My 328 going to Continental on Tuesday... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 328 going to Continental on Tuesday...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Tod328gts, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ah,yes. Thank you,sir! My Insurance policy that I have on the 308 is for 2500 miles,or less,per year.(but,I can change that at any time. Will just make my 6 month premium go up about $200.00. No biggie.) Although,in the 3 years that I've owned it,have only put on 4500 miles. So,I have the 2500 for this year,wide open,and perhaps,some "Banked" miles.(an additional 3000,maybe. Of course,service records could shut that theory down. If I bring it in anywhere. But,I've changed the Oil myself the last few times,as,the Filter is just broken in.) I thought about the Antique plates,but,don't particularly care for the look of them. Who knows. That could change in the next 2 years.

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I was told by Dale, that disconnecting that wire will do something with the timing, but re-assured me, even in that mode, the 328 should have NO problems passing Emmisions when it comes due...

I will have him show me where the wire is later this week and try to get some pictures of it to show every one, i will also ask him if it's the same for the 308 models....

How do Insurance companies know how many miles you put on your car in a year???? I put 4k on mine the 5 months i drove it last year, i know this year i will probably double that.... How will insurance companies know?????

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't think insurance companies know about how many miles you put on. However the 2,500 miles apply to maintenance/show driving. So if you have an accident on an Interstate in Michigan, they would probably be quite reluctant to pay for your car. That's why I never tried to go that route.

4. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Changing the timing will effect the emissions, maybe not enough to fail the test.

On my ins. on the 308, each year on renewal I do have to give the current mileage

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And,with the 2500 miles allowed,with my Insurance co.,It's not just for Maintenance or Show. It's for anywhere I want to go. It's not "Classic Car Insurance" It's just because they know,or ask,if the car isn't going to be driven in Bad weather. Winter stored. Not driven in the Winter,or Snow. Locked in a Garage. Stuff like that. But,one Drive to Arizona,and I'm done for the year. Unless I just upgrade. Thats all.

6. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    So you get 10% off the total service bill at Continental if you're an FCA or FOC member? If so I have to join before I get my service done, if I get it done there.

7. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Yes, but it's only good until the end of March. It's for FCA members. So, i joined too for the 10% off.... I think it's just on the Major Service bill part??? I'll let everyone know when i get the bad news, i mean bill....

They are very thorough at Continental, they were finding a bunch of small stuff and fixing it as they go through the car. So, my car should be pretty much brand new when i get it back...

8. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    Tod: Com'on, did I read that right, that you joined the FCA to get a discount on your service bill ?

I've got to believe that being an FCA member gives us all a lot more than a little discount here and there. Not that there is anything wrong with saving some cash, but we bring a lot more to your table than that, would you not agree ??

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Drew, I fully agree with you, but you have touched on a fine point: What is the incentive for a non member to join a Ferrari club?

As a non member you have just about the same rights and priviledges like a regular member. You can attend all events, participate etc. Granted at a higher price, but still. Club newsletters can't compete with the speed of information of internet communication anymore. So what's left?

I'm playing here devil's advocate of course. I'm a FCA member and realize that the membership contributions make it possible to have a club that hosts events. I know that. But why would a lone wolf want to join? It's a bit like paying taxes (although there we don't have a choice).

I find this question fascinating because as somebody who cares about the club, I have always wondered what else could we really offer that makes people want to join.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
  11. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Ok, sorry about that, i guess i worded that wrong. To tell you the truth, i have been meaning to join the FCA since last year when i got my car in July, it just wasn't a priority at that time, i was trying to get use to my first Ferrari. A lot of the guys on F-Chat that i have met hear are FCA members and told me a lot of neat things that the club did. So, i was planning on joining prior to me even knowing my car was going to get a Major this winter and prior to knowing of the 10% discount too..

Sorry for the confussion, sometimes i type different than what i think. :)

12. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    An intresting point Andreas, but one that could go beyond just the FCA club and ask the question as to why join any club for that matter ?

Why would you join a fancy golf country club when you can just go to the local park district and do the same thing ?

It's about one's personal preferences. Where do YOU want to be and what do you want to do.

Do you want to be an integral part of a real organization and make a committment and have hands-on involvement, or do you just want to go to an event and look at cars ? Maybe a better way to put it would be, do you want to be an actual player or just a spectator.

As to the issue of a non-member having the same rights as a club member. That is clearly not the case. While anyone may attend a public event, the general rule is you must be member (in good standing) to enter a car. Exceptions ? Of course. The Automobili Italiane ( former Oakbrook event ) is an example. Some events are private and accessable to members only (Prancing Horse, the Fribergs, etc.) Additionally there is the corral parking, the gifts and awards,and some serious food opportunities (Italian Village and others).

Drew

13. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    Andreas: As to your point of the "internet communication" vs. the club newsletter--those are two different mediums serving two different audiences. They both have their place and they both do a fine job. Differently of course.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Drew, I didn't know that certain events are for members only. Since I've been a FCA member before I had the car, I guess I never realized that. So there is a compelling reason.

You have a point about the difference between electronic vs print media: Different people preferring different things. Old habits are changing slowly, understood.

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hey gang, I just saw my previous 2 posts.

Please disregard them, as they don't have anything to do with anything.

Sorry Drew, and everyone. Please just forget what was said.

These wild swings in my blood sugar levels have a tendency to change my demeanor from nice guy to hostile guy.

Again, I give my apology for yet more unwarranted posts.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If anybody needs something deleted, just let me know. That's what a moderator is here for.

17. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, Stopped over at Continental friday afternoon and my car is pretty much completed. I guess they had a slight problem with the A/C, somehow it got filled up with over a pint of oil in it. Dale was able to drain it all out and re-charge it (With R-12) and it is spitting ice cubes out now. Not that i want that now, but when it gets real hot out in the summer on one of our drives, the cold air will feel nice.... Other than that, Gary is going to give me a disk with pictures he took throughout the week of the car in it's different stages, when i get that and the final bill, i will post it here for everyone to scrutinize...

I also met Mike E. (FCA Pres for this region) on friday too, nice guy, also told me a lot about the Gingerman day in may....

Well, hopefully my Tubi comes in next week, then while my car is at Continental, i will have them put it on for me, they said the 328 is easy to install a tubi....

18. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Hey,

Just got a call from Gary over at Continental, he recieved my Tubi this morning and they will be putting it in today or tomorrow, then my car is DONE!!! He said i may be able to pick it up on friday, i hear the weather is going to be nice!! AWESOME!!!! Rather than have them trailer it back to my house, i will get to drive it, i may not go home then, just go on a road trip after getting the car, like start driving SOUTH!! :)~

Ok, i am ready to start our drives now !!!

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    To quote Bak-a-lak-kal-aka-lak: "Chitown just got a little louder."

20. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, Gary just called and my car is done and running great, i am planning on getting it from the dealer on friday and driving it home, probably will take the long way home... :)

So, if anyone is in the vicinity of Continental on friday afternoon and hears a loud TUBI on a 328, that will probably be me.... :)

Hopefully the vibration won't disturb Frank while he is recovering.... Sorry frank if it does....... ;)

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!

22. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    My TR is at Continental for the seatbelt recall and a fluids change. Give her a little pat for me if you will. Seeing the big empty space in my garage makes me sad she won't be back home until next week...

23. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Will do, my garage has been empty for some time too, i know how you feel. But Tomorrow is going to be a great day and i will be driving my Black beauty home... :) Norm, where in Peoria are you from, My family is from Peoria, i still have an Aunt and Uncle there, they live in Dunlop and my Uncle and Cousin both work at CAT.

Say HI to Big AL's for me ..... :)

Tod