Mustang Owners | FerrariChat

Mustang Owners

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by The Mad Hatter, Sep 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    So there I am on Route 50 in the People's Republic of Maryland heading towards Annapolis when, for the 1,000th time, a Mustang owner pulls up alongside me and starts gunning his car indicating he wants to race. Now, not that I am keeping track or anything, but it seems that EVERY Mustang I encounter wants to race or blow by me (while I am behind someone and can't go any faster anyway) for whatever reason (and I can imagine a few). I am curious if anyone else encounters this behavior from Mustang owners out there on the roads??? Curious on your experiences...

Cheers,
    Travis

2. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary

You shouldn't race them (off the line), unless you know your going to win. Remember, the Cobra (and its fast) has nothing to lose. If he wins, hey, he beat a Ferrari, if he losses, so what, he lost to a more expensive car. You have more to loose then him. I don't race Cobras, WRX's or even Camaro SS. They will win. Just smile and ask his girl which car she would rather be in. You win!!

3. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    It is amazing. They must send these guys to a school when they buy a "stang". They are obnoxious and cocky, all of them. They do it to me in my Viper, Lambo, whatever. Has to be an inferiority complex, because it is rampant, and its really pizzes me off, because they usually do it when they are passing you in the opposite direction, or as you said, in a ton of traffic.

4. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    LOL...yeah, I never race, I am just curious why every Mustang I come across has this urge to race or rev up their engine or blow by you...I mean, my car is 14 years old so I am not sure why they would bother. I like the "girl" angle...I will use that next time!!! LOL...

Cheers,
    Travis

5. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Here is a group shot of some "Stang" guys.

6. The Mad Hatter

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    ...I think I actually just had Pepsi shoot from my nose!!!! Too good man!!!

Cheers,
    Travis

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i have noticed it also, even in my vette, the mustang guys must have a inferiority complex...i dont care how many hp you put it one, they are still poorly put together cars with poor chassis construction and inferior components..i would never lower myself to race with one....

8. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Guys,
    In 1983, I was 20 yrs old. I bought (should I say my father, ) an new Mustang GT. In its day it was fast. At 20 yrs old I was the King. At that time in 1983 my GT (for $7,200) was faster then Ferrari 308, the 911 and the Corvette. I always tried to race everyone. Remember, I was 20. Most Mustang owners are in that age group. At that age, if you got a decent car, you think that your the King. No responsibilities. No one to answer to. 20 yrs later,four kids later, and many, many cars, attitudes change a little. We still think we're the Kings only we have nothing to prove anymore.(I think!)

9. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    ok....so, I was one of them as well....but, I knew the cars limits and do not like racing on public streets, so rarely did it.....
    Owned a 84 GT after a tree fell on my Honda
    Then a 93 Cobra, which was and is an aswsome car for its time
    Then a 99 Cobra. I owned the 93 and 99 for a year together before I decided to sell the 93 to a kid whole rolled it less then 4 months later!!

Being that I have worked around F Cars since I was 19, the Mustang was trasportaion more or less.......

Now, an Audi S4 :)

10. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
  11. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Had a 99 Mustang Cobra on the track a few years ago. Some flaws, but for the money, a great engine. Your 84 was injected, my 83 was the last year on the Carb models.

12. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
  13. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Mad Hatter: I know the feeling. Here at the other end of Hwy 50 in the Peoples Republic of California, I get a lot of the same stuff. The Mustang drivers usually are these dumbass rich kids who don't know anything about real high performance unless it's drag racing, and think that horsepower can overcome their lack of driving skill. We have actually had a few multi-death accidents lately involving teenagers in fast cars; I only feel bad for the innocents who get hurt since I myself had one of the fastest cars in town when I was growing up but was disciplined enough to respect my car's potential for disaster.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    This reminds me of a story that happened to me this weekend....

It isn't the same thing but you might see the humor (and the point) -

I was driving over to FOW and I'm in my Cherokee (not Fcar). I'm about 200' from an intersection the light turns red. I was in the middle lane and the car to my left speeds up and cuts in front of me to get the first position at the light. I move to the right lane so I will also be first position. I guess he took this as some sort of challenge (to his Ricer - I have no idea what kind of car it was) because when the light turned I accelerated as normal but the Cherokee is quick for the first 20' or so..... So he races past me and I'm thinking there is no way I'm getting sucked into this. Well, no sooner did I think this then a plain car with a fair amount of equipment on the dash passes me, but not much faster. I can see what's going to happen......... he lets the guy make a couple of maneuvers and speed a bit more to hook him good ............ then the lights go on and he gets pulled over. Truth is, I hadn't seen the cop and I could have easily been sucked into a little "jockeying" for position. I've let a lot of these opportunities pass.....most in the 355..... and I'm happier just cruzin then racing, ticket issues aside.

So, to answer your question. I have seen an increase in guys that want to race but, it's not usually Mustang owners.

15. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    We're not all idiots, well - not all of the time. (97 Cobra)

Also applies to Civics and lots of other cheap/fast cars.

16. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    My 84 was carbed. Had the carb rebuilt right before I sold it and then ended up catching fire....note to all, never buy a car from me.

My 99 blew the motor twice. Oil starvation on the crank....6 qts was not enough oil for that motor.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I had a guy in a 5.0 Mustang drop the clutch at a stop sign and go through the gears across an intersection while I was STANDING 20 FEET FROM MY CAR in a parking lot on the corner.

I know he did it for my benefit because he staring at me.

So what exactly was the point?

18. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow, maybe it's regional. Here in St. Louis I have had every ******* Beemer M(you fill in the number) driver ride my a$$, cut me off, want to race, flip me off, yell idiotic things, etc., etc. - to me while driving my 308. All encounters were unprovoked. Every Mustang owner I have ever come across has been cool - even the teenybops. Has the ghost of Montoya invaded the psyche of these BMW idiots? Not ONE has been cool. Many are kids, but the majority are old enough to know better. I don't know, is it low self esteem? Maybe a little light on the personal equipment - if you know what I mean? As I mentioned in another post, for me, M is beginning to stand for a rude act involving their mother.

Jim

19. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Besides the one on his head? I'd say he thought he'd better cut a good light or else you would still beat him!!!
    Jim

20. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    It is hard to post on this subject without offending someone!

A Ferrari (in the world of autos) symbolizer a progression past normalcy and a better, crisper understanding of what a performance car should be. You could argue very easily that it is a "matured" sports car.

On the other end of the stick, a Mustang technically does not even qualify as a sports car (technically referred to by Ford as a "Pony Car"). Based on performance and cost, it represents a much lesser understanding of what a performance car should be, and is (in most cases) a reflection of the owner/driver's lack of the same understanding.

Knowing this, do you blame the guy in the Mustang, who does not know any better, for doing what he does? He clearly does not understand other parameters of performance.

I do not mean to offend those who do drive Mustangs. I'm aware it may sound stereotypical to say what I have, but that's not my intent. If you're on this message board participating in this conversation, odds are that regardless of what you drive, you're aware of the "issue" being discussed. I'm merely trying to point out the mentality of your average Mustang enthusiast vs. the mentality of your average Ferrari enthusiast.

21. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

I don't race them either because it's no competition. I don't even need to break the speed limit to be far enough ahead that they know they lost. If I'm in the Viper it's on anywhere. While driving the 355 try to lure them onto the hwy and get them with a 3rd gear roll-on. If you pull up next to the WRX try to turn your car around and face the opposite direction. It's only a fair race if you're going in reverse. Camaro SS is in about the same boat. The Cobra, now that's a different story. Raced a moded 2003 at the track and could not shake him til 3rd gear.

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I worked at a Ford dealership many wears ago working in new cars. (1998) The only thing I learned was Mustang buyers are a breed of their own, young kids wanting a muscle car. The line never grew on me, I didn’t like the way they were built but I sold them anyway. I took sometimes took them in on trades & picked up some at the auto auction that were about a year old that didn't hold up very well. However, I'm looking forward to the new MUSTANG GT that comes out in 6 weeks. I've got to admit, I like the looks of it. The car will sell like crazy but will be a rattle trap within a year. It will interesting to watch what they first start to sell for to say the least.

23. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I agree. Cobra is fast. When the roles are reversed, and I'm not in my F-car, and I'm in my Jaguar (XJR), I tend to think about it at a light. Doing a 5.2 sec to 60 with an automatic, sometimes I win because the kid in the other car doesn't shift good. Its happens. I don't do it twice. He may shift better the 2nd time! I'm a sore looser! But to these kids I look like an old man (40), and they think I'm just driving a normal Jaguar. They don't know its supercharged with 370 HP. Some, not all kids don't know the stats on the Jag. So when I win (if I choose to race), its funny to see their faces at the next light. Especially after they dumped all their college savings into a civic and think that they have the fastest car. One thing is, I'm glad to see that kids are into cars again. What they do to the Civics is no different then what my generation did to Camaros, Novas, Trans-ams, GTO's etc. They just have to behave, or their dreams of owning a Ferrari or living to 30 won't happen! Cheap cars are really fast and dangerous. Speed kills!

24. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    That is either the most appallingly grandiose hyperbole, or you're an idiot. I'm guessing the latter.

25. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Too bad a few badass wannabe's have to create an image for the rest; didn't I see those guys in the picture in the front row of a recent WWF show while I was flipping channels??? Find a dictionary and look up "class" and "finesse" for starters...Grandpa always said you can't buy class...although this proves that anyone can buy a "bigger hammer"--using it (or any tool/car) skillfully requires "finesse" and good judgment. I have experienced the same thing way too often--it seems like some people just totally lose it when they see a Ferrari and act like they have to prove something-but what???