My first Hiro model Factory kit assembly | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My first Hiro model Factory kit assembly

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by spirot, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

You make a good point, but this is the way it is, and these MFH kits are still light years ahead of some of the resin & white metal 1:12th kits from ABC Brianza, MG, and others.

2. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have some good friends who build 1/12 MFH kits and I've seen what they go through to make them right, make them fit. They are very finicky kits and not as super-detailed as one might imagine. Spend the right amount of time on them, however, and they're spectacular. The "average" builder is likely to be severely disappointed in or never finish a 1/12 MFH kit, perhaps that's why so few Pocher kits ever got finished. Same deal...they aren't even close to Tamiya-like quality. Dreams in a box, but when that box has boutique-level engineering and production, you have to have a level of talent and skill to overcome obstacles all along the way. So...I know my own limitations and generally stick to 1/24th scale :cool:

3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Business economics. The ROI for any major model kit manufacturer like Tamiya is not worth it on large 1:12th kits. They may occasionally produce something new or reissue previous runs, but that is only when they can justify and expect to sell high volume.....thousands, not 100 to 500 max.

With that said.....MFH certainly could and should put more effort into better engineering. It can be done, but requires much more time/effort and attention to detail than they are applying to their kits.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I get the low production numbers and all that. What I don't get is the poor castings & I'm ok with cleaning all that up and making things fit, but stuff like the wheel hubs and the wheel nuts not working - I get they have to be able to be tight - but mine will not even spin on with out using so much force you break / twist the suspension mounting... that is not right. The instructions are nice - and give you a false sense of direction. after completing this model - I now see a lot of errors and miss directions ... like hoses that go to no where. Thankfully I look at lots of reference photos so caught where things have to go... in the end its a good model from 1 ft or so...

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I completely agree, and am not a PR guy for MFH. But having been in the business as long as I have, and having seen the issues from all sides....collector/builder, manufacturer, and dealer.... I know at least some of their mind set, which is unfortunately not really in the best interest of the end user....the hobbyist builders. And as I wrote: "MFH certainly could and should put more effort into better engineering. It can be done, but requires much more time/effort and attention to detail than they are applying to their kits." I also wrote awhile ago about one of their 1:24 Ferrari 275 GTB kits that I recently completed - converted into a GTB/4 (two photos shown below), and to put it politely, that kit was a pig. There were numerous fit problems to the extent of showing thoughtless/bad engineering. Almost nothing in that kit fit as it was supposed to, and I had to extensively modify some major components to get it to go together. It almost seemed as if the kit was designed by 2 or 3 different groups, and nothing was fully checked before they put it into production. Adding to that was the fact that there were numerous inaccuracies. Some I fixed, and some I left as is, since there would have been far too much work involved to correct them. I also replaced the seats and many of the detail parts for better ones from.... of all things.... a Revell 275 GTB/4 kit! The wheels I used are not from either kit. Overall the model looks good, but I'm not completely happy with it, but it is ok.

Attached Files:

furmano likes this.
  6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Great collection. Hey, you win some, you lose some. Thank you for sharing your experience.

-F

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I completely agree. I was expecting a challenging build, but I figured the challenge was that it was so detailed that you have to be precise in the building. I was not expecting to have to completely re fashion, re work the parts. the castings are super crude - the photo etched parts are very nice to work with, but the white metal is terrible. as for the resin parts - they are nice in the sense they are thing and generally well formed. but my kit's floor was warped, and after heating and then trying to flatten it out under 30lbs of weight for 48 hours it was better but still had some memory. the engine cover is the biggest disappointment .. it just does not fit, with all the detail under it. I was thinking that I could dis assemble the whole thing again and shave the bottom of the engine about 3-4 mm and then test it again - but that means basically a complete re do, and who knows of parts that will crack.

the pick up points for the suspension and the chassis are terribly engineered. I would recommend some form of metal on metal joint with a tapped screw so that it holds and you are not counting on a white metal pin held in by CA... to me that just seems stupid. and finally machine the hubs and the nuts to actually fit and turn.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Beautiful kit - love the color!!! well done!

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Thank you! I love the color too; it's one of my favorites for '60s Ferrari road cars.