355 - Motec or other standalone for F355? | FerrariChat

355 Motec or other standalone for F355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by FerrariIcona, Nov 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about a stand alone MOTEC for the F355. Seems to be a great way to side step Gremlins by installing a MOTEC

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    What gremlins does a Motec ECU fix vs the stock ECU?

Qavion likes this.
  3. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I believe that Toda Racing in Japan used MoTec systems on their highly modified engines. However, not sure what you think will be gained on a stock engine.

INTMD8, OCKlasse and FerrariIcona like this.
  4. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    Simplicity, reliability and I've read the Motec delivers a bump in power.

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ I think there may be gains with Motec on a 5.2 if you reconfigured the 5.2 induction to 2.7..

More so, gains to be had by going from 5.2 exhaust to 2.7 but more difficult/expensive.

Goes without saying that any 5.2 car subject to OBD2 plug in emission test isn't passing with Motec.

If that's not a problem, could be worthwhile if doing other mods.

In my opinion, if the car is otherwise stock/unmodified, probably not worth the cost/effort.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Reliability? In the past 7 years on the forum, I've only heard of two or three F355 Motronic ECUs failing.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Motec or standalone is great if you like to do tunes with the season :)

26street likes this.
  8. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    it's not about the motronic ECUs failing. It's about all the peripherals. Like a 355 top, you don't hear about the top frame failing much, or the pump motor itself. A stand alone system would offer simplicity as well as tunability and better performance.

9. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    But again, what engine sensors are you getting with Motec that replace unreliable stock sensors? I'm really not aware of any. This isn't the source of the 355's many areas of unreliability.

10. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Airflow meter/s, egt sensors, egt computers and O2 sensors could all be deleted with an aftermarket ecu. Would be a good idea to still run O2 sensors for closed loop but you can use readily available, relatively cheap ones. If I ever need to replace any of the above, I'll seriously consider going aftermarket ecu.

11. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    On 355's, MAF's rarely fail and o2 sensors are generic Bosch, about $100 each. The exhaust temp monitoring is finicky but unrelated to ECU (each thermocouple has its own computer and they do fail regularly). Again not seeing how the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm sure you could tune your car on a dyno and pick up a few hp, especially if the engine is modded.

12. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If you're looking for more reliability, something I did that's working great is to delete the cats, thermocouples, and thermocouple ECU's, and replace the latter with the Technistrada dummy load plugins. You get rid of several unreliable components and also a ton of engine bay heat which degrades everything back there.

OCKlasse likes this.
  13. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I think its a good idea, modern ECU's are lightyears ahead of the tech that was used on these cars back in the day.
    You could also fit some more modern injectors too, modern injectors are lightyears ahead of what was used back in the day too.

I wouldn't limit my choice to Motech, you could also use a Link ECU which is what a friend of mine is a agent for, he does a lot of conversions, and its not always about increasing power, its about drive-ability, economy and perhaps unleashing a few more horses along the way.

I am going to be doing this very thing on my 348....

14. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    There are two ways to make more power via ECU tuning on a NA engine: adjusting 1) AFR's and 2) ignition timing across the RPM range. That's all you have to work with. There's no big mystery here. I'm sure livemapping a 355 on a dyno would result in a tiny bit more power (I understand that Ferrari didn't leave much on the table), and maybe a tiny bit more via Motec's increased resolution. But we're talking a couple of ponies here for probably an almost $10K investment in ECU/custom wiring harness/dyno time. There's a reason people don't do it.

ChoonHound likes this.
  15. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Its not going to cost anything like that for my project with the Link ECU, but then I can do most of it myself, and my good friend is a tuner and has a rolling road dyno at his business....
    But certainly, if you were doing it on a retail basis with someone else doing then work, then yes it could get very expensive.

Targatime likes this.
  16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Please post pics, sounds like a great project.

17. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Absolutely!!

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    a) Ferrari did not leave much on the table WITHIN emission limits.

b) I suspect that Ferrari did leave useful increment of power in the upper RPM band that might be available with a non-emissions compliant engine tune.

c) Every time I had mine on the dyno it was running 13.2±.2 Fuel/Air ratio; and mine would sniggle under certain conditions (a sniggle is the precursor of pinging that one can hear.)

d) But different header diameters and lengths might release 10-20 more HP something that definitely would require a different tune in the ECU.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  19. e21jason

e21jason Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Howel racing in the uk do a plug and play kit basest on a syvecs ecu (Life Racing) to replace both ecu's and control all the fans and pumps.

20. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas

Are you suggesting a standalone ecu could control your top? Is that even possible? *

* yes, with enough time and money anything in this realm is possible.

21. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    No, I was making an analogy to the top ECU.

22. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Wouldn’t think a MoTec would be great bang for your buck with a stock car. Gains would be minimal and the cost plus effort involved would be a negative. What would a proper installed and tune MoTec system cost you? $10k? $15K? Maybe if you were going down the big mod path (turbo, bigger displacement, cams, etc.) it would make sense to start with a stand alone. But on a stock car? Nope. My best friend is a certified MoTec tuner and I have two systems myself - one an M4 in my highly modified Porsche 968 Turbo and the other was an M48 planned for a built race car. I also have a plug and play AEM V2 system in my supercharged NSX and have used Haltech systems in my past RX7s. So I am obviously not a “leave everything stock” guy. It’s just in this case the gains would not be worth the effort.

FerrariIcona and ChoonHound like this.
  23. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    Having owned a number of 968s I always wanted a 968 Turbo. Are you using the 944 cylinder heads or 968? My real goal was just to ensure reliability by only having sensors where I need them rather than where Ferrari, due to the EPA, determined to put them. CEL lights, limp mode, gremlins, etc., would be eradicated with a far more streamlined system that a standalone system can offer.

24. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    A little off topic but my 968 is one of the better known ones out there. It's the speed yellow widebody car from Excellence magazine back in 1999 that was built by Kelly Moss Racing. I believe they hired Jon Milledge (JME) to build the engine with the 16 valve heads. If you want a 968 turbo I have entertained selling mine since I just don't drive it any more as I have a 911 Turbo now that fits the bill. PM me if interested.