My 308 story | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 308 story

Discussion in '308/328' started by Thomas Magnum, Apr 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B

2. F1Austin

F1Austin Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Near Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Pat Welch
    Off the line,My 47407 will bite that GeeTo on the ass and @ 80 will blow by like an anchor fell out of the Pontiac's trunk.I run 7700 thru the gears.,Very nice cars,I had a 1964 Pontiac GTO,,,it had the very same engine as my 1959 Cadillac.Identical

3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hahahaha. You might nibble on my GTO's rear bumper cause you would definitely be behind me. It's no joke. I bought that car in 1986 for $3600. Replaced the non-original 400 (from a 69 Firebird) with a correct 67 GTO 400 H.O. in 1993. It may be a little tired now, as my Dad has added air conditioning and replaced the race inspired 400 turbo trans with a mild rebuilt one with no shift kit. But my friend Quint Stires (RIP - Remembering Quint Stires - High Performance Pontiac) built the motor, and it was VERY quick. Serious Pontiac folks will remember Quint.

I've had the Goat over 27 years now and recently told my wife it will eventually costs us more than the 308. I have big plans for it, leaning to a complete resto-mod rebuild with a Butler Pontiac motor some day. It's retired to the local cruise ins and Saturday club shows with my Dad and I'm in no hurry to get it back if you know what I mean. It's been good therapy for him following some serious health issues.

4. F1Austin

F1Austin Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Near Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Pat Welch
    Thanks for the reply.On full 7700rpm launch I would never be behind your door knob and @ 80 you would disappear ,,been there done that w/hemi RR.kawasaki/VMax/new camero.Run the hell out of your 308qv,I was very surprised at how vicious my mechanic can run this antique.It may be efi/busa time!

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congratulations and welcome. Nice shakedown cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've been here awhile (old thread resurrected). Very much enjoyed your recent build with Newman. Congrats!

7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Yep that's as per my 2valve also. On another thread recently, this difference in gearing was noted.

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

Damn, busted again. I have got to remember to check dates of posts. Thank you, glad you enjoyed the thread. Wouldn't have happened without fchat and the great help from voices around the globe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Roger103

Roger103 Karting

Sep 13, 2009
    Full Name:
    Trim Tab
    Are you saying someone put a Pontiac GTO engine (389 cid) into your Cadillac? The GTO was way lighter.

10. Roger103

Roger103 Karting

Sep 13, 2009
    Full Name:
    Trim Tab
    I just looked up some average numbers on the 308 and GTO. I was shocked to think a 308 could out run the original muscle car.

308 (multiple years I looked up all seem to be close): 0-60: 7.2 1/4 mile: 15.8
    Ferrari Testarossa : 0-60: 5.8 1/4 mile: 14.2
    1965 Pontiac GTO: 0-60: 5.8 1/4 mile: 14.5

11. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, 1.3 sec is an eternity in the 1/4.

12. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #62 Thomas Magnum, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can't think of a better thread to put this story than here:

Today, I was at a local Cars and Coffee. I noticed this kid (far left in Ferrari shirt) circling the 308 like a shark as soon as I parked. I said something like "Nice shirt" and went on my way looking at cars. Came back about a half hour later and he's still there, so I said "get in, I'll take your pic." He smiled and sat for a pose. We talked and he knew a lot about Ferraris, no doubt. Big fan of the 458. He's 15 and reminded me of myself back at the same age in 1985.

Anyway, left again to look at some more cars, talk to a few friends, etc., and when I finally went to leave, he's still standing there taking pictures. I asked if he wanted to go for a ride, and he couldn't believe it. I made him call his Mom and ask permission, and away we went. I'm not sure who got more out of this shared experience, me or him, but we were both smiling from ear to ear. Great kid and refreshing to see someone his age with an interest in cars. Most teenagers I encounter don't even notice the 308. There is hope for us yet!

Have a great weekend fellas! I sure am.

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. electrogunner

electrogunner Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2013
    Amish country PA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That is awesome. That is what it's all about,sharing the hobby and sport.

14. Wolfjurgen

Wolfjurgen Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Georgia, U.S.
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Awesome post, congrats Mark!

I'm going through a ton of info on the forum and absolutely love seeing posts like this one. I hope to have my own post like this in the next year or two, I'm leaning towards the 308 or 328.

All the best.

Ed

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    14.2 seems mighty quick for a STOCK 64 GTO. I drag raced for many years - primarily in SS classes but spent a LOT of time at the drag strip and don't recall ever seeing a stock GTO in street trim break into the 14's. Stock they were all pretty much mid/low 15 cars if driven in off the street.

I'd bet that 14.2 time was a massaged car with headers, a lower than standard rear gear and probably some better than stock tires.

16. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #66 Thomas Magnum, Mar 21, 2014
    One year anniversary today (March 21) as a Ferrari owner. Couldn't be happier. Made a lot of new friends, both in person and online here. Proud to be part of the community.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Way to go Mark!

18. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Time flies when you are having fun! Congrats!

19. Wolfjurgen

Wolfjurgen Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Georgia, U.S.
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Happy Anniversary Mark!

20. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    I know this is an old post,,,,,,, but I will write anyway,,,,,I too have an '85 Euro.
    Did anybody find out anything further on the amount if Euros in the USA?
    And why do some have black insert grills in the bonnet........mine are red
    Just curious........
    Matt K

21. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    #71 fer308qv, Sep 26, 2014
  22. Conchyjodyoos

Conchyjodyoos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2013
    FL450
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 85 GTS Euro left the factory (and believe all euros did) with color matched painted vents and a previous owner had mine re painted black. Personal preference but I like them black on my red car.

23. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We're trying! Check this thread out and register your beautiful Euro QV. Chassis #, S or B, color combo, general location...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/433007-euro-qvs-north-america.html

Mark

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum and to the Euro QV group!

My 84 Euro QV was delivered on Jersey, Channel Islands, ended up in Canada by 2000. It is still original Rosso Corsa paint, and has the black vents on the hood and fenders as delivered from the factory.

This has been discussed before - to my recollection, while all US 308QVs had black vents, and most Euro QVs had body colour vents, there are a significant number of Euro QVs that also had black vents like mine from the factory.

25. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    Thanks All!
    Been trying for ever to determine how many Euros are around.............