article in the monthly FOC newsletter.... On our LSD drive... Cool!!

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks!

One of the advantages of being a FOC member is that you get Pilota on a monthly basis. We are trying hard to make sure that there is a report for each of our events with pictures showing who participated. That way the FOC members get a nice souvenir. Reports for the Hooters and Route 66 events are already at the printer.

I'm already looking forward to Pilota in color!

9. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Is anyone watching the Brazil GP, isn't it the same day? Here's Minardis chance! The cracked crystal ball predicts Zsolt wins, second is DC after he realizes he needs a job next year and in third comes Weber in a Jag ( they have to go out with a bang before they become Volvo or VW F1. )

Highlights will include Bernoldi driving out on the track in a Phoenix ( wasn't that the Prost/Arrows hybrid? ) and Silverstone/Athens fav Father Horan waving the final flag.

Who's in on a dollar bet with me?

Rubens who, didn't he get his gifted two wins already? Shuey has no need and JPM will be too busy looking out for himself from being abducted or writing an claim against MS to F1 for unfair play. Since Kimi is ice he would have melted and Richards is not letting Button out to play. Will hometown Jungle Boy come back and drive a four door Jag/BMW to glory?

Did I mentioned the ball was cracked?

RocketBoy

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Brawn, Montezuma, Napoleon and Michael will do ANYTHING they can to get Rubinho on the top of the podium. Even if it means that Michael drives in reverse, Napoleon plays the 1812 overture over Mc Laren's encrypted pit comm and Montezuma does honor to Montezuma's revenge (tourists to Mexico will understand).

Rubens will win. Even if he has to make a pitstop and take over Michael's car. He will win. It is Ferrari's way of saying: Be grateful, shut up and block traffic in 2005 behind Michael.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Agreed that Rubens will Win...:) Yes,I was going to sit in and watch the Race. But,I'd much rather drive. I'll just watch it when I get home,on Tape. Or on Speed at 8:00PM...like all the other ones...:)

12. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    So far we have Dave B (512BB), Andreas (308), Frank (308) and a Miata?

Weather pending, I will go. 575 has been acting up lately so I might have to rent a Yugo or Scion.

RocketBoy

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

Yeah,and why not a Daihatsu Charade? Are you biased? ....:)

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Or a Kia Rio.....:(

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If you are planning on meeting up at Mack's Golden Pheasant for Brunch on Sunday. We really need to know so that we can Reserve the Appropriate amount of Tables.

PLEASE Post here By Friday...Saturday Afternoon LATEST! Thats when I'm calling in the reservation. Thanks!

16. Looks like Saturday's drive will be ruined due to rain, so I will try to make it to the Sunday event. I won't be able to leave the house until 12-ish so maybe I should meet up with all of you in Lisle.

17. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I am going to talk to the wife and see if I can get her either to come along or to release me. If freed, I can bring either the 365 BB or the F355. I think it would be the 365 BB, as we have definitely entered cooler "Weber weather." I am not currently a member, but you guys sound like a great group of enthusiasts and it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Steve Biagini

18. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Two more for lunch, Frank: my wife and I are planning to come on Sunday. The Biturbo has developed some electrical gremlins; hopefully it will behave.

19. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I'm planning on coming sunday too - looks like first half of saturday is going to be rain :( but that gives me all day saturday to reassemble something..
    and nope I don't know what car I'll bring or if I'll come alone yet...
    Chuck, what kinda gremlins? be happy to take a looksy for ya
    Chelle

20. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I love the Scion as a brain teaser... it is a great vehicle for Chicago as it indirectly shows praise for the great artist of Chicago skyscrapers, Mies Van Der Roe, and the idea that less is more. I can't help but laugh when I see these cars as I think they look like some guy who knocked over a Maytag refridgerator box and put four go-kart wheels on it. I realize people have the need for a dependable and cheap car, but for style, this car is definitely in line with Van Der Roe's lack of definition. In this case it has no style which means tons of, something. When I see it drive by I ask whoever is riding with me, " Did you see that? " They respond, " I see nothing. " Classic... way to go Toyota and warp our minds. I am tempted to knock a fridge on its back and bolt some wheels on it to make my millions as well.

Does a cube even deserve to be tested in a wind tunnel?

RocketBoy

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Or one of those Goofy looking Square Honda's,(with the Unpainted Black Primered Plastic Fenders...:) ) I'd like to get one. Gut it. Take out the complete Drive Train,and drop in a Blown Small Block Chevy,with a RockCrusher 4 speed,and a Ford 9" rear End...Tubbed,of course,with some Big Giant Hoosier Racing Slicks...And,Zoomies!... Now THAT Would be funny...:)

When My Son and I were at the Drag Strip a couple Weeks ago. There were 2 Totally Built Cadillacs-Like late 70's-Early 80's Coupe Devilles-that took a few passes. Now THAT WAS Funny....:)

22. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I would greatly appreciate any insights you might have. The main symptom is, every once in a while, with no obvious triggering event, the temperature starts climbing. That doesn't sound electrical at first glance, but two circumstances are leading me to think that it is: first, usually after driving when I turn the car off the fans (thermostatically controlled electric, not directly driven off the engine) continue to run, but during these overheating episodes they don't. I heard somewhere that the aerodynamics of the Biturbo is such that air doesn't actually circulate well through the radiator, so in the absence of the fans it may well be that even in motion there is insufficient airflow through the radiator. Second, and this is a weird one, the horn doesn't usually work on the car, but, on several occasions after this overheating episode the horn has worked. ?!?!?!?!?

Also suggesting the electrical nature of the problem is the utter unpredictability of it. I have on occasion spent long periods of time in stop-and-go rush hour traffic with no problem, only to have the car overheat at speed on the expressway.

Lately I have been able to avoid actual overheating by liberal use of the heater. And, sometimes it runs just fine with no problems. So, I am optimistic that I will be able to get to and from Sunday's festivities without incident.

It is my intention to trace the circuits powering the fans and check all the grounds, connections, relays, etc. but my work space is over at my in-laws' house, and it is always a production to get over there to work on them, and I'm limited in the time and scope of work I can do there. (And invariably some tool or part I need is at home.) But, we are looking for a new house so hopefully that problem will be obviated soon.

(Sorry to go off-topic.)

Chuck

23. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Looks like great weather tomorrow !
    So far we have a head count of 13 - 14, a nice number.
    See you in the morning,
    Dave

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,the Weather looks great,(Today....) See you guys at Mack's. They Open at 10:00AM. My Wife and I will be there by then.

When you go there. The Restaraunt is on the SOUTH Side of North Av.(RT.64) And,just WEST of RT.83,(Next to a Shell Gas Station)

The Parking Lot has a little bit of an angled drop,not bad,but watch it. So pull in slowly. (Watch your Front Spoilers) I will be Backed in on the West side of the Lot...You should be able to see my car.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looks like you guys are in for a great drive. Have fun!

...and tape the race or watch it tonight in the rerun. It looks as if it is going to be a fabulous one with Rubens first, JPM 2nd, Massa 4th and Michael 18th. Lots of drama is my forecast.
    :)