My 360 spider won’t start. Advise please | FerrariChat

My 360 spider won’t start. Advise please

Discussion in '360/430' started by SStafford, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    Hey new to Ferarri chat. I have a 03 /360 spider / 3 pedal Engine turns over but will not start. I sprayed small amount of ether and it tries to crank. Seems like getting spark but no gas. Was driving fine with no indication of problem Any advice please?

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Have you checked the fuel pressure? Are you throwing any codes?

3. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    Have not checked codes or pressure. Engine turns over fine just does not fire. I sprayed a tiny amount of ether and it barely tried to fire. I know it has 2 fuel pumps, so if one was not working it should at least try to fire from the other fuel pump. I wonder if there is only one fuel relay module for both pumps? I know there are 2 fuel fuses so don’t think both fuel fuses burned out. It seems like something related to both system since no fuel is being pumped at all ? Thanks for your rely

4. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    Sounds more like your immobilizer isnt working. Be sure your FOB is working.

Regards,
    Joerg

5. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    I thought the same so I tried another key and the red master key one also. However , if you don’t turn off immobilizer when starting the car it will not engage the starter. My starter turns on and engine is trying to crank. Wonder if the immobilizer is a 2 part system. Meaning it allows the engine to turn over but not not fuel to come to pressure. I am pushing the button on the key fob when the “ ok” comes on. Usually just cranks up at this time. Thanks for your reply Steven

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Measure the battery voltage as you crank the engine. It should not be below 10 volt. If so, you have a weak battery. You'll need a multimeter with a min/max function to hold the measurement in order to perform this test.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Also, is this an F1 or a 6 speed?

8. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    It is a 6 speed.

Yes have multi meter I can do this test. When parked The battery is always hooked up to a battery maintainer so it seems like a full charge. Perhaps it is not producing over 10 volts. Great suggestion. I will give it a test. Thanks

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Another question, how old is your battery?

If its 4 years or older its time for replacement.

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    No, each pump has its own relay. Maybe dumb, but sure you are not out of fuel?

11. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    At least in my (euro spec) Modena it will engage the starter and crank as long as the driver tries. However, it will not supply the fuel thus making engine not starting.

Maybe there's something going on at your immo... Hopefully not, those immobilizer problems are real PITA stuff to sort out.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    In order to rule out fuel as an issue you need to establish if you have fuel pressures on each side.

I have a question for the experts. If only 1 fuel pump is operating has anyone ever connected a jumper hose to the other side (special hose to depress each Schrader valve).
    Would be good to know in an emergency to get both banks working although in a reduced capacity

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've never tried connecting a jumper hose to the other side, though it can be done with some fancy setup. The problem is that the fuel pressure will drop by half. Instead of 45 psi, it'll be 23 psi per bank with the engine running rough and rich.

14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Not to hijack this thread but I was figuring that in an emergency instead of limping with only one bank you could have both but with reduced performance.
    Too bad the fuel pump discharge pressures aren't enough for both banks. The single Bosch 044 pump in my 5.0, 32V V8 supports both banks up to 500+ HP.
    Hose does not have to be fancy. There are adapters that depresses the Schrader valves. I have it on my Pressure gauge.

15. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    Maybe add this to discussion. I have had my “slow down “ read out show. Meaning sensor in the cat is registering high temp and shutting down that bank of 4 cylinders. Happens sometimes right when I start driving and engine is not even hot. I pull over and hit it with an ir light and temp is good. I hit each cylinder also and temp is normal. So must be a bad sensor. Not sure if has anything to do with fuel not going to either side of engine when i am trying to start the car. Starter is working and engine turning over but no fuel. Ether makes to fire so i know it has spark. Do you think this may have something to do with no fuel pressure. I think it may be the imm also
    Steven

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The ECUs expects the engine to be around 200-300 RPM when cranking before delivering fuel. This is to prevent flooding the cylinders with fuel. If the starter or battery is weak, then the engine will not fire.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Those ECU's are famous for failing, and since you are getting it right away I would imagine that yes, you do have that issue. What color is the "slow down" light? Was it going into limp mode?

BUT...I don't think it is related to your starting problem. Could be a fuel or ignition issue, probably something simple (comparatively), but we need more to go on here. Fuel pressure readings and a code scan, even just a cheap OBDII scan would tell a lot more about what's going on with the motor. You can have a pending code that is not made it to "active" yet since the car isn't running.

18. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    Ok thanks great info. Just to eliminate I will replace battery first. Then I will get s obdll scan and give this a try , then post results. Thanks so much. Steven

19. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    Hey it lives. Just an update. Finally put this starting problem behind me. Apparently both keys lost their code and would not turn off immobilizer. One time using the red key fob, it turned on. I had both keys reset and it all works fine now. So all along the problem had to do with the alarm system. Much thanks to everyone for responding and helping me out. I learned a lot trying to Looking other possibilities which seem to always bring me back to the alarm system.

Thanks again.

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Glad it is fixed but what do you mean by 'lost their code'? I have had my car for 13 years and I have never had a fob do that. A cloned fob can do that but not an original because the codes for each fob are stored individually. My guess, one of the two black fobs is a clone. The red worked because it isn't a clone but that didn't fix the underlying issue that clones get out of sync. In other words, this problem will recur if you don't fix it properly and cloning isn't fixing the issue properly.

21. SStafford

SStafford Rookie

Jul 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Stafford
    Exactly, I was thinking the same thing while I was writing my last message. It could happen again. No ferrrari dealer here but good technition got involved and reprogrammed both keys. Maybe they were cloned. With your advice, soon when I shop the car to dealer to have work preformed I will bring this issue up and have it fixed so it hopefully won’t happen again. See i am still learning. Thank goodness I had my red key fob.

Dano360NC likes this.