458 - My first Ferrari: 2012 458 Spider - Rosso Corsa | FerrariChat

458 My first Ferrari: 2012 458 Spider - Rosso Corsa

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jc1, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    #1 jc1, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    I have always dreamed about owning a red/ tan Ferrari convertible. I grew up with the classic "Justification for Higher Education" poster on my wall. I am thankful and lucky to say that age 34 I was fortunate to be in a position to purchase my first exotic.

I started my search for the right car in early 2021. I considered the F430 and 458. It had to be a convertible and it had to be red. I also briefly considered a "less flashy" 992 911 Turbo but quickly reconsidered after my first test drive in the 458 at Ferrari of San Diego. My goal was to get one with under 10k miles. Must have options were the diamond cut wheels and carbon steering wheel. My wife also wanted the full electric seats because she has a borderline unhealthy obsession with heated seats.

Although I did not end up purchasing something from @Yellow Compass, Mike was a huge help and great to work with. Unfortunately I just don't think he had someone selling exactly what I was looking for at the time. 2021 has been a wild market. I would highly recommend Mike to anyone looking to purchase a Ferrari.

A few months into my search, I saw a car pop up at a Porsche dealer across the country in DC. It was a 13 458 spider. Rosso Corsa, 16k miles, carbon wheel, diamond wheels and heated seats and some other options ($320k MSRP). I put down a deposit immediately and booked a flight that weekend. The car looked great and drove perfect. I proceeded with all the paperwork but the deal was contingent on sending the car to Ferrari of Washington for the Power Warranty inspection. It took a little convincing, but Porsche ultimately agreed. Long story short, I'm glad I did because within 2 hours of the inspection James called me to let me know the car had a leaky gearbox and it was going to be a pretty costly repair. I decided to pass on the car.

I was getting discouraged because prices were up, and the options were limited. I started considering the 992 Turbo again. A couple weeks after the DC car fell through, I bumped my "wanted" ad here on FC. Come to find out it was absolutely perfect timing. I received a private messaged shortly after from someone who had just happened to log in because he was considering selling his 458 with 4600 miles and he saw my post at the very top of FC. The user had almost no post history so I was a little skeptical at first, but after a few PMs we decided to FaceTime so I could see the car. His story checked out and it was the car of my dreams. Red, tan, carbon wheel, diamond wheels, almost every carbon fiber option imaginable. The MSRP on the car was a whopping $363k, and that was before the diamond wheels and carbon fiber door panels. Probably one of the highest stickers on a 458 ever.

I flew to check out the car and it was in excellent shape and drove great. I wanted it to work out so bad that I considered skipping the inspection to make sure I didn't lose the car. But after my first failed inspection, I knew I needed to make sure this one checked out under the hood. I explained my reasoning to the seller and he was understanding and accommodating. We sent it from Arkansas to Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas, where Chris Williams was incredible. He helped facilitate the inspection, service and sale. I added 1 year of factory Power Warranty for peace of mind. A couple days later Plycar picked it up and it was to San Diego within about 36 hours.

I've had the car for a couple months now and it's a dream. I love the timeless design, agile handling and the sound of the naturally aspirated V8 right behind my ears. The car is surprisingly comfortable and practical enough for some trips up and down the California coast with my wife. I'll plan to update this thread as time goes on with my experiences and plenty of photos!

You can also follow along on my instagram here.

SIB, BCHOW, AD211 and 5 others like this.
  2. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    blkdiablo33, BCHOW, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  3. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Very well optioned…congrats

5. Drizz

Drizz Rookie

Aug 28, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Awesome! Congrats.

6. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
  7. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Amazing! Congratulations, enjoy it!

8. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Congratulations I’ve had mine since Oct 2020 and I love it more everyday. Enjoy!

9. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Enjoy and congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Enjoy, you are part of the Ferrari family now, its a great place to be...

jc1 likes this.
  12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful…

13. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I am an original owner of my red/tan 2013 458 spider.
    Guys like you make me realize I am not so crazy keeping it these past going on 9 years.
    Best of luck.
    BTW: lubricate the rubber and the mechanical mechanism. You will enjoy a squeak free ride!!
    Best
    Randy

jc1 and rob5819 like this.
  14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Enjoy. Congrats on being able to on so early in life. I just got my first one two years ago at 52. My dream car, and will never sell it. 2007 F430 spider

Wish you Many miles of smiles

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jc1 likes this.
  15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s phenomenal. Great story. Dream come true. Bravo. Congrats on an amazing example! That’s the best example I have seen for sale in quite some time.

jc1 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. Pure745

Pure745 Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Beautiful car! Congrats!

I am in Southern California as well and have been looking at a few CPO 458 Italias. During your due diligence, did is it necessary for a PPI on a CPO car? If I end up getting mine in the next few months, would love to meet up.

18. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I wouldn’t purchase without PPI after my experience with the first 458 that I posted about above. It’s just not worth the risk. Keep me posted, would love to meet up in the future.

19. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
  20. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    jc1 likes this.
  21. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Stunningly gorgeous car!

jc1 likes this.
  22. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Awesome… Welcome to the Ferrari Family…

Ray

jc1 likes this.
  23. blkdiablo33