My complaints for Porsche... | FerrariChat

My complaints for Porsche...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by MD355, Nov 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I've been craving for Porsche cars since the 1980s...
    It was always Ferrari & Porsche in my dreams...
    Whether its was the F40 vs 959 , the 512 TR vs 964 turbo , the 355 GTS vs 993 turbo , etc etc
    I always loved both companies...

Since the introduction of the 996 , everything changed...
    First it was the ugly styling and cheap quality that made Porsche no longer desirable...
    Next was the introduction of the Cayenne, which although high performing, was ugly as hell...
    An then came the mass production of Porsche cars with so many different models and versions that it was no longer considered as a sports car maker, rather a luxury car maker...

Among the cars introduced the 997 (all versions) were great (looks and quality improved) with great special models like the Carrera GT and the 918...

And now we come to the current line-up of the 991 which makes no sense to me...
    The basic 991 is turbocharged, the 991 S is also turbocharged and the 991 turbo, guess what ? Also turbo !!!

Add to that all the possible model combinations with 2wd and 4wd and you get a very confusing line-up...

I understand that turbocharging was the way to go, but come on, what do you call the 991 turbo ??
    -Porsche 991 turbo x 2 (turbo squared) LOL

I still miss the days when Porsche 911 were tiny, packed serious power in a small package and were built to race on Sunday and go to work on Monday... Plus they were gorgeous, well built and required serious driving skills to go fast... Plus the model line was simple : Carrera 2 / 4 in Coupe / Cabrio body , plus the legendary Turbo and race-track RS.... A far cry from today's endless and meaningless model combinations...

Miss the 993 days when Porsche cars were truly unique and premium...

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Get a 997.2S. In my biased opinion, the perfect combo of modern safety and tech, without overdoing the latter as the 991+ generations have IMO. NA too. Prices approaching attractive levels given the performance they deliver. Driven mine 35K miles in 3.5 years and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it...T

Island Time likes this.
  3. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I already own a 993 C2 with manual gearbox... And my other car is a Ferrari 360 Modena manual (don't forget this is Ferrarichat)...
    Plus my daily driver is SL 55 AMG...
    So I am pretty set with car for now...
    However, your advice is very good, even though I crave for 997 turbo manual (generation 1) or even regular 997 S manual (generation 1, I believe cleaner design)

Island Time likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Or just do what I did buy one take it apart and rebuild it (all in I am at 260K now a bargain since it is 1 of1), and make your own model designation. I call mine a 997S SC.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pics?
    T

6. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    I feel (part of) your pain.

Porsche wandering off into SUVs, sedans, etc doesn't really bother me because their success in those spaces has allowed them to continue evolving the 911 and other "fun cars". And they have to slap turbos onto just about everything in order to meet federal mpg mandates across a manufacturer's entire lineup. The endless number of variants is somewhat nauseating yet somehow Porsche does manage to make them all seem different. I get all that and slightly disagree with you here.

I TOTALLY agree with your last couple of statements about what you miss. I'm fortunate to have two 993 turbos and a Carrera gt and nothing has interested me since the 993 (last of the air cooled cars) ended production. And I mean nothing. I've driven just about every one after the 993 and they just don't have the same "soul" that the air cooled cars did. Sure, they're faster and have more gizmos but for me, none can match the connection, feel and driving satisfaction my cars give me vs. anything newer.

I am pissed, however, that they're pulling out of LMP1 in favor of Formula E because endurance racing is their heritage and what made them what they are today. Don't know if I'll ever get over that.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have put up pictures of it over the years, I never stop coming up with new things to do to it, which is probably why( that and the fact it needs the right conditions to be driven safely) Image Unavailable, Please Login it only has 17K miles after 12 years

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  10. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State

I like some of the new cars but I'm with you guys...I prefer the older, smaller, lighter, more analogue stuff.

But its not just Porsche. Everyone, including Ferrari, have to move toward turbos. And the additional regulations each year makes cars bigger and heavier. For these reasons I hate the direction the sports car industry is going as a whole.

Dont even get me started on electric.....

jjmalez likes this.
  11. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't like the fact that the 991's changed the driver's position. the window sill was raised and the roofline lowered. That makes the car feel smaller (and less comfortable) than every P car before it. It's difficult to believe that for 45 years....one could sit in any year Porsche...and blind folded....not be able to tell what year Porsche it was. All that changed in 2012.

It bothered me so much...that after driving a new 991....I said to myself...."Heck...for this money....I can buy anything I want". And that's what I did. Bought a '94 964 factory wide body....still has the old school feel with daily driving features (like usable A/C) Haven't looked back.

jjmalez likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The question should be what didn't I do to it. It only has about 40% of the original parts, those panels they are all carbon fiber the chassis was rebuilt piece by piece most of the pars are one of one I designed myself. It weighs around 2600lbs (with me in it) pushing 620hp no traction controls. It has blown up two transmissions (they are cheap crap made in Japan), and other things. The seats came from a GT3, the steering wheel racing shift system and the gearshift knob were over 5K. Things add up quickly, and I am still working on ways to make it better, though I must admit as I get older it does become harder to handle.

