My Ferrari Mondial Coupe project ... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Ferrari Mondial Coupe project ...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by effer, Sep 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Although a fine car (see posts #17 & 28) Dave's is Nero Metallico (Black Metallic) and I want Nero. There's a huge difference.

2. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #52 randyleepublic, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    Wade, have you ever seen a Mondial in Nero Metallizzato (Ferrari's translation)?

Not a picture, the real thing?

It is at least a hundred times better looking than the Nero, IMNSHO.

Regards,

Randy

P. S. You are telling me that there is a t coupe in Nero Metallizzato for sale!? Excuse me while I go look at the offering and then curse the day I was born.

P.P.S. Oh, it's not a t - Whew!

PPPS I stand firmly behind my claim that for the owner mechanic the t is the far superior choice. With no prior experience, I pulled my clutch last night in under 2 hours.

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Well Randy I might have gotten my translation a bit off lol

I was referring to a black metallic car and have seen Davem's in person. I have also seen, in person, two 308s and two 328s in Nero Met as well. Granted, they are worth having but I'll take mine in black. Just black, thank you. If the price were right I might consider another color (no red or yellow) only to have it painted... yep, black.

4. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Well, either Ferrari has it wrong, or it is some sort of idiomatic disconnect, since metallico does mean metallic and metallizzato means metalized. I keep meaning to ask my friend who was born in Italy about this.

As for your preference, I understand - no accounting for taste :D. Still, you haven't actually seen a Mondial in the color. You might be surprised - I haven't seen the smaller cars in the color so I can't say, but certainly they are of a different stylistic nature, so there is at least a slim chance. My car is one that has not been babied and although there is nothing dramatically deteriorated in it's condition, it is definitely no garage queen. However, despite it's flaws, I think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made, and I get compliments all the time.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your search!! One favor: please don't change any of the car's colors. Be patient and the one you are looking for will come along. If I had been more patient, I could have gotten a red coupe, and saved at least $7000.

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    randyleepublic

post a pic of your buggy...

6. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #56 randyleepublic, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's one posted by the PO in the ad. It's an OK shot, but nothing really stunning. I have been too busy with refurbishing the car to take some better pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Cool, but can you get it back in? :)

Just kidding, but how about starting a thread on the clutch rebuild. I would love to see pictures.

Dave

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The engine and rear subframe are easily removed on the Mondial 3.2 as well.

Here are some good pictures:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~keller/cars/Repair.html

The only difference is that you do not HAVE to take the rear subframe out to do a major service, as you do on the Mondial T. As for the belt service, Algar says it is easy enough to do with the engine in on the Mondial 3.2, that a true engine out is superfluous. Nonetheless, on my Mondial 3.2, the mechanics did a full blown engine out, but they also did a full engine detailing while they were at it. As for clutch replacement, I have been told it is apparently very easy on the Mondial 3.2 because you can access the clutch through the wheel well and it is a relatively inexpensive job. I can't speak for the Mondial T, because I don't have one, but the Mondial 3.2 is probably among the most user friendly and cost effective Ferrari's to own and service. It is also very reliable by Ferrari standards (something that is often lost on the pundits) At least this is what I have gleaned from owners, research, and my own noodling around with my own car.

9. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Not rebuilding, just fixing the flywheel. Ferrari really effed that one up, but the fix is simple: change your triple seals (parts: $14, labor: 1 hour with the engine already out) with every major, and this issue goes away. There are plenty of great clutch and flywheel pictorials. I am however going to put out a short writeup on the triple seal part of the job as I don't think anyone did a very good job of explaining it.

10. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I am not trying to take away from the serviceability of the 3.2, I am merely stating that the t is the most user friendly car I have ever seen for the owner-mechanic. So far I have done all my own work. Try troubleshooting a CIS system as an amateur...

I do agree that if you are going to have the work done, the t will be more expensive.

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your right. The t is a truly serviceable car. I have run across two or three things that required special tools, but in general its a very user friendly machine that offers so much to its owner.

858 total t coupe production world wide (42 US delivered) is a real cool number too. I spent a few hours just buffing on mine tonight just to thank it for finding me.

12. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    If the Mondial T is mechanic-friendly, can the same be said for the 348, or does the different body-style pose other challenges for the home mechanic?

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    From what I've read in the 348/355 forum I'd say yes. It's loaded with how-tos and DIY's, dive in and you won't come out for weeks :)

Here's a start http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215202

14. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Thanks for the link. I always enjoy driving a car even more after getting a chance to work on it.

15. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    What he said. As a t owner I have to confess that I spend more time in the 348 forum than the Mondi one. The 348 guys have this "Brotherhood" thing going, and it's a lot related to all of us, (I count myself as an honorary member), working on our cars - sharing how-tos and parts sources. We wouldn't be so involved that way if it wasn't a lot of fun, and saves vast amounts of money over having it done by a pro.

16. chuckou

chuckou Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Does any one out there know who has large collection of Mondial T parts?? I need to find a center console plate. Thanks for help.

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #67 hank sound, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
    There are ther usual helpful suspects but I'd start by calling Daniel @ RICAMBI. If he doesn't have it, he will absolutely try to help you find it.

Cheers, & good luck,

Hank

18. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    He has them, but the price is quite high - $950. I refurbished my upper plate - the smaller one with the trunk switches and etc. Also some folks are making them out of aluminum and plexiglass. You are talking about the larger one with the heater controls? Daniel's catalog shows the smaller one for $141 which is quite a bargain I guess.

19. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #69 effer, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

What do you think about this one? ( the car isn't for sell but just to show you a nice black Mondial coupe )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That car is unbelievable.

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You guys are hurtin' me!

22. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Finally I made my decision today.

I was hesitating between two red tan Mondial coupe,

one 3,2 circa 1987 Euro version

and a T circa 1989 USA version ( of nYJetsfan which you can find in Ferrariads ).

During this interesting searching process I discovered that I prefer the 3,2 version mainly due to aesthetical considerations. I wanted a more retro look, giving me the impression that I am riding an antique beauty!

Here is the list that shows how I decided between the 3,2 and the T:

Pro 3,2

Euro type ( front bumper, side markers, engine power and exhaust system, metric speedometer ... ),
    bigger and more stylized side air scoops,
    retro look of metal oval door handles,
    bigger trunk!?!,
    interior cockpit design ( which includes: steering wheel ( even though it will be changed for a wooden Nardi Classico! ), restangular gauge cluster, central console ( which is not connected to the dash giving thus a desired retro aspect ), seat designs ( including this so nice touch for the front ones: theirs metal hinges )),

lower maintenance costs ( but this wasn't a real factor, I can afford to maintain a T ),
    easier maintenance,
    simpler mecanic,
    performance numbers almost on par with T,
    lighter weight.

Pro T

Last Mondial evolution,
    348 engine
    nicer pop up front lights ( slimer rectangular shape; this is a retro aspect which I don't like on pre T models ),
    sophisticated shape and matched color of door handles,
    lower COG,
    absolute performance,
    bigger upgrading potential.

So I picked the 3,2. It was indeed a very tough decision but in such close calls it is good to listen to your deep feelings and going that way I felt that my heart was more pumping near a 3,2. This car is such an irresistible mix of old fashion and modernism all wrapped up in a classy timeless design ( especially when you put nice 18 inches wheels, lower suspension a bit and you color match some dull black painted parts of car ... ).

I'm leaning toward putting HRE 547 18 inches wheels.

Front: 225 40 18 on 8 X 18 rims
    Rear: 245 40 18 on 9 X 18 rims

Lowering suspension between three quarter of an inch to one inch.

Full body repaint ( every body parts of car will match; I have to say that the actual paint finish of car isn't perfect: which was kind of desirable considering what I want to do and of course considering some selling price reduction ).

Putting a Nardi Classico steering wheel.

Story to be continued ...

23. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #73 effer, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008

Easy to understand why when you take a look at the previous black beauty picture!

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    you should go with 19 inch HRE...saw one recently and he had 19 front 20 rear

25. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Do you know what are exact specs of wheels and tyres?

As I wrote before I don't want to worry trying to fit 10 X 18 + at rear, I must be able to push the car and being sure there will be no rubbing.

Interesting to put different wheel diameter sizes between front and rear, à la NSX, but won't it disrupt the car's balance and handling since it wasn't design that way?

Do you have any pics of this car?