My more better GTC | FerrariChat

My more better GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SCantera, Mar 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #1 SCantera, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After 8 months w/o my beloved GTC things are finally coming back together. Last June I had the tired engine pulled for a complete rebuild. 4 cylinders were a bit oval and there were 3 broken oil rings. Considering the bottom of the engine had never been opened overall most of the components were not bad at all. The engine was disassembled at F1 Imports here in Naples. We shipped the block out to Patrick Otis for machining of the liners and fitting of new JE pistons. Patrick's shop has incredibly tight tolerances and does fantastic work. Other work included new rods, bearings, valves, seals....and on. Should be a very strong engine.

This is the 2nd GTC I have owned over my 30+ yrs of Ferrari ownership. And the GTC is still my favorite all around Ferrari. I plan on keeping this one as long as I am able to drive it like it should be driven. So although many here might consider my "improvements" blasphemy this is my version of "My more better GTC......."

1. Dumped the Lucas alternator and replaced w/ a 110 Amp Delco.....upgraded lead wiring to accomodate the increased load. This will allow me to turn on lights, a/c and wipers all at the same time!! Unique concept.

2. Gone is the power stealing and inefficient York A/C compressor. In it's place is a new Sanden compressor.

3. Out with the Lucas cooling fans that blow air everywhere except through the condensor and radiator. A new GM a/c condensing unit that matches the width of the radiator is being installed. Then new Spal fans in shrouds will efficiently force air through the condensor and radiator with minimal air leakage. [Living in FL I would like to be able to run the a/c w/o the engine overheating.]

Of course "while we are at it" the entire engine compartment and undercarraige were stripped if years of gunk, repainted and detailed. New hoses, rubber, plastics, etc. that are in period will give the compartment a great look.New front suspension components were installed including shocks, all bushings and fasteners. Brakes were rebuilt w/ new hoses and components.

This GTC should drive like new.

Can't wait to get it on the road. I will also rebuild the rear suspension and upgrade the a/c fan motor [MB makes one that fits perfectly] in the near future. And I will have to research better headlights for safer night driving. But those upgrades will have to wait as I am anxious to drive. After all this is driving season here in FL! So while this GTC will not win any awards for originality it is going to be a well driven GTC. I plan on thousands of miles over its and my lifetime. Just like my 1st GTC [my only car for 5 yrs back in the 70s] s/n 9593 is my going-on-tour or just to-the-grocery-store Ferrari.

Should be worth the wait.

cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    looks great, I always love to view of a newly rebuild engine! I'm aways amazed that with relativey low effords ( no offense meant, purely talking about the looks) