My Mondial 3.2 Coupe | FerrariChat

My Mondial 3.2 Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ATSAaron, Apr 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Georgeous!

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Battle of the three piece wheels! :)

ATSAaron likes this.
  3. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Speedlines (Mondial) versus Autostrada Modenas (308)

4. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Dude, I’m so bummed, was looking forward to that but ended up working.

6. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    He wants it back. I'm not ready to give it up yet. The custom norwood distributor made from a flathead Ford distributor has failed. I bought the car non-running but managed to cobble together a sort of working distributor...but it only runs one timing setting. There is no advance. I'm going to upgrade it to a coil-on-plug setup like my 308.

Aaron

StuR likes this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Technical challenges are the best! Wish you the most success.

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Those are bought striking cars, especially with the wheels. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    This is Russ’ old black Mondial that he couldn’t find a buyer for? You picked it up approx 4 yrs ago? One and the same?

12. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Same car, but different buyer. I bought it from the guy Russ sold it to in January 2018. Because of issues with the flathead Ford distributor it was non-running at the time.

Aaron

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Love to see what you use for the COP setup.
    Thought the single distributer mod on your car was well concieved back in the day.

14. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Wasn’t Russ’ car picked up by a dealer (flipper)? The car was discussed a bit in this forum because Russ had it for sale for so long. Finally sold it to a dealer. The dealer took some high production professional photos and was able to sell it pretty quickly- that sound about right Aaron?

15. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Hi Aaron

May I ask if you could take some side-by-side photos of the Mondial with the 308. I’m really curious to see the difference in size. Several months ago someone else on this forum posted a side-by-side photo of a Mondial with a 308- I was quite surprised, almost shocked, by the difference in size, both in length and width, between the two.

16. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Yes, I will do that. The Mondial looks pretty exotic by itself. But when parked next to my 308 it looks BIG.

No, Russ sold it straight to Matthew for $35,000, whom I bought it from.

Aaron

17. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Obviously once it left Russ’ hands I lost track of it. Indeed re size comparison. That is why I asked for/would love to see some side-by-side shots. I think of Mondials as being pretty small; especially considering it a 2+2. But somewhere in this forum 2-3 years ago someone pictured a single photo of a Mondial next to a 308, I was very surprised at how much bigger the Mondial appeared, esp width-wise.

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought Russ's car was an 8, not a 3.2...no?

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I understand the confusion, there are two Russ' on this forum. The Russ you're talking about sold it to a professional dealer as you said for very low (I forget, something like in the teens) He bought it from a government auction after it was sitting for years rotting. I don't know why he was surprised it was in bad shape (he bought it sight unseen, no inspection) He kept comparing it to regularly driven and maintained cars. He spent a long time dogging it and all Mondials in general on this forum. I couldnt help but feel he treated this forum like an 'ex girlfriend' trash talk site. The dealer that bought it, gave it some TLC, and a few years later it was flipped for almost double. It angered him even more and his attacks on the car only increased.

I beleive he bought a 328 and that was his parting with this forum.

alexion, gsfent, davem and 1 other person like this.
  20. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Haha!! Thank you Paul!! Yes; that’s the Russ I was talking about!! So funny, such a Mondial “hater”, an owner too, and yet constantly posting on the Mondial forum what a pos the Mondial is. I actually met him in person when I went to see a t coupe that was for sale in Oregon about 2-3 yrs ago. That was long before “the love” these cars seem to be enjoying now. That car sold on eBay for about 35g. In need of service yes, but a fairly clean and a low-mileage example (about 25-30k on the odometer)

paulchua likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #22 paulchua, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    I was surprised how transparent he was about his situation. Truth be told, I would be pretty upset too if I had 'that' car for what he paid for it. It had a lot of issues, and it sounded like he spent a considerable amount in attempting to fix it. The money he spent was that not recouped, until the dealer flipped it that is. I think a clear case where irrationally hating the car ended up costing him, instead of trying to be somewhat objective.

As long as the car follows inflation, and no longer depreciating, it's all gravy at this point in my opinion. It did surprise me to see a 3.2 sell last month at auction for $54,000 it had 40k miles. Same car say 4 short years ago would have went for what? Low 30s and a few snickers at the buyer?

alexion likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #23 paulchua, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    First picture the car has only 12K miles and sold for 35 euro in 2015
    Second picture the car has 40K miles and sold for 45 euro last month 2018

Same auction house btw
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

With Buyers Fee and VAT it comes out to $57,051 US Dollars. Again, it has 40,000 miles.

Read'em and weep naysayers.

Attached Files:

alexion likes this.
  23. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    It's the topless picture that yeilded the extra 10k ;)

But in all seriousness...I think people are starting to wake up and appreciate these fine automobiles.

There's nothing more ignorant than dissing Mondial's that share the exact same platforms as other models in the same generation. 3.2's are crap but 328's are amazing and reliable...Mondial t's are not reliable and cost a lot to maintain, but 348's are robust and awesome :rolleyes:

paulchua and gsfent like this.
  24. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Somewhere in this forum I was “doubting”/making fun of even my Mondi family- the Mondi’s time in the sun is here and NOW!! Forget 4 years ago, only 2-3 years ago the Mondi was the unloved bastard step-child!!

Exactly as Alexion said: it really the exact same car (systems) as the beloved 308/328. The 348 is an altogether different car though imho (design)- so why/how all the hatred. I think its because it’s not a “traditional” Ferrari (GT/2+2), It has 2 too many seats!! Lol

Have you noticed the Mondi’s place at the table as the unloved bastard step-child is presently being occupied by the Ferrari 456? An absolutely stunningly beautiful design imho, though ymmv, but another GT/2+2.

Temple

gsfent, alexion and paulchua like this.