My 458 is a lemon | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 458 is a lemon

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vm3, Jun 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Estrogene sure has alot to say and does't mind saying it.

However, that same estrogen keeps my wife away from my 430 as well :)

Long live Testosterone

2. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    Reading this and related comments I am reminded of Ford's latest Boss 302 solution: two keys, which in reality is just Ford's way of activating two different engine, suspension, etc., management programs.

So it seems to me in any "drive-by-software" era Ferrari, Ferrari can easily dial-in more of what some owners are seeking through a software update activated via the Manettino setting. All it takes is their will to do so. Perhaps the comments here will move them to consider doing so. Certainly the recently spanked McLaren will be going back to their software guys for some new code.

Mike

3. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Are you sure it is not an "APPLE" or an "Orange"

you----- DO---- know the 458 is schizophrenic.

"thats funny"

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    yes the 458 is a complete package no argumment there. My complaint is i only want a high performance sports car not a complete package so I can go shopping or McDonalds

No doubt it is the most user freindly car and personally I love the looks and sound. The only problem is it drives like a regular car and not very exciting.

Ferrari has gone away from manual shifters and now away from taut and spirited handling.
    Personally they are going the wrong way in my humble view.

Alot of us have alot of cars currently or many in our past doesn't make much difference each person has to decide on the 458.

I agree with you and hope he gets his problems fixed. my experience with Ferrari in this manner has been very good.

Regards

Lee

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Lee, I think you hit the nail exactly on the head.

There is no PERFECT car for everyone. Everyone has their own wants and desires. The things you say you don't want are the things I do.

This is why they will build the M version of this car. They won't announce it officially to keep potential buyers of the 458 from waiting for it.

What's fantastic about the exotic market is that its FAR MORE DIVERSE than any other segment. Go and look at your traditional family sedan. They are all alike! When I get into a rental car, I can't tell who made the darn thing. They all have the same equipment, the same colors, the same interior looks, and the same performance (boring).

Now, go into the exotic market. Now only do you get a couple of different cruiser Vettes, you can get a mind blowing version. You can get various version of Lambo's, Astons, Bentley's, and Mercs all with perfomance options. Hell you can even get an exotic Lexus now.

That's why the exotic market is so interesting. It's got something for everyone. And, if it doesn't, you can go back the classics and find it.

6. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    Some of the comparisons of 458 to Scuderia do not make much sense. The Scuderia was developed with a track focus in mind whereas the 458 is the replacement to the standard 430 which was perfectly streetable with comfort. Scuderia will be compared to the track oriented version of the 458 due in the next few years.

7. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The 430 scud is a more hardcore, track focused car. I think unless you wanted to track it or HAD to have the latest offering at the time, why spend a bit more money for it when the regular 430 is awesome, was available with a manual and had supple leather and carpets? :)
    I'm not surprised that sales of 430 remained good despite availability of the Scud.

I agree its not fair to compare 458 road car to the CS or Scud but rather to the regular F430

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    We are in agreement and a very diverse segment :)

My sadness is ferrari was the best in the exciting sports car segment now it not even in the same parking lot. Thank you for your post and the 458 is still one if the best if not the best looking cars on the road roday.

Lee

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting but I don't know if I agree. You have the most amazing collection of super cars to pick from all the time. Most of us can just chose one to buy and own. So, perhaps our "needs" are different than yours.

I do wish that Ferrari was a little quicker in their product development to provide a larger diversity to their cars earlier. That I believe would help the situation.

10. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    I think it may be a plus for Ferrari not to provide that. Have you seen what Porsche has done lately? 23 variants at last count of the 911, 20 of the other cars? I wonder how quality control is maintained. Talk about brand dilution.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I understand that also. But, I don't know why in the same year they can't have a base GT, a spider, and a high performance variation. So, that would be 3 variations (4 maybe if you can get the spider in high performance).

Actually --- I know why --- it's to get people to keep trading up. But, that also turns people off who want something "more" than what is being offered at the time.

12. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    Don't get me wrong I like the 458 .I go to Vegas often.The Scuderia would not be the car to drive there from San Diego .I would take the 458 in a minute.I took the Scuderia to Palm Springs it was 110 degrees and the air couldn't keep up.Vegas here I come!!!!!

13. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Please keep on open mind when it comes to innovation. You want Ferrari and others to compare products that might be a little different. This keeps the industry(s) heading in the right direction. It will only benifit the end user in the process.

For those that say "apples to Oranges" or "it is not fair to compare" I say why not. Comparisons are not meant to be boxed in or only for these models ONLY "how dare you my good man" ferrari is compared to all cars accross the board so why not with-in themselves as well. You just might end up with a outstanding product. A little bit of scud and road car that "harmonize" with each other would be great------------------ not a two personality schizophrenic car

The innovated analogy of progression has taken us were we are today.

The 458 is hard to beat at this present moment---------but it still can be "better"

Here is the url of some people that compare the scud to the 458 in ways that are understandable and also have a few things about the weight of the 458.

http://www.asphalte.ch/Auto/Ferrari_458/Ferrari_458_en_05.html

14. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    #64 vm3, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    Even compared to my regular 430, my 458 is boring on the street. Now isn't this comparing apple to apple?

At its third track day yesterday, my 458 again leaked brake fluid (even after the calipers were replaced and the new valves additionally sealed). It used up the rear pads (down to 3 mm) after only a total of 8 sessions, which is not even two full track days. Worse, the rear calipers are completely discolored, changing from silver to a greenish yellow color. I had to cut short my track day for the third time. As it is, my 458 cannot be tracked again unless these issues are solved. I am completely frustrated.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Good luck dealing with FNA. Please let us know how it turns out. I suspect badly.

Dale

16. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    #66 scuderia09, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    #67 KINGMONKEY, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Jack I agree with you!

As one poster said copare to other cars. Tghe ZR! handles at least as well is much faster and 1/3 the cost.

I think the 458 is not a lemon by disign. Mine has been perfect. If I had the problems the op had I would call it a lemon.

lee

19. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Great looking car.

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sounds like these problems are fixable. Ferrari doesn't make the brake system. Brembo does.
    If they are leaking, then replace the seals, etc. That should solve the big problem.

The windsheild wiper leak- a minor glitch should also be fixble.

A Lemon. No!

But the owner was dissapointed. He probably expected that his 458 should be perfect and the fastest and the best.

Oh well this is one part of the dream/legend of Ferrari which owners have to confront-real life happens to Ferrari too.

21. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    A new 458 and the calipers are leaking and you just say just change the seals and you think everything will be ok you don,t have to deal with this stuff on a new car weather it Brembo or Ferrari make the calipers this shouldn,t happan it a lemon a 458 is a pure lemon never mind it catching on fire and etc.

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #73 MalibuGuy, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    His car didn't catch on fire. That problem was with the adhesive used to attach the heat sheilds. Ferrari replaced the burnt cars and changed adhesives.

Wait a sec about the brakes. Is there a recall for all 458's or is this just one car with a problem with one caliper/seals?

I thought it is just this car with the brake leak.

If the brake problem existed but wasn't detected at the factory shakedown, then you are right Ferrari was negligent. But sounds like like his dealer didn't diagnose the problem correctly because the second caliper also leaks. Very strange.

Would like to find out the true problem.

23. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Not only do the right calipers leak, the rear calipers turned a greenish color from silver after the second track day. I can't imagine what the fix could be.

24. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    That sounds like too much heat, which is kind of weird since most of your brake bias should be up front. I wonder if your brake system is carrying too much pressure and this is what is causing the seals to be blown. I find it very unlikely that 2 different calipers had faulty seals and that it is more likely your brake booster. It can be one of those fluke things that one little kink, clog, air bubble will cause your entire brake system to act weird. Have they flushed your entire system yet and checked brake bias?