Murcie sound in a 550 Maranello? | FerrariChat

Murcie sound in a 550 Maranello?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by F456M, Mar 10, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #1 F456M, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Hi friends!

After owning my 550 Maranello for ten years and having a buddy who is a Lambo guy with many Lamborghinis, I am a bit curious about the difference in sound.

To me, a Murciélago with a proper exhaust is probably the best sounding car in the world. It is a 6,2 liter V12 with 48 valves, four exhaust headers going from 3 to 1 pipe where the front 3 primary pipes on each bank has a longer way to go to the end collector than the two rear ones. This is similar to my 550, except the 550 has a 5,5 liter engine capacity so slightly smaller displacement. Lambo is rear engined, Ferrari is front engined.

On my 550 I have Hyperflow sport catalyzers, OEM center resonator (starting with a cross pipe and some "see straight through" perforated pipes inside). So not a lot of restriction. At the end, I have FUCHS rear "see straight through" mufflers with quad tips and valves.

The Murcielago sounds MUCH better. Can anyone explain why? Is there a different firing order, or does that little to the sound? Of course the system is much shorter than on a front engines car.

The last 6-7 years, a gentleman in Italy has made a fantastic exhaust with a 599GTO/F12/FF/812 style design for the headers where 6 pipes goes into one big collector on each side rader than the original 4x 3-1 arrangement. This helps for performance and the sound is more close to the newer mentioned Ferrsri models. However, I still feel that the Murcie has so much more rich and "musical" sound picture... Can someone tell me why?

Apprechiate expert info ALOT. I will keep my 550. Love it too much to sell it. A Murcie is too expencive for me to add now. But hopefully in the future...

Erik
    Oslo

2. It is a different firing order, however I think some of the sound difference could be just the shortness of the exhaust.

F456M likes this.
  3. It is a different firing order, however I think some of the sound difference could be just the shortness of the exhaust.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What's the Lamborghini sound. This is just a stock 550 with exhaust near me in LA.

5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Sound completely different - think of a small displacement motor vs. large.
    My 575M with 550 exhaust manifolds & full 2.5" Ti exhaust had a higher pitch (more of a shriek) than my LP640 with full 2.5" Ti exhaust.

F456M likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Man, these guys are really destroying the car. They can do what they want. It is not my car. But my personal opinion is that these guys are just retards.

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I
    t is a bit interesting. There must be some technical way to describe why the sound is different. The difference in displacement is only 20 %. That does not do much for the sound. It is the exhaust that makes the difference. If you have seen the Mercedes 600 SEL in Japan where they get a F1 sound with super high pitch, you probably agree with me :)

8. Take this Countach example with Kreissieg exhaust. I have never heard Countach sound like this one, although I have not been around another with this exhaust.

I'll give another example, my Pantera. Even with the stock exhaust, it sounds nothing like a Mustang with the same engine & specs. The difference being just the shortness of the exhaust & muffler design.

F456M likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Engine design plays a role also, and this is an area where Ferrari and Lamborghini differ, with a big win for Lamborghini. I never fell in love with the Ferrari V-12 sound. Conversely, I had family ride in the Diablo roadster yesterday and the sound it makes with the top off is amazing in pitch and timbre.

white out and F456M like this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree. My buddy has a Diablo Roadster too. The sound is worth all the money in the world.... It is just music. I really love my 550, and I don't want it to be as vulgar as a Diablo or Murciélago, but that kind of sound is just to die for. If I could get that in a "less loud" version, I would be very very happy. People are spending huge money on aftermarket exhaust these days, but experiences is that the price is not at all corresponding to sound quality. It is the design/configuration, diemeters and setup that makes the sound. In my first Ferrari, 456M, I tried all kinds of combinations. The BEST alternative was just to add a Stebro X-pipe and no mufflers at all. It was parts I could have got a local exhaust shop to do for like 1000 dollars. Before that, I spent 10.000 dollars on trail & error.... Sometimes life is a bit unfair. But it was a lesson learned. :) I still wonder who can explain the sound difference in a technical way.
    Erik

white out likes this.
  11. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Fascinating question indeed, and there are many variables that come into play. This youtube-clip does a great job of explaining a few

12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The only thing the two have in common is number of cylinders & valves.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What would you point out as the differences? :)