My 458 is a lemon | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My 458 is a lemon

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vm3, Jun 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    For what's it worth I haven't had a single problem i 6 months.

2. italia458

italia458 Karting

Aug 28, 2011
    thanks for the answer

3. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    I started out pretty critical of Ferrari in terms of value, corporate arrogance, performance, etc. Also, racing heritage adds near zero to street driving experience. Reading these threads and considering the 458's competition, I have no reservations about buying one.

4. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    the way Ferrari is treating client complains will basically one day get back to them. I really don't care how good the car is if there is no good relationship between manufacturer and customer, that's where the manufacturer suffers.

I do believe that personal relationship is one of the major keys for a company's success, without it, its inevitable, sooner or later, the company will pay. Remember, even people say that the 458 is better than this or that and the fact that competition is starting to rise, Ferrari better put itself another notch not product wise but relationship wise.

5. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    My 430 was a total Lemon. Many of you remember my plight with that car. It was the worst experience I have ever had with a car. Out of two years and 25,000 miles, it spent a whopping 75 days in the repair shop, had the engined replaced at 6,000 miles, and had every imaginable issue a car could have. LEMON, LEMON, LEMON!

How could I ever dream of owning another Ferrari? How could I ever trust them again? How could I give another dime to a Marque that drained hundreds of thousands of dollars from me?

Simple Answer: I can't wait to get my next one.

My Porsche TT and Panamera are wonderful cars, but boring, boring, boring compared to my 430.......They are NOT by any means trouble free either. My Panamera just got out of the shop today after 2 weeks and immediately had the same issue crop up which means it goes back to the shop tomorrow. A Chassis Failure (whatever that means).

Ferrari gets away with it because they make the most exciting, gorgeous, and FUN to drive machines in the world. I can't WAIT to get back in one! I'll pay my money, take my chances, and have my eyes wide open to what I'm getting into.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss my 430. Now that my life is back in order it's time to go shopping!

Ape

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #106 TheMayor, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car is such a lemon! Look, I have to fill it with gas to keep it running! :)

Also, I've discovered that the more aggressively I drive it, the more often it needs to return to the gas station.

I'm not sure how Ferrari could make such a piece of junk! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    If that's a Lemon then I need to get into the citrus end of agriculture!

That's simply stunning Bob.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You have to make it to Vegas and take it for a spin! But, I warn you. You'll order one the next day!

9. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    The car looks fantastic! Very jealous.

I just hope you drive it often, I don't like Ferraris that sit in a garage!

10. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    #110 calitalia, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Buying a car is like buying an iPhone, there are good ones and bad ones. It's a luck of the draw. I would focus on the dealer owner relationship as long as they stand behind the warranty claims and actively help.

Trust me, if you think Ferraris are bad, try Gallardos for the e gears. In fact, Lexus had many issues too and my Mercedes also had some. Sometimes it's more luck than science. I had had problem free cars and then horrible cars. We all get over them. However, we do expect a certain quality assurance with such insane prices. Touch wood, so far, it doesn't seem like chatters on here have many issues on 458s. Try the MP4-12c for a lemon and they brand it McLemon. Imagine driving the car and then always waiting for the next IRIS software update. Worst over here, forever waiting for the price list and demo. Some vehicles don't even allow the owners to take owernship. Perhaps they keep you waiting till the next model comes. The last one was super, the next one is always better. At least it looks good stationery...

11. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Other than the caliper leak, I think the rest of the issues are just related to track use. Don't forget, these cars are not really designed as race cars. The more you track, and the harder you track, the more you should expect to need to maintain the car.

"maintain" for a track car is a lot different than for a street car. Once you start going fast on track (and, given your brake pad wear, it sounds like you are), you can expect to need dedicated track pads, better brake fluid, etc. The discoloration of your calipers sounds heat related, you may need to look into cooling ducts.

I started down the path of a street/track car. Now, 100 track days into it, I have a dedicated street car (my F430) and a dedicated track car (Porsche 968 race build). The funny thing about that is I started out with a Porsche GT3, which is clearly marketed as a dual use car. What I found was that dual use meant maybe 5 or so moderate pace track days a year, at 40 hard days a season, the car could not take it.

BTW, be aware that track use most likely is not covered by the standard warranty.....

Cheers,

Ron

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #112 leead1, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    No! I own many exotic , super and classic cars and I am no my third ferrari. The 458 has less maintanace needs than past models. I loved my 460 , 430 and now my 458.

They are good cars. My only grip is they cannot be bought with a manual transmission. I must admit the 7 speed dpk transmission is very fast and smooth. I just like a manual better.

My other comment is the other F cars in their day had taut and special handling. In my opinion the 458 handles like a regular car, nothing special. I find this sad. The cars appearance is awesome as is the exhaust note.

I must admit I like my ZR1 better than the 458. It handles as well, not better but as well and is alot faster. The heads up display is a great feature. The 2008 and newer corvettes handle much better with good road feel and the shifter tacit feel is great with only Porsche better by a alittle.

I do believe the exterior design is dated. The engine technology is pure 1920's but it is refined so much I cannot tell when driving it.

Buy a vette it is alot cheaper also.

Lee

By

13. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    *GASP!* *CHOKE!* *COUGH!* *COUGH!*

Lee! What are you saying! Bite your tongue until it bleeds and then wash out your mouth with soap!

LOL :)

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I know it makes me sad. At least most people still aspire to own a Ferrari while not knowing the 2008 or newer vette they are driving is a better car :)

Lee

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #115 TheMayor, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    I think it's cool Lee. No car is perfect for everyone. I've never felt comfortable in any Vette but I can certainly see the attraction.

What makes great car enthusiasts is that they can appreciate different cars for what they are without pre-conceived notions. Heaven knows the classics we love today weren't always so loved or without their problems.

BTW: I saw an Ariel Atom on the street in Santa Monica yesterday. That car is so cool but it just looks ridiculous in city traffic. It looked just plain dumb sitting their waiting for the light to change so it could move another 30 feet.

Sometimes the true value of a car is not the car itself but how it works and looks in it's real environment.

16. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I completely echo that view. How else can one quantify the "experience" of driving a Ferrari or any car for that matter. The car being experienced in it's "Real Environment" is the key.

The 458 to me is the most exciting street car every made. It's beauty grows on me daily. Especially when I see my neighbor's two tone silver 458 parked in front of my building.

No other car excites me that much. I know once I drive one my emotions will take over and I'll NEED one.....

17. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
  18. Cav

Cav Karting

Feb 27, 2014
    New Zealand
    Wow. You raised the dead!