My 328 going to Continental on Tuesday... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 328 going to Continental on Tuesday...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Tod328gts, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You are right about the more cars the harder it is to stay together. But,Mostly in the City or 'Burbs. Out on the Open Road,it's more fun with more cars. But,being in the City or 'Burbs,as long as we have some 2-way radios,we might not always be able to stay totally together,but,close. I remember about,6 years or so ago. I was in a Corvette Parade/Road Tour with the Windy City Corvette Club. I had 3 Vettes at that time.('75 Convertible,'95 LT1,and an '81 with a 383 Stroker) We had about 150 cars. I was in my '75 Convertible,and had the top down. It was in July,and about 4PM in the Afternoon. They had State Police,County Police,and the Local Police from the 3 or 4 Western Suburban Towns that we drove through,blocking the cross streets. It was awesome having that many Corvettes all in a row. I was about in the middle of the group,and could see 'Vettes in front,and back,as far as I could see. (Imagine that with Ferrari's!:) ) We went through fairly quick,so most people who had to wait for all of the Corvettes to pass were pretty cool about it. People lined up all along our route. Lots of Fun. But,we had to all have our Headlights on throughout the drive,like in a Funeral Procession. Well,the following year,when they had the Corvette Parade. The law in Illinois Changed so that everyone had to put on their headlights when it rained. Well,we had our headlights on for the Road Tour,but,it started drizzling,and everyone else did,too. So,there was no way to Differentiate,or seperate our Corvette Road Tour from the regular traffic. Had a few close call accidents. So,that was the last year for that.(Plus,they couldn't get the cooperation from the Police that they had in the previous year to block the crossroads) But,if we had a smaller group of Ferrari's,that could work.

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Ok, Got the latest low down from the dealer... GULP....

Well, besides doing the major service, the shift shaft seals i guess are nutorious leakers on the 3x8 cars. Mine has been leaking for some time and i guess the seal between the oil tank and trans tank was leaking, so it filled the trans up with oil and it was comming out the overflow, causing a big mess under the car. So, this they are going to fix. They are also going to adjust the clutch, replace all fluids, including antifreeze, brake fluid, trans oil, motor oil... I have them also looking at a crack in the fiberglass behind the rear wheel too...

I'm going to try to get over there on Monday to see my baby and get some pictures...

OK, the estimate from the dealer is about $8,000... Gulp.....

Let's hope that doesn't go any higher, they said too, if my Tubi comes in soon, they would have no problem installing it..

Stay Tuned for more updates.......

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

If they're working on the clutch, I would have it replaced with a carbon fiber one. Clutch replacements are difficult and expensive. Just my $ 0.02.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,IMO,$8000.00 for service would be a heck of alot easier to swallow if the cars were valued more. $8K on a $100,000.00 up car,Well,I could deal with that alot easier. But,with 3X8 values really down right now. Paying $8,000.00 is tough,but,you gotta do it. And,after all,we bought our Ferrari's because we Love them. And,will do whatever it takes to keep them in great shape. Because,what price can you pay for peace of mind? And...when the 3X8's go up in a few years,which they will. Having a well cared for. Documented,Serviced Ferrari will make it that much more valuable in the Long run. (Not that you'd want to sell it.) So,it will be worth it. Especially,this Summer when ever you take her out,you will be confident that it shouldn't break down...AND,it's a good thing that they discovered that other problem,now,before it possibly could have escalated into a much bigger,$$$$$$,problem!!

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And,to continue on that subject. I think that a major service on a 3X8 should somehow reflect the cars value. I really think that there are alot of 3X8's out there that don't get properly serviced because of that. (Which,I would say,If they can't afford the up keep of a Ferrari,they don't belong in one) But,the bare facts of the matter are that alot of people do not see the value of sinking $6-8,000.00+ into a $20-40,000.00+-20 something year old car. And,it's a real shame. Because,these guys buy them. Run them into the ground,then get rid of them. They should be maintained properly. I saw a thread here on FChat once,that said that an engine rebuild on a 308 is (est.) $20-25,000.00! NO body is going to pay that on a $20-40,000.00+ car. Right now,I think that a reasonable amount to pay for a major service would be $2000-$4,000. Judging from some of the posts that I've seen from some of the guys who are able to do it themselves for Hundreds,in parts. Not Thousands. Me? I'll pay whatever I have to to keep my car in perfect condition.(within reason-except for that $20K plus engine rebuild. Used engine,or,parting out at that point!) I believe that if all of these cars were maintained and serviced properly. They'd all be worth more right now. It's the "Roaches" that bring the rest of them 'down'. But,the well cared for cars will be worth more someday,and the fewer that there are,The more that they'll be worth...both Monetarily,and in 'Value'.

6. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, Talking with Gary at Continental, the service manager, he was telling me that, if a timing belt broke in a 3x8 car and you were traveling at highway speeds, that that would not be a good thing. He told me more than likely the head would get seriously damaged, which means to be replaced and a head from Ferrari is about $10K. Then he said that the pistons and valves would be shot, all of them would need to get replaced, he was saying that pistons are all weighted, so you need to replace them all to have the equal weight, of course you would need new valves and bearings too and hopefully the crank shaft is ok... I'm sure it would probably run between $20k and $30K for that. So, that makes $8k look cheap...

Plus, remember, i have them doing additional work too, shift shaft seals and a little body work too... After i get the car completed i will post the service papers with everything itemized...

As for the Clutch, they said the clutch looked good, so i think i will hold off on that, see how it goes this summer, maybe a next winters service if needed.... Lets hope not, but when the clutch does go, i'll keep the carbon fiber in mind...

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh,I certainly agree with you on that. When I decided that I wanted to own a Ferrari,I realized that Service is a part of it,and I accepted that fact. So,I'm not complaining. But,I just think that if it was a little more reasonable,more people would get it done,and,ultimately,the Service providers would make MORE Money. Because,they'd get MORE customers in for service...who wouldn't balk at the idea because of cost. Plus,as in your case,they would probably get MORE additional business out of it.(= More Money for them. Peace of mind for the Customer. Well serviced Ferrari in the "Pool".) But,if the cars aren't coming in because they don't want to spend that 'big money',then the Service providers are also losing out at all those potential dollars. And,the cars aren't getting serviced,and turning into junk,bringing down the rest of them,due to "bad reputation". Some guy buys one of these unserviced Ferrari's. It breaks down on him,suddenly,"Ferrari's Suck". When,in actuality,it's not the cars fault that it wasn't serviced properly.But,it gets the bad rep. And,yes,if a belt blew out on the Highway,and caused $20K-Plus in Damage to the engine,on a say,$25-35K car. Who's going to go through with it? I think that the car would suddenly become a "parts car". Unfortunately,there are people who are just able to get a Ferrari,but,can't-or won't-pay to maintain it properly. But,Thats part of the Deal. They need to be able to afford to maintain it if they buy it. If they can't,then they should buy a 'Vette,or a Camry,or something. Ferrari ownership is more than just having the car,the keys,and the Title.

8. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    $8000, did you tell them you already own the car and this is just service work :) I really wonder what my suspension rebuild would cost at a dealer, at GOOD prices I still have about $2500 in parts alone.

9. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, $8k is a lot, but i am having them do additional stuff to the 30K service. The last 30K on my car was done about 7 years ago, then it sat for years without being driven. Just the 5 months that i drove it last year, i put almost the same amount of miles on the car than were actually on the car. When i aquired the car begining of July, 2003, it had 5200 original miles on it. It has about 9200 on it now. So i added about 4k miles on it and all i did to it last year was put new tires on and the water pump rebuild.

So now, i can have a piece of mind for the next 5 years or so knowing it has a fresh major service done. Then maybe over the next 5 years i may decide to start getting my hands dirty and start doing my own work on it??? We'll see..... Or maybe i'll upgrade to a 355 or 360 spider??? Hmmm???? :)

10. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    $8000 is nuts! I just had my 328 30k plus clutch done by an IFS for right at 4k. Continental also charged 8.5k for a 15k on my 355. Same IFS completed the more extensive 30k for 5k. I hate to see people taken advantage of. 8k for that work is not near right! This is not an engine out service! You should renegotiate. Everything is negotiable.
    My 02.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Would you mind telling us the name of your IFS?

12. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It is a well known shop on Addison. I can't say much more, I will be black listed at Continentals parts Dept. Randy, Gary and Scott will hold a grudge.

13. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #38 Dave Bendl, Feb 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tod,
    As with most maintenance on these cars, the major part of the expence is the amount of labor involved. For example, I just completed the replacement of the shift rod seals on my 308. There are (2) seals involved. Only one of the two was seeping oil. The outer seal, not the one located between the engine & gearbox. None the less, I replaced both. The seals are designed to seal one way, and if installed backwards by someone not familiar with this type of seal design, it would leak after a very short time. Ferrari does not provide a procedure for seal replacement in the 308's service manual. Total for the parts on this job was $35. My time involved to complete the job was about 9-10 hrs. If I were to charge myself labor @ $100/hr, there's $1000.

