Motor Finally Running In | FerrariChat

Motor Finally Running In

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2dinos, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    How many miles until you notice the motor breaking in?

I did the full resto back in '96 (And basically ongoing to this day hunting and pecking at little odds and ends in strive of elusive perfection.) I now have a whopping 3,7XXkm on it, and I now noticed, it really wants to rev, and pulls so much harder now. About time. I figure it still will get even better. I notice even compression when it starts. I love that. When I did the rebuild, I relied pretty heavily on Superformance and many specialty coating companies. Anti-friction & thermal barrier on piston skirts & crowns, DOW 9 & 17 on Mg parts, Jet Hot on headers. Yup, I did what I thought best back when I did it, and if I were to do it over, hopefully a good friend would set up an intervention and stop me. Seriously ~ ~ ~ no complaints on how it turned out.

Time for another drive!

synchro likes this.
  2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Congratulations on a great milestone!

I'm with you for skirts and big end brgs

Used Elliot Precision Coatings in North Carolina.
    https://www.hmelliottcoatings.com/
    They assured me my car would be able to turn both Right and Left afterwards
    (NASCAR joke, yeah it is that Elliot family)
    Also they used a photo of my pistons for their website splash

BTW, have you noticed that Ferrari has started coating pistons on new cars

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks!! I did notice that. That coating is great 'cause it's pretty slippery on its own and holds oil well. I forgot who I used for the lubricious and thermal barrier coating? It was abut 20+ years ago. I recall how nice everything looked as it went together. The motor just keeps on making more power and I'm good with that. I gotta drive it wayy more.

synchro likes this.