My 1972 TC | FerrariChat

My 1972 TC

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Ken, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My 1972 Lotus Europa TC

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Pretty! Light and Right!

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Wow, Ken...you've done a fabulous job maintaining your Lotus and keeping it in mint condition! I bet it's a lot of fun to drive too.

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Thanks! I've put a lot into it, and there's still more to go. But as Europas go, it's one of the best in existance. It's SUCH a blast to drive! It will out handle anything, although it's slow by modern standards. And top speed is only in the mid 120's. But, it draws crowds like any exotic and I really love it.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Very nice! One of my favorite cars!
    I'm sure it must have incredible balance and response!
    Would love to see interior and engine shots sometime.
    way cool
    rt

6. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Is that one of those things with the Renault transmission ?

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    No; mine is a Twincam. The S1 and S2 have the Renault engine and a slightly different body style. Mine has a Ford block and Lotus aluminum twin overhead cam head. 1.6L and develops about 130 HP in the tune I have it in. Redline is 6800 RPM but balanced you can go a little over 7. I'll post some pictures when I can.

Although the HP is low, the car only weighs about 1500 pounds and with the backbone frame and mid engine, has a lower c.g. than pretty much any street car ever made. It's 42" tall, and there is no weight in the outer edges at all. In fact we joke it's the only car where the passengers protect the frame in a crash! Very few cars can keep with me in 70 MPH turns although in straight line acceleration a Lexus will smoke me easy. Europs are still sucessfully races in autocross today and frequently beat new Vettes in them.

It's a simple car to work on which is good for me as I didn't grow up working on cars. Junk Europas are easy to find but not worth the money. Top condition cars are rarely for sale, so if one wants one, you go to EBay and spend about $10k for a decent car and drop another $10k to make it perfect, and you have what I think is the best value ever in an exotic.

8. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Ken - Your car is a beauty. I agree that as long as you are proactive, the Europa Twin Cam & Specials are screaming deals.

I don't know if Ferrari_UK meant it, but he asked if the "transmission" is Renault. All of the Europas (including the TC) have a Renault transmission, with the exception of type 62 (Group 6 prototype).

Anyway you have a great car.

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Yes, I read bad! I have the Renault 352 which is the upgraded, rear shift 4 speed transmission. It is good up to about 150 HP which is a big improvement over the earlier 336 side shift the early TC's and S2's had. The TCS cars mostly have the 5 speed version.

10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Great looking Lotus Ken! Thanks again for answering some of my questions about the car!