My First Ferrari...2012 FF! | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari...2012 FF!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Darkshear, May 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    #1 Darkshear, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Hello everyone! Happy to have my first post here on the forums report that I am now an F car owner!

Back in November I decided that my next car would be the FF as I have always had a love affair with the car. I'm 38 years old and coming from a 2014 BMW M5. I'm not the average enthusiast I think as I didn't gravitate towards the 458, 599, etc. I tend to like 4 door cars, and the FF is my first without. But the attraction was the unique body design and the practicality of the car. Ever since it was announced in 2011, the FF has been one of my favorite cars out there.

Long story short, I searched for 6 months and never found the right car for me. Through some incredible circumstances and the help of word-of-mouth, I ended up finding a car that was only 15 minutes from my home! I was fully prepared to fly anywhere in the continental US and secure a car, so I feel incredibly fortunate to have been given this opportunity.

I'm in love with the car, folks. It's everything I ever thought it could be. Coming from a German sports sedan like the M5, there are some very clear build differences between the brands so there is some adjustment on my part needed but I am not disappointed in the least.

I believe the value the FF brings right now is unbeatable. I am, at the moment, running without maintenance or warranty. I'm a touch uncomfortable with this, but the forums here have given me some idea what to expect for cost of ownership on this car, and I believe I'm prepared for it. I am not a wealthy person by most measures, but I do manage the money I do have fairly well in an effort to support my passion for cars.

What an incredible machine! I'm delighted and sincerely floating on cloud 9. I plan on driving the car about 30% of my annual mileage (I have a little Lexus lease I use for the rest), so this isn't a garage queen--I'm looking for every excuse to drive it! I have a two year plan with the car and will let it go sometime in 2021 before I depreciate the holy hell out of the car with mileage.

Here are some pictures and the specs for the car. Thank you all for having me!

2012 Ferrari FF
    • 19,761 miles
    • Nero Daytona paint--car is currently wrapped in red and black
    • Bordeaux interior
    • Alcantara boot, carpets, headliner
    • Silverstone grey calipers
    • Carbon center zone
    • Carbon driver zone
    • Carbon bridge
    • Carbon dash inserts
    • Carbon door handles
    • Cruise control
    • Suspension lifter
    • Fender shields
    • Homelink mirror
    • Front & rear cameras
    • Front & rear PDC
    • Passenger display!
    • Auto boot lid
    • White rev counter
    • Forged diamond wheels
    • Full electric & ventilated seats
    • Hi power audio system (omg the head unit is garbage--you guys weren't kidding in the threads I read!)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Congrats.. Love the black with Rossa.. I have not seen that. Is the black on exterior painted or a wrap in certain parts. Looks great, and nice specs as well! Enjoy!

Darkshear likes this.
  3. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Thank you! The entire exterior is wrapped. Which is nice since I wanted red anyway, and if I get bored I can pull it off and enjoy the metallic black!

G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  4. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Congrats nice to have another FF in Florida,

Darkshear likes this.
  5. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats!! Looking good! I'm loving mine and driving her all the time. These things are a great deal now and should be driven.

Darkshear likes this.
  6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Congrats, like you I believe the FF is an amazing car, this was solidified to me when I sat in the back of one doing 165 mph and then sat comfort as we blasted over a mountain pass.

Darkshear likes this.
  7. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Great first post! Congrats. Very cool spec.

Darkshear likes this.
  8. Rojak

Rojak Rookie

Jan 8, 2019
    East Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Facciobene
    I too purchased an FF recently as this is my first F car, I am also in Florida. I am absolutely crazy about this fantastic machine as you seem to be as well. happy motoring !

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Darkshear likes this.
  9. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Congrats. Got my FF in March as my daily and absolutely love it. Total no brained for everything the car delivers in the price range (except for mileage/range lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Oh my God you're not kidding. I thought my M5 was bad on gas mileage. This thing makes that car look like a Prius

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FF gets 11 mpg driving normally...

12. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    What is this "normal" you speak of?? :)

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha, like when i have a kid in the front seat, which is most of the time

14. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I’m at under 10 mpg in my FF, mostly city driving and I’m pretending I’m at a drag strip if I’m first at a red light :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  15. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    I just averaged out my last ~500 miles or so to 9.6 MPG lol. Ouch!

16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Have only found octane up to 90 near my residence. Well, at least gas is cheap here so can't complain.

17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just put a deposit on a 2012 FF today with 28k miles. It will be my day driver replacing my 2006 M5 with 148K miles that I bought new in Dec. 05. I didn't think gas mileage could be worst then the M5. I average about 13 mpg in it. I am having it inspected for the powertrain warranty. My service rep said I should not touch the car without it. He has had several requiring new transmissions for $35-$50K.

Rbtrader likes this.
  18. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    What prices are they quoting for a powertrain warranty? What are the limits for years and miles? I have been considering an FF, I think they are amazing cars, but I had never considered buying a warranty. Thanks in advance, Rich

19. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    $5760+ tax per year after a pre-inspection which is $595+tax. Ouch.

That’s for the V12, the V8 cars are a little cheaper.

Eligible up to the 12th year of the car and under 56,000 miles on the clock.

20. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was quoted $6300 including inspection. It is Unlimited milage but power train and transmission only. I was under the impression I could keep extending it until car was 15 yrs old. I did not realize there was a milage limitation. I plan to do 10-15k miles/yr

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

21. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Is that price is inclusive of tax as well, it's consistent with what I was told.

My information comes directly out of the "New Power - Brochure Sample.pdf" that my service adviser sent me. Attached it here for you.

Attached Files:

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats and I wish you good luck with it!

Darkshear likes this.
  23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Funny with all the FF in Florida, people are always saying to me that they haven’t seen one in person!

Multiple threads on the utility or lack there of of the warranty. I went with one of the first year to make sure I didn’t hit too badly but I’ve gone without since.

Drive it well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    If I could get someone to tell me “I’m an independent and I can repair your gearbox for $8,000 instead of $30,000 at the dealer”, then I wouldn’t even consider the warranty. But I have yet to find that :(

ScottS likes this.
  25. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Did my PTU under warranty. Like 18k. Otherwise I’d be annoyed.

I think it’s a good idea for the first year with higher mileage cars. They are very expensive to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk