My 430 Challenge | FerrariChat

My 430 Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Gh21631, Jan 27, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This was bought from a fellow Fchatter a few months ago but it's been in the shop getting some things corrected and sorted as well as some performance upgrades. We are doing a custom exhaust as well as a carbon Gruppe M intake which is on order. New clutch, brakes and a number of other things that needed to be addressed. Anyways, here are some pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster, SoCal1, tomgt and 7 others like this.
  2. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany

I have the sister car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomgt, wthensler and Gh21631 like this.
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Wow, that is quite the collection! Which one’s your fav? (just kidding, sort of).

Looks like an engine rebuild and hubs……how long did they go before repair and how did you know when it’s time?

I’m looking very hard at a 458 Challenge Evo, I don’t want to run my stock 458 on track anymore. - it’s become too dangerous.

4. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany

wthensler likes this.
  5. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Did the car stay in Massachusetts looks like John Terrell shop?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    stock up on wheel bearings. You are going to need them at the track and a spare alternator and the stupid kill switch. Trust me :)

Go get a spare kill switch now. It causes so many problems on the 430.

JAM1 and Gh21631 like this.
  7. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bahb7 and Gh21631 like this.
  8. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Congrats! I ran with Bob last year at Watkins Glen at the FCA event. Hope to see you there this year if you are in the area. I will attend one of the two not sure which yet. That car runs strong! And Bob is a good driver!

Bahb7 likes this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hi Peter, I will be at the Glen again this year in May and again in Sept. We’ve met a few times, I think recently at Road Atlanta.

I have the white 458 spider but am looking into a 458 Challenge EVO, stay tuned.

Attached Files:

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oh William, yes we have! See you at FCA VIR first! We are co-sponsoring again

wthensler likes this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Nice! Done deal, I just bought the car. Needs transport home, I should see it late next week.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not sure if I'll be there for FCA but I believe it's on the schedule for Challenege which I plan to run.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster and wthensler like this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Last year the mid-Atlantic FCA had a two day track day event, which was one of the two VIR events I participated in. I really like that track and will be back I. 2023 - probably with Chin in March.

I don’t race and no plans to do anything else than HPDE and enjoy the tracks I encounter and of course the people. Hopefully we’ll meet up along the trail!

Nice car, by the way!

JAM1 and Gh21631 like this.
  14. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So now I am intrigued. So you are running the Challenge series? That must be a blast! So that is your 488 too in the pic or driver share? One thought if you still have the tranny and rear end out of the 430 for the clutch, mine is :) for a rear main seal, but did the clutch, throw out, pilot..... "while I am there", you might want to consider sending the F1 shifting actuator and pump to GTE Engineering for an upgrade. While i only do track days not wheel to wheel I sent mine up. The shifting looses some of its crispness and has a slightly longer lag over time. Even street cars he rebuilds feel tremendously different. He guarantees a very quick shift time, maybe .7 seconds i do not recall but the difference is very noticeable. I am doing it for the fun of feeling the shift but if you race the 430 it would be very beneficial. Also I had him redo all my HP lines on the system. His are almost as much as factory but much much better built. I finally had one go at the Glenn last Labor Day so it was time.

Bahb7 and JAM1 like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah my car and the 3rd year. I might be dialing back this year though, I am already gonna Homestead cause my fuel cell is getting recertified right now.

16. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well then track days will not be as fun!! My car is Eileen Bildman's car (one of them) from her Club Challenge days. Hope to meet you at an event one day.
    Peter

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Track days are great, you are always learning and nothing beats seat time. Its like going to the range to work on your game before you get on the course.

18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I hope to be out with my soon-to-be delivered 458 Challenge EVO at Road Atlanta later this month (Chin). I’m gonna do a bunch of FCA events at VIR and the Glen, and more at Sebring.

Most likely won’t best the 35 days I got in last year, but it’ll be a real learning experience in a dedicated track car.

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  19. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
    Yes, I had the car in Massachusetts for about 5 yrs before I sold it. And yes, that's John's shop in the pic.

20. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
    Thanks, Peter. Hope to see you out at the Glen again this year!

02360spider likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Do you have people to support that car?

22. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Short answer, yes……

I have local support for off track maintenance - fluids, brakes, plugs, coils, alignment, tire changes, etc. Maranello Autosport in Eustis can do much more if the car ever needs it - engine and DCT, fuel cell, etc. Hopefully we aren’t near there yet

I have several friends with the same car who have been advising me (and maintain their own trackside).

I may opt for Zotz Racing to assist me trackside at Road Atlanta later this month assuming the car is track-ready by then. I have tools to remove tires, etc. and will invest in a good electronic pressure gauge and nitrogen delivery system.

I also plan to replace one of the racing fuel caps with a pump cap (pretty sure it can be done) and just go with 98 pump fuel at the track. That should help.

I am hoping for the HPDE I do, the 458 Challenge won’t be too much of a beast - we shall see. It’ll be a real learning experience nonetheless.

I did maintain the 458 spider trackside, but of course it wasn’t really much more than fuel, tire pressures, brake pad inspection and wheel torques.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    In the beginning I recommend you have track support at least 1 if not 2 experienced people providing support with the proper tools and software.

wthensler likes this.