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the internet featured an article "worst cars made and to avoid" they included the Ferrari 308 thru 3xx series entry level cars as well as cars from many other manufacturers... definitely not compliamentary about the cars in their list

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    nostalgia is nice about older Porsche models and well earned,the current crop of 991 big "big block" normally aspirated 3.8 and 4.0 do a fine job of running with or outperforming the iconic older Porsche models... just compare the published data... the performance data also beats many of the iconic muscle cars... while presenting great noises while doing it.. all from models available in normal production, those dissing this series are overlooking a lot of what makes the brand

15. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I agree with a lot of what the OP says.... but... If you need a new reliable daily driver in my opinion there’s nothing better than Porsche. All new cars suck to a certain extent. They’re all automatics, turbos, ev or hybrid. Porsche is the best of the horrible current crop of automobiles though. I’ve resigned myself to trying to find the best new daily drivers I can and always having an older car for style and fun, the new ones just don’t have it.

16. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have to disagree with most of you guys - especially those who (apparently) have never even owned (or driven?) a Porsche. You're living in arguably the best time ever for car fans. You want expensive, old, slow, noisy, smelly, weird handling, without any safety features then go buy vintage. I drove a 1985 911 a year or so ago and couldn't have been less impressed. The gear box felt just like my dad's 1966 Chevy pickup and the power felt like the last Mazda 3 I rented. It did look great though. I immediately went directly to a manual 991.2 S and thought, THAT'S what a car should feel like. It will destroy the legendary 959, and have a 4 year warranty. I have yet to meet anybody who has spent anytime behind the wheel of a 991 and not been impressed.

But, of course, my opinion only matters to me, I just dont know of any car manufacturer that is better at building great drivers across their entire line like Porsche. Sports cars, track cars, sedans, SUVs, CUVs. There are no duds.

17. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Sorry you think the 996 Turbo is ugly and cheap. To each his own. I happen to love my 03 996 Turbo. It has a sexy ass and hauls it well. I disagree I also agree that the old cars are smelly and old. Like my old Ferrari. My BMW can beat it in comfort and style. It’s still a Ferrari. I drive the 911 a lot more. The power the style it’s a sexy car.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sounds like you need a Ruf if you want the best of both worlds.

The Targa Florio is gorgeous imo. It has a manual, high performance, looks to die for. I don't know the reliability of these things, but I'd expect it to not be as good as a standard Pcar and a heck of a lot more expensive to operate.

I do agree with you the standard 996 is the least beautiful of the 911s when it comes to the Carrera, but the 996 TT and GT2 imo are the last of the good looking TT and GT2 cars. The proportions started to look really off after that gen for those two models with the base Carrera and GT3 somehow looking good...maybe it's the bumpers that make them look odd? Not sure...

19. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Actually I have a 996 Turbo as well, an absolutely awesome car. It is not vintage, therefore not smelly... actually still has the new car smell as it only has 29K miles. All but Porsche fans think it is brand new. It also seems to have a very broad appeal as three of my friends, none of whom have ever owned a Porsche, have claimed dibs on it should I ever sell.

peterp likes this.
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think mondial83 was referring to the op's post at the top where the op said the 996 was ugly and cheap. I thought he was referring to you at first since his post was right after yours but I read the first post again and it makes more sense that way.

If you already knew and I'm just repeating stuff my bad...

21. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the clarification but I'm good, Happy Holidays everyone!

And I almost completely disagree with the OP's post. It sounds like my neighbor - except he actually owns a Porsche. He has a beautiful 993 coupe... that I've only seen out of his garage once in three years. Air-cooled only for him, but I guess the disadvantage of of that platform do not become apparant to him while stored in the garage.

22. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Yes I was referring to the OPs post. Sorry I should’ve quoted it.

23. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I agree with you 100%. I was satisfied with the 997 already until I drove the 991.2. The fit and finish quality is such a huge improvement over the 997 and just drives so much better. I just can't imagine yet how Porsche will raise the bar again with the upcoming 992.

And heck, even the Macan drives so well for an SUV even if it's a base Porsche and shares its platform/engines with VW/Audi.

Going back to the 991, even if the CS has 420hp "only" on paper, Porsche somehow manages to produce power very efficiently.

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have always been a Porsche fan, I have owned at least one for the last 35+ years. My girlfriend loves her 718 Cayman S (even if she never uses the paddles), and I like the look of the 991 and the 718, (and the levels of comfort now offered are amazing), I just do not like the almost perfectness about them. I had 2 996tt (both converted to RWD and tuned), and when I was through with them they were fun, I know where one is now (still running in RWD), I'm glad the new owner is enjoying it. I expect perfectness in a car like a S class, or a luxury SUV, but I like quirky and not so perfect in my sports cars, that is why I spent so much making my Porsche so in-perfect, and why I have a 4C and an Evora 400, and a 1999 F1 360. I have been told (many times) my sports are like me, they might be right.