My First Ferrari - 360 Spider 6-Speed Manual Transmission | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari - 360 Spider 6-Speed Manual Transmission

Discussion in '360/430' started by fredzzz, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Exactly one week ago I finally took the step of buying my first Ferrari. I'm in the automotive business and have been interested in cars, motorbikes and anything else mechanic for as long as I can remember, so here's my story on getting my first, but hopefully not my last, Ferrari :)

Every now and then I purchase a cheap car and flip it. Many of those deals have helped me save up for the Ferrari. In addition, I run a webshop that sells custom fabricated spare parts for motorcycles and mopeds - although this is more of a side-business.

I wanted something affordable, something that was serviced and well-maintained and something "classic." Once I focused on the 360 Spider, I briefly diverted and looked into the possibility of getting an F430, as, where I am located (Zurich, Switzerland), both models - 360s and F430s - are "readily available," for a lack of a better term, and priced nearly the same (the F430s are about $10'000 to $15'000 more expensive).

I did the usual research on buying an F430 and 360. Much of the useful information came from this site (thanks guys!). I rented an F430 and looked at a few of them. I actually only looked at one 360, and that was the one I bought. I felt that I didn't need to continue searching, as I think I found the right car and I felt it was a good buy.

I bought the car with 61.850km, or 38.500 miles. It's a 2000 model (according to the paperwork), but the car was only registered in mid-2001.

The thing that really made me pull the trigger on this 360 was the extensive service the 360 had as well as the immaculate condition it is in. It had a big service just over a year ago (April 2016), and when I say big, I really mean major (pretty much exactly $10'000, when converted from Swiss Francs, and that invoice actually includes a 35% to 50% discount on most parts and labor - I received the paperwork from the garage in my research prior to buying the car). All this and more was done at 59.000km, or 36.600 miles, so right before I bought it (kilometer-wise):
    • clutch replacement
    • flywheel replacement
    • transmission serviced fully
    • timing belt
    • front bumper resprayed (stone chips)
    • various seals and o-rings were replaced
    • the usual oil and oil filter service (5W-40)
    The clutch replacement is what really pulled me towards this car. Sure, the timing belt replacement is also nice, but I knew I had to deal with that at some point down the line.

The previous owner was a known figure at the Ferrari dealership that did the last major service. He was never easy on them, called them about any issue and small detail, and always made sure the car was perfect - this also helped me with my decision. I'm a manager at an automotive store myself, and I know how annoying some customers can get, but in this case I'm glad this Ferrari owner was so persisten :)

The car has the Challenge grill. Unfortunately, the badges on the fenders aren't the embedded badges, but I can live with that.

Some questions from my side:
    • Is the rear diffuser on my car original, and/or were they ever factory delivered in body paint?
    • I am planning on doing an oil service myself. I am planning on using 0W-40. Current oil in the car is 5W-40. Am I running any risk by changing it from 5W-40 to 0W-40? The oil that was used during a summer service years ago in 2012 was 10W-60.
    Anyway, time for some pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, Walt Gamble and cavlino like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great choice!! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Very Nice.
    Put an exhaust upgrade on your ‘to do’ list.

4. cre_man

cre_man Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Nice!

The diffuser seems original, but painted, original color is blackish

5. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats! I had a similar experience when i bought my 360. I was in the market for a 430 and test drove several over the years. The salesman suggested I try a showroom-condition 360 and after one drive I purchased it. You will love it.

6. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Very nice. Congrats!

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Congratulations. Enjoy her

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Love the darker brown interior. Gorgeous car, enjoy it in good health. Oh, and get a Capristo ASAP.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Beautiful! Welcome to the gated club!

10. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    congrats and welcome!

11. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Congrats she’s a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. mikeycracks

mikeycracks Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
  13. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Me too. It's Cuoio.

14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

The diffuser looks original but the lower portion has been painted. It is flat black originally.

Gets car, you’re going to love it. We did the search and decision matrix. Rented (and liked) the 430, but went with the 360 and it’s softer lines. Could not be happier, it’s going to be a long-term keeper.

Congrats on finding yours!!

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Great choice for a first Ferrari.

16. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congrats. Welcome to the 3 pedal club ;)

17. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Very nice! Congrats.

18. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Congratulation, we have near identical twins (except mine being a F1) and domiciles (Zurich vs. St. Gallen)...

The rear diffusor is black originally, so yours must have been repainted. The two air filter boxes of the 360 Spider are light greyish originally, yours is black (as in the Coupe version of the 360), so this must have been modified as well.

No idea about the oil. My mechanic always uses Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. If in doubt, I wouldn't risk anything to save on the wrong end.

By the way, we are bunch of Ferrari drivers in Switzerland that meet a few times per year for mutual Ferrari trips (emphasis lies on driving the Ferrari, not on owning it...). Drop me a PM or check out ferrari-drivers-club.ch if you are interested to join us. Would be great.

Martin

whatheheck likes this.
  19. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    Great choice! Definitely upgrade the exhaust. Go to YouTube and try out all the choices. I opted for more bark and got the factory sport system. If you want LOUD there are many choices enjoy

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

20. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks Marin. I sent you a message.

Also, I don't see there being much of an issue with the oil, just wanted to ask you experts. The car manual states that 0W-40, 5W-40 as well as 10W-60 are all fine to be used. I'll be performing the oil change myself this coming week, if I find time.

I already checked this before I bought the car :) I will probably opt for a Capristo (level 3 with valve remote) some time down the line.

21. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    This tan interior leather of yours is IMHO much more classy than often "hyped" cream interior. Especially when contrasted with light silver parts and black leather. But it could use some deviated stitching, IMHO.

Almost 62 000km and no (visual) signs of the infamous sticky buttons, hows this possible?

22. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I feel the same about the interior! I saw pictures of the creme, but like this darker tan color a lot more, especially with the black as you mentioned.

The stickiness of the plastic hardware is mainly found on my steering wheel housing panels. The window buttons are fine, as well as the control units in the center consol (including the plastic covers and panel). The AC vent on the far right is starting to get sticky now, after I wiped down the dashboard today. I better stop touching the plastic :)

billy.gif likes this.
  23. JariT

JariT Rookie

Nov 25, 2011
    Switzerland
    Congrats on your new car and hope you enjoy it. I’m also living at Zurich area.

24. mikeycracks

mikeycracks Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
    Embedded badges? I didn’t know there were two option?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Great choice congratulations I have the Grigio Alloy spider F1 with a Tubi exhaust it howls incredible noise good luck :)