My first Hiro model Factory kit assembly | FerrariChat

My first Hiro model Factory kit assembly

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by spirot, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    crinoid and Christian.Fr like this.
  2. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    crinoid, Christian.Fr and furmano like this.
  3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Let go ahead this thread.

crinoid likes this.
  4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Awesome. I'm jealous. I've been very tempted by several of their offerings in the last year but I know myself well enough to know it will remain a box of bits until I am dead and gone and then it will be thrown away.
    If they release (as I expect them to now that the 20th anniversary of several big victories is approaching) the 333SP then all bets are off and I will break down and order one.

crinoid likes this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its not actually as bad as I was fearing. The biggest difference is the parts are not numbered - so there is a lot of checking pictures and instructions matching each hose etc... and then un like in plastic kits - Tamiya and Protar for example - you have to literally finish each part... flashing, seams and even the actual fit, all get adjusted. the other part that is CRAZY are all the small rivets and small details... for screw heads bolts etc... you have to finish each hole and trim each screw... so the time it take is way - way longer.

also you have to prime and paint all parts in advance of assembly - then re finish them after assembly its a bit chicken or egg on some things... I'm now on to the engine - building the intake system and injectors... working with super glue is a PITA, but I have been using micro clear as well, which is a bit better to use.

the hardest part is to prime and paint - then assemble or assemble then prime & paint? I think Tamiya does a much better job on the seat details - the belts in this kit are not great. ... but what do you want for $700

furmano and crinoid like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    OMG guys. PLEASE keep posting. I've been dying to put one together. I've literally been trying to learn to airbrush before trying to put one together.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm using rattle cans and paint brush... airbrushing is cool and I have a huge compressor but I just would not use it enough.. and its a pita to change out colors clean etc... I'm old fashioned... plus it more "hand made" in my mind.

crinoid likes this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What formula are you using to get a proper shade of red ?

10. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Looks very nice so far: make sure to prefit all the parts before painting is my sound advice!

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I completely understand what you are saying. its chicken or the egg... do you paint then fit or fit sand trim and paint...

I've pre fitted almost all the key parts over and over before painting. as for the engine block - I've fitted all the main parts and now am just doing the detail pipes etc... the wiring is going to be colossal pita...

I painted the Tub the other day- and wet sanded it, its going in for a new coat once it stops raining... then I have to do the foil on the in side of the engine cover... and build up the side pods.. next is the radiator & intercooler systems ... I figure I'll be done by Feb or very end of January. ( unless work gets in the way with Travel ) My biggest difficulty so far are the rivets.... they are hard to cut and shape and then place.

crinoid likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm using Tamiya Italian red.

furmano and crinoid like this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Tom, maybe you ought to try this paint. What better match is there for Rosso Corsa than...Rosso Corsa!
    http://www.gravitycolors.com/product/ferrari-rosso-corsa/
    (And they have 13 other Ferrari colors as well, including "David Piper Green"!)

crinoid likes this.
  14. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    very nice!

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm actually enjoying it... its more work, lots and lots of sanding, but after a stressful day at work its a bit zen like.... next one will be a 917 k...

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So short update. I now see why these kits are so difficult... final assembly - and nothing fits right ... I'm very disappointed that the wheel hubs and nuts that hold the wheels on do not fit right at all. you have to supply so much force that it breaks the super glue bonds on parts of the suspension... not good.

the rear engine cover just does not want to fit right either. I'll post some more pictures... soon but its just disappointing - considering how much these kits cost. so there are parts that are enjoyable, and then parts that are just awful because the instructions don't even cover some things... the fit so far has been very poor, but manageable, but this last part - is disturbing.

17. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    This is typical of MFH kits; the optimum solution would be to build two of each model; one for exposed display and the other fully enclosed, or do as I did with the 917; build the MFH exposed and buy the Truescale Miniatures curbside resin models to display with it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lusso123 likes this.
  18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Very nice

19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    David, that is a great display!

20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Very nice!

What scale is this kit? I've been wanting to get into this as well but I prefer larger scales.

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I share your frustration. I'm just completing a build of one of their 1:24th Ferrari 275 GTB kits, and the engineering is pretty bad. I can't believe how poorly everything fits.... or doesn't fit, and the amount of work needed to make it all go together. There really is no excuse for so many problems with so many of the parts. Plus there are other flaws and inaccuracies in this kit. So.... I am disappointed to read the problems you have experienced. Maybe MFH should take more time to get things right before putting their kits into production....

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    1:12 scale.

HotShoe likes this.