My 308 story | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 308 story

Discussion in '308/328' started by Thomas Magnum, Apr 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Mine too. I have a 83 Euro. I downloaded a speedometer app to my phone which uses GPS and the car's speedo said I was doing 60 when I was really doing 70 and I was actually doing 80 when 70 was the indicated speed on the car's speedo.

2. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I agree with the inaccurate gauges, I usually tell all my customers NOT to rely on the gauges to be completely accurate.

Wade

3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Uh, wut?

Just kidding. Appreciate the info. Way above my comprehension level but interesting nonetheless. Hey, I just like the sound the car makes!

4. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Then why does my invoice say "$275 for instrument calibration"?

Gotcha! Car runs great Wade. Another 5 hr trip tomorrow and she's finally home. Got to beat that weather system before it hits Memphis Wednesday.

I'll take a pic when I hit 80 again and we'll all sleep better tomorrow night.

Mark

5. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. I've enjoyed reading your stories too. Impressive Ferrari resume. Maybe we'll cross paths some day.

Mark

6. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    Mine reads about 8% too high!

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Sounds great! I'll look forward to it.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Congratuations... you're going to enjoy it.

I bought my 308QV twenty-four years and 40,000 miles ago and I *still* love driving it and feel blessed to have it.

9. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    My speedo reads a little low. The tires I have are the compomotive 17" rims. I think its a 245/45/r17. I could probably go with a 245/50.

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #35 Thomas Magnum, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    UPDATE: Arrived safe and sound in Memphis a few hours ago. Just under 800 miles total. What a wonderful experience with a fantastic automobile! I've driven a few Ferraris before but never for this long. I told my wife it's like the car was designed for ME. Everything is where it should be and less is definitely more with this car.

For those of you interested in our MPH/RPM differences discussion, I determined my speedo reads about 7 mph higher than actual (based on rudimentary timing between mile markers). I am including a pic of the speedo at 80 and the tach just over 3,000 anyway.

Believe it or not, I achieved 22 mpg during a 140 mile stretch of mostly back roads and conservative driving, burning 6.3 gallons. I was asked several times about gas mileage and hadn't really thought about it, so I checked it. I realize it was ideal conditions, and just a short sampling. I bought the Ferrari for other reasons anyway and I have a Prius for running errands and going to work. Laugh if you must, but I got 60.2 mpg on a recent 236 mile trip to Mississippi.

A few more pics, one of my 86 year old Grandmother who I dropped in on this morning. Probably her first Ferrari sighting and while she thought it was "a pretty little car", she was worried I would catch cold driving around with the top off. LOL. One of me that pretty much says it all. And the last one is my little Thomas Magnum and his baby sis, as they got their first glimpse of the newest addition to the family when Daddy arrived home.

I've enjoyed reading all your comments. It's been fun sharing the first chapter of "My 308 Story" with like minded folks here on Ferrari Chat. Here's to many more fun filled chapters for us all!

God bless and see you out there,

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. GTO7

GTO7 Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    Congrads on your Euro... I am almost as excited for you as you are for you... I also am in the hunt for that Euro spec car for me. She is a looker... Wow... What a lady.. enjoy all she gives to you.

12. GTO7

GTO7 Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    Congrads on your Euro... I am almost as excited for you as you are for you... I also am in the hunt for that Euro spec car for me. She is a looker... Wow... What a lady.. enjoy all she gives to you.

13. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    Wonderful 308! Enjoy and drive the heck out of it!

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Life is good. :)

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Congratulations! Wade is a great guy and member of the original online Ferrari List!

16. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Great story and pics. I like the look of the Euro cars and it keeps pushing me toward changing my bumpers.

Happy Motoring!

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Congrats and welcome to Ownership!!!!

When I go to visit my mother this summer we will have to link up. She is just outside of Memphis these days.

PDG

18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Absolutely! Look forward to it!

Mark

19. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Welcome to the club! I bought my dream car, a 308 QV, in November and I still go out to the garage in disbelief that it's actually my car.

Enjoy it and drive it often.

20. OVERULD

OVERULD Rookie

Aug 10, 2009
    Mark:
    Congrats on your new Ferrari. We share a similar dream and I've enjoyed reading about your trip home. I noticed in the first series of photos that the one of the car at the Shell station appears to be at a Golden Pantry on Hwy 53 at I-85. If I am correct, you were just around the corner from the headquarters of Year One, the company famous for its aftermarket muscle car restoration parts. They have a monthly car show at their facility during the fair weather months and I've attended many times with my 71 GTO. I'm curious as to who your father is, as I may know him. Is he active in the Southeast GTO Association? I live in Suwanee. Beautiful 67 GTO by the way.

BJ

21. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Mark says he got 22 mpg out of his new 308. Wonder if all the people with Minis, Samartcars, and Yugos will be selling them to buy 308's? Beautiful car, Mark, enjoy it (and the good gas mileage)!!!

22. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's awesome, BIG congrats! My own drive home was also about 800 miles and yes I averaged about 22mpg the whole way. Funny though your speedo reads 7mph fast, mine reads 10mph slow, that's-a Italian! A 17mph swing between two similar cars. All things considered I think I'd rather have yours. :)

And the perfect name. :)

23. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #48 Thomas Magnum, Apr 26, 2013
    Braselton exit I believe, right? I saw the signs for Year One and have ordered from them in the past. In fact, the GTO was on the cover of their catalog about ten years ago or so. It was in a collage of several GTOs, with our hood and and grill prominently displayed. We order almost exclusively from Performance Years or Ames now. Better customer service. Year One isn't as Pontiac specialized anymore.

I have an old high school buddy who lives off the Hamilton Mill exit. I've driven the Goat there a time or two to visit. Thought about pulling in with the 308 but I think the gas exit at Braselton was the exit prior to Hamilton Mill and I was trying to make that car show with Dad.

Dad was active in the SEGTOA until last year and cited a lack of events on the west side of town as reason for leaving. Good group, good guys...he just doesn't venture into Atlanta anymore unless absolutely necessary but is very active with a local car club in the Douglasville/Villa Rica area. He was in the wholesale tire business for many years but has been retired over a decade now.

Appreciate the comments. Look forward to meeting you and other Ferrari folks (like "shmark" above) in Atlanta some time. I don't get back as often as I like but a fair amount nonetheless.

Mark

24. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #49 Thomas Magnum, Apr 28, 2013
  25. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Grainy video but pretty good sound of me and my son cruising in the 308. Finally got him a booster seat that fits! Hard to hear but he says "Hey Mom!" He loves navigating for me and is always up for a drive.

Over 1K miles now in three months. Loving every minute of it! I've got to get one of those GoPros...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULOlyqe-_YA&feature=player_detailpage]Growling 308 QV - YouTube[/ame]