My 308 story | FerrariChat

My 308 story

Discussion in '308/328' started by Thomas Magnum, Apr 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 Thomas Magnum, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    About a month ago, I fulfilled a long time dream and purchased a 1985 308 GTS Euro in Memphis. Thanks to F Chat for introducing me to Ferrari experts like Tony Abudmassih of TR Automotive in San Francisco (Taforza), Craig Calder of Fast Cars LTD in Redondo Beach (calder1), and Wade Nunez of Sport Classic and Competition in Mooresville, NC (308nut), who generously gave me their time and advice. Wade conducted the PPI in Memphis, and after the purchase, I shipped the car to him for some minor maintenance and a fluid service.

Yesterday, I flew to Charlotte and Wade picked me up in the 308. After the drive back to his shop and a brief tour, I set out on the four hour drive to my parents home just west of Atlanta. It was a beautiful, southern, Spring day and the car performed flawlessly. I even made it in time for a local car show with my Dad and our 1967 Pontiac GTO. It was a special day indeed! Lots of interesting questions and comments from the locals. Not many Ferraris is Villa Rica, Georgia.

The good book says "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Not sure David had a Ferrari in mind when he wrote Psalms 37, but I'm grateful and blessed beyond measure.

Mark

Here's a few pics of the trip and car:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin

3. bspellerin

bspellerin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2011
    Hermon, Maine
    Full Name:
    Brian Pellerin
    Welcome to the flock. Beautiful car!

4. FRIPS

FRIPS Karting

Jul 26, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Now that's the right way to pick up a new ride.

Congratulation! Sharp Car.

5. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congratulations and I appreciate your attitude of gratitude.

It sounds like you make a great purchase and did your homework first.

I am glad you and your father get to enjoy your special cars together. Great memories.

The best to you and your father,

DRG
    Jerry

6. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    I too am a 308 QV owner and come from a Pontiac GTO heritage. We restored them in my family when I was growing up. Both great cars! Welcome aboard.

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    She's sitting pretty!

Much as I'm glad to be out of Atlanta (Marietta) I do miss the winding roads around the farms in Villa Rica.

Enjoy!

8. gabiemorie

gabiemorie Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    Alamo, ca
    Full Name:
    Dom
  9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Reminds me of an episode of "Magnum" where there is a car chase with the GTS and...
    a GTO!

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh yeah, I certainly remember that. Had mixed feelings on how easily the GTO (70 model) caught up with the GTS. The look on Magnum's face when he sees it gaining in the mirror is funny!

I found that chase scene at the begin of this montage. Enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGO0XXfahbI]Magnum P.I. Ferrari 308 GTS - YouTube[/ame]

And here's where that GTO meets it's demise!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsibjPG-vtI]Magnum P.I Car Park Chase Scene - YouTube[/ame]

11. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Congrats! Welcome to the club! I see that your at about 2500 rpm at 70 mph? Is that correct?

Jim

12. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The windshield on my QV couldn't stop a stone from chipping it, let alone a bullet! :)

Congrats on your 308! I have had mine for a couple of years and still love it. It's a great car... I bought my 16" wheels from Wade and he was easy to work with.

Have fun!

13. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jim, looks right. I recall seeing a lot of 80 mph and 3000 rpm during my routine scan.

14. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Congratulations! I love the Euro.....but I might be a little biased.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Great story, Mark. Congratulations on the car. May your ownership experience be everything you hoped it would be!

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Good luck from a fellow (new) 308 GTS owner!

17. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Really? I didn't realize the QV's had taller gearing. I'm a 4000 rpm at 80mph in my 79 GTS.

I always feel like I need an extra gear.

Jim

18. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Glad you are loving your car Mark, it was a pleasure working for you and on your car. She is quite nice. After spending a couple weeks with it in the shop and going over everything we could, you certainly have a great one. Many many miles to go and I'm sure you will enjoy every one of them. New owners, new friends , I just love being a part of the dream.

Wade

19. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    Mine also turns 4000rpm at 80mph (indicated... I know I'm not REALLY going 80), and mine is an '83 QV (US).

20. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #20 Thomas Magnum, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    Well, I'll just have to go out and check it again, won't I? :)

I recall hearing the Euros had different gearing. Wade, you know these cars. What's the deal? I know it doesn't want to go LESS than 80 on the interstate. She wants to go, always seeming to ask for more.

21. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Lots of differences, HP, taller gearing, less weight, different exhaust, less emmisions, the list goes on. But, not all Euros are alike, Swiss had different requirements than German, and UK ETC

Wade

22. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #22 Steve Magnusson, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    Unfortunately, this type of comparison is often true for very specific situations -- e.g., a standard/euro 308QV does have a taller overall drive ratio from engine to rear wheels in 5th gear than a US 308QV -- but then the rule (wrongly) gets over-generalized -- e.g., a standard/euro 308QV actually has about the same gear overall drive ratio from engine to rear wheels in 5th gear as a '78-'79 US 308 carb:

euro 308QV = (30/27)(24/29)(65/17) = engine rotates 3.516 times for each 1 rear wheel revolution

US 308QV = (30/27)(24/29)(65/16) = engine rotates 3.736 times for each 1 rear wheel revolution

'78-'79 US 308 carb = (30/27)(24/28)(63/17) = engine rotates 3.529 times for each 1 rear wheel revolution

Have you ever tried to check the speedometer and tachometer accuracies? 4K RPM at 80 mph is reasonable for a US version 308QV, but seems off for a '78-'79 US version 308 carb. You don't have some crazy small rear tires mounted, do you?

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, actually I have already said this, but...
    There were no emission control devices, and no cats, on any 308 in Europe until the end of production.
    (but the swiss cars indeed had some different things, as different gear ratios).

The first country to implement laws that made the catalysator mandatory was indeed Switzerland (which is not in the E.U), in 1987.
    So, from 1987 onwards, the Swiss 328 were fitted with cats; it means that the 328s sold in Switzerland in 1985 and 1986 still do not have cats.
    Sweden then followed very soon afterwards, then Austria. Germany somewhat followed suit in 1989 as far as 328 were concerned, in so far as both version of the car were sold on the german market, with, or without cats. Should the buyer opted for a car with cats (identical to the swiss version) it gave right to a different taxation ("green patch").
    For the rest of Europe, and also in the UK I believe, the 328 were still without cats all along the car's career.
    First legislation passed all over EU implementing emission limitations, and therefore making cats mandatory, was 1992.

The principal difference between an "Euro" 308 QV and an American market one is the weight, as the QV was badly hurt by adaptation to the american market. Some sources says that the difference is more than 100 kilos (220 pounds).

Rgds

24. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You can't go wrong with Wade. I'm very glad that my 85 Euro spec was vouched and bought through him and is now at his shop.

25. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats from another euro owner! And btw my car definitely turns about 4k rpm at an indicated 80mph. However I have...uh...independent...verification that my speedometer actually reads 10mph too low.