Regarding your 30k major, it wouldn't hurt to ask more questions. Ask Gary to itemize the total.
    I believe it is standard practice by Continental to do a full valve adjustment, and replace all the following: camshaft seals, timing belts, tensioner bearings, air filter, and water pump rebuild with the 30k maintenance. Ask and make sure. Many other shops may be less expensive, but also may be cutting corners.

I once looked at a 308 that was being sold by a "classic car" dealer on the south side. I asked for the maintenance receipts after the salesman told me the major service was just completed. Major service my eye!They replaced only one of the two timing belts ! That was their idea of a major service.

Attached is a pic of the shift rod, one of the two seals, and the silient block bushing.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    But,also keep in mind that Continental generously offers a 10% discount to Ferrari Club members. But,still. As I stated in earlier posts. It's pretty hard to swallow when the cars are really down in value right now. And,if it were a bit more 'reasonable'. More people would be doing it,thus generating the same money,to the service provider,if not more,for service.And,other service related issues,Present and future. IMO. I think we need to collectively learn how to do this ourselves,so that when one of our cars are up,we can all assist,and get it done quicker,and at considerably less cost. And,put that saved money into upgrades-Tubi's,wheels,other repairs,etc...:)

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    So.......what you're afraid to say is, Giovanni at Autosprint. :)

Still, I keep telling you guys, see my guy Ed.

I do use Continental, and buy most parts through them; the guys there are great and Randy's the best. I can't give enough accolades to him!

Mark, Gary, Tod etc., etc.; in fact the whole staff at Continental is great, including John Weinberger and Lisa.

I've known all of them for years, but when it comes to service work, I try to use my guy Ed, because of price.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'll keep an eye out for low flying Aircraft going over my house in a SouthEasterly direction...........Tod!!! :)

17. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Ok, Stopped over at Continental this afternoon to check on my baby. Things are looking good there. They were real friendly too, i must have spent about an hour there chatting with Gary and the mechanic working on my car (Dale).

I have a few pictures from today, one of the inside of the transmission, another one of inside the oil tank and both of these showing the shift shaft rod and the seals that need to get replaced. I have another shot of the side of the engine of the water pump and another one of the A/C compressor. I also took a couple shots of the mounting of the Muffler, so when i get my Tubi in, i can put it in.. :)

I also learned from Dale, on this car, there is a Ground wire going to the ECU that makes it perform the U.S. standards, he said if you disconect it, the car will get more low end and perform to the European Standards. :) So, i may have a better running 328 this summer guys... :)

Ok, here are the pictures as of today :

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ouch! That looks scary! Hey,maybe I'll post some graphic pix of my Back Surgery. Of the "Inner Workings",if you will....HeeHeeHee!!!!!!!!:)

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I know nothing about the mechanics (no secret there), but I would be very hesitant with that stuff until your car is old enough to no longer go to the EPA emissions test. Once that hurdle is a thing of the past, disconnect the whole mess.

I have no issue with an aftermarket wing, but the fun stops at the EPA.
    :)

Keep shooting those pics. I'd still like one for the next calendar. But then again you wanted to have your car next to a F-16. Choices, choices, choices...

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    P.S....Do they have that same Ground Wire on a 308,and,where the Heck is it!!! I'm ready to yank it,right now!!!!

21. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I was told that ground wire doesn't effect the emmisions of the car. He is going to add a connector in line, so all i have to do is un plug it and BAM! This baby will scream!! Especially with that Tubi!! :)

I can't wait for the spring, hope it comes early!!!

22. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The techs. at Continental are very knowledgeable. If Dale, Tod, Mark or Gary etc, say it's so, it's so!!!

23. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    As the ECU controls the engine functions, it is most likely retarding the timing for US standards, if this is the case who cares as long as you reconnect it before an EPA test

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Bob,would that be kind of the same thing as putting in one of those "Performance Chips" like you can in the Newer cars? Maybe,not quite as radical,but,in the same vein? And,I wonder if we can do that on our 308's,too? I just had my Emmissions test,so I'm good for a couple years,then,I don't know how old a car has to be for more Relaxed Standards. But,my car just turned 23. (It was built in January of '81)

25. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Frank, same basic thing just done by a very simple method, I'm sure the ground wire in question justs activates a circuit to retard the timing, in IL you can apply for a race/show car exemtion, must prove it is a limited use car ( 2500 mi a year or less ) by providing your ins papers. Over 25 years old you can get an historic plate which exempts you from tests