motonic 5.2 | FerrariChat

motonic 5.2

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pwongd, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    I've been trying to locate such info on the chat but came up nil. Can anyone tell me which year did the F355 change from motonic 2.7 to 5.2, what kind of a difference the change made to the car?
    Thanks.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    As far as I can tell it was in early to mid 1997 that the change happened, however the easiest way to tell is by chassis number - the 5.2 cars had a number ZFFXR ................... and the 2.7 cars had a number ZFFPR ........................

MW

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    For US road cars, it's 1996. Challenge remained 2.7, and therefore race only.

As for differences, Motronic 5.2 complies with the more stringent OBDII standards. Do a search for OBDII for more infomation and/or purchace the Bosch Handbook from www.sae.org. SAE site searches will also yield OBD information.

As for visual indicators, one "hot film" MAF sensor instead of two "hot wire" MAF sensors in the induction of the F355.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    Thank you both. I quess there's no difference in performance then. I've heard before that the 5.2 cars have a little better throttle respond than the 2.7, and are quicker off the line. Please let me know if this is true.
    Thanks

5. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I presume that if the 5.2 had to meet more stringent standards, then the 2.7 would have better performance?? I recently bought my 1995 F355
    built in Nov., 1994 with Vin beginning with ZFFPS

6. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    > 6/1996 = 5.2
    < 6/1996 = 2.7

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Absolutely correct. another addition for the 5.2 was the introduction of knock sensors which the 2.7 does not have.

Best regards, Jim