My 206S Prototype has returned to active service, better than ever! | FerrariChat

My 206S Prototype has returned to active service, better than ever!

Discussion in '206/246' started by DrDweeb, Feb 21, 2024.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    OK gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure, I give you my newly restored 206S Prototype copy, built by Sam Johnson in Australia back in the 90s.

I am the 3. owner incl. the builder himself. I acquired the car in 2013 or 2014 I think and have driven it at every opportunity and enjoyed every second. However, the engine was pretty much rubbish when I got it, and eventually the whole shooting match needed some serious work. Luckily, my bank balance looked good so the car spent 10 months at Corse Automotive, and it has returned to life, better than it ever was!

I have attached a video link above of the builder talking about the car (start at 45 minutes for the 206S section) and as you'll see, this is a very perfect body/chassis copy, painstakingly measured and recreated by Sam, a master craftsman (watch all the video to understand). The old 206S pictures in the video show the hand measurement techniques from the 1990s and Sam tells of the discrepancies in the body that he fixed. The body is basically perfect and the frame is actually perfect, though I have had to remove the original pedal box now and modify the seat and frame to accommodate a different modern pedal box for my height. The whole video is excellent, but from 45 minutes is the interesting part here.

The old engine was a 2L alloy modified (rather badly) for 2.4L pistons with odd dimensioned heads and poorly worked. It was never really very good, but usable. The new engine is a 2L all alloy unit constructed from parts of the original engine and the used 2L engine formerly in the Dulon L10B Dino engined car. We were able to construct a full engine with all the necessary bits. The heads (one from each engine) were done correctly and 117 small things were also fixed in the engine. It was a nightmare actually, but someone else's :D The Dulon engine had been built by a bit of a cowboy originally, so it was quite a lot of work to adjust. It does have an Arrow crank and better cams and pistons, so all is not lost. We haven't dyno-tuned the engine yet, but a quick 147 bhp @ 7500 rpm at the wheels was shown during some testing.

I am reasonably happy with the engine now, though some fine tuning to smooth the curves will be needed.

We changed the pedal box in the car, and modified the seat angles to accommodate my height. This was a safety and scrutineering issue, even for simple speed events. It wasn't really possible to use the original pedal set, so there's a modern Tilton (?) floor unit now.

The suspension has also been extensively re-worked by an industry expert in the matter. Sam explained driving the car in the video as "twitchy", and he's correct - the car would misbehave badly under certain stress conditions - hopefully this will have been corrected. The suspension also rubbed holes in the walls of tyres when the driver was pushing on, this issue has also been corrected - thankfully!

So, that's the short story.

The car had a couple of installation sessions at SMP last November, and issues observed have now been corrected. I'll be running it in regularity at Phillip Island in March and will also be participating in the historic car demonstration (with speed) at the Australian Grand Prix later in March. I think the last time I drove on Albert Park was in my F5000 back in around 2010. The track's changed a bit, but it'll be fun to put the boot in there.

I'll add pictures to the comments as I dig them up :D

dgt and nis1973 like this.
  2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Stunning!!!! Drivable art. I'm finishing up my 8 year project on mine, and hopefully I'm in the home stretch!!

Rory J, UroTrash and DrDweeb like this.
  3. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    A video of the car after first engine startup.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  4. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    It's a gem for sure ... I am researching, but my tag says 32R so I believe my car was copied from original #32. I have yet to verify this

5. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
  6. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    This is the original dyno of the Dulon engine before it was removed from that car. It's different/better now - or we expect that it is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot likes this.
  7. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    From my builder. An example of the sort of things you find built by other people. I've never seen an engine that didn't need money spent on it to fix the cockups from previous engine builders. This is a perfect example of the issues one needs to address.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SgOPjkFqQTQ

8. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    https://sealed.sothebys.com/PB23

#32 is confirmed here, where Robs Lamplough is named as the former owner, reiterating the name mentioned by Sam in the 2014 video in the OP.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Wow, this is pretty amazing

10. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    #11 DrDweeb, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    This is a rare video from in the car on a beautiful evening at Sydney Motor Sports park. This was my last run with the car before we parked it.

... and yes, we fixed the mirror and the poor gearbox linkages.

Ferraripilot and mcimino like this.
  11. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    ... and I have the bills to prove it. :(

I may sell the 206S if a correct and substantial offer is forthcoming, but for this year I expect 1 or 2 more runs after March later in the year

12. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    I forgot I had this later one as well ... but no GPS data, sadly.

mcimino likes this.
  13. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Finally, we have the 206S on Phillip Island in the hands of Pro driver Kyle Tilley. Sadly, the tyre folks couldn't produce tyres, and the car is a pig to drive with what are essentially "wooden" tyres. I was disabled at the time, so Kyle stepped in, as one does in these situations.

MarkT and dgt like this.
  14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    do you have any other pictures of the inside?

15. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    mcimino, itsat34 and of2worlds like this.
  16. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Hmmm ... this post has a shockingly low view count.

I'd have thought fellow Dino nutters would be interested in good photos, videos etc. of what is certainly one of the very best ever produced 206S copies.

Oh well, such is life - and mine is fine ;)

mcimino likes this.
  17. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I can only look at it so many times in a day! :)

DrDweeb likes this.
  18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I was super curious to see how it was finished out. Interested to see more details of the shifter and the dash layout, like I said mainly out of curiousity. Super cool Dino

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks for sharing, indeed it is a very good replica.

It takes a great deal of time, money and shear dedication to reproduce (and maaintain) these beauties but alas some look on them as the anti christ.

Well done

tony

20. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    The good news, is that I own several replicas as well as originals of various makes. I actually do not give a tinker's what anoraks think of replicas like the ones I own. It is I who sit in them and drive them, and in the end this is all that counts.

21. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    I just reviewed all my pics, and I have no more of the interior. Sorry about that.

22. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great stuff, and congrats on getting it all sorted looks like a fun car.
    This takes me back, I raced historic touring cars at Philip island in the 90's and I loved the track and commitment you needed pulling on and off the start/finish straight which I see in the vid!

swift53 likes this.
  23. garciamarquez1969

Aug 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Will
    With all the effort and attention to detail that went into this build, it's surprising they didn't manage to get the steering wheel on the correct side. But oversights happen even in the best of circumstances... :)

Jk. Awesome machine.

24. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    I have no idea of the total body of 206Ss, but #32 from which mine was copied, is RHD as can be seen in the Sotheby's link a little higher up.