My 488 is just too damn fast.. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

My 488 is just too damn fast..

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SlickMurphy, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Because you remember what Ferrari has forgotten

Shamile likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Most would say that newer Ferraris are even more enjoyable.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But less interesting and unique

Afonsolaw likes this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    How so?

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The new cars are just too digital and too artificial for me. It's too fake. They seem designed by computers and not humans. They use software tricks to make the gearbox more "alive", the exhaust note is manipulated, but the biggest problem is they can't be used aggressively on city streets without being arrested.

If "fun" is going fast, then the new cars are great for that. But for driving experience, they don't measure up.

pcht5, Afonsolaw and Shamile like this.
  6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Exactly!

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Newer Ferraris are too big and too much like normal cars. I still am amazed every time I see a 308/328 at how small and so different from ordinary cars they are. The 488 is almost 4” taller than a 308, that’s a huge difference. I’ve bought two 355s even though I could have bought a 360 in the same price range just because the 355 is smaller and feels less ordinary. The 355 is the sweet spot for me because it is still a small car yet has good a/c, something that is necessary in Houston.

My typical drive in my 355 is on streets with 30-45 mph speed limits with occasional highway jaunts. My most typical route is on a 45 mph road with several tunnels that’s very close to my house. After warmimg up I can blast through those tunnels and listen to the capristo while rowing my own gears. I can get to redline in 2-3 gears without being over the speed limit for more than a few seconds. More HP would be an inconvenience. If I wanted a really fast car I’d get a Tesla.

Shamile likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it would be very easy to nod yes to this, but, I think you have to consider how these cars compare to the cars out at the time. I think Ferraris today are just as unique and interesting and fun relative to the other cars of today.

However, you can say cars in general have become more computerized. That's true and that is the trend and I don't think that will change, it will likely keep going.

I don't think you can drive a 355 aggressively on city streets and avoid attention for too long. I actually think they have done a fantastic job with the modern cars- they give you track sensations on the street. It is a bit forced, but its also better than having to drive insanely hard around corners. I think Ferrari has done a great job staying relevant for the times. But it is different and if you prefer the more "honest" way of the 355, there's really no arguing it. I just think it needs some context.

Makuono and F140C like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Love my Tesla and my 458 Spider...I find both perfect for street driving. 458 is all drama at legal speeds.
    488 and 720 are not.

Oz-ATL likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You keep iterating the phrase "city streets". These are not town cars though, they are sports cars. The new ones are much more exciting in terms of speed and responsiveness. At any rate, even a 300 HP 348 is way too quick for the road if you value your license. It is also an under/over-steering mess, as are most old cars.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    So your definition of special is small? Try a Smart then.
    Also 45 mph is a joke when we are talking sportscars.
    Those Teslas are only good up to 100 mph. After that they are toast!!!

stavura, Afonsolaw and Viperjoe like this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    More like 70pmh then my tesla is toast compared to a 400hp ICE. But as noted, thats city driving and speeds, so it wins EVRY time, EVERY day and it’s super fun!

Cheers.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why do I keep saying "city streets"?

Because that's where 99.999999999% of miles on Ferrari's are driven

If you want a track car, get an Ariel atom or any number of better and cheaper vehicles to drive fast around a track.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    So you stop accelerating at 70 even if you have a 1 mile long straight ahead of you, copper-free? That's funny...

15. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, it is. I like small cars. In general they are a lot more fun than large cars.

I almost never go over 100, when I was in my 20s I did. I do not track my cars.

Cars are not all about speed. If they were everyone would drive Corvettes and Teslas. Modern cars are so fast now that speed just doesn’t matter as much as it used to. You can get station wagons that do 0-60 in well under 4 seconds now.

Shamile likes this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Aside from getting on a freeway, tell me where in any city you can legally drive 70 MPH. Most city streets are 40-45.

Then again, in LA it might as well be 5.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Those Ariels are totally unusable on the road and at the end of the day they are not quicker than a supercar on the track. You should try a mountain road (you call them canyon roads I reckon), or even an empty motorway-highway. A supercar is not suited for city driving. It's bad both for the car and your nerves as well.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    0-60 is meaningless as it's traction limited. Perhaps it's a Europe vs US thing but over here speed starts after 100 mph. Not always legal or easy but you can do it in many places.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A Lamborghini Countach in the 70's was considered "a super car" with all of 370 HP.

The world has gone power hungry for very little benefit to the end user.

waterking and Ash Patel like this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Evolution mate, evolution.

F140C, Napoli and Viperjoe like this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Not making sense.
    Enjoy your cars.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Heavier, bigger, softer, less mechanical...

That's de-evolution.

Finlander likes this.
  23. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    That's the key. Expectations change, the world reacts and moves on to stay relevant. Some may want to fondly remember the past, but they cannot expect manufacturers to please them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Actually still is evolution in that they are better adapted to their environment: overweight dim-witted slobs that are more interested in McDonalds and texting than driving. :)

Clay512TR likes this.
  25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Cheers, you too!
    What doesn't make sense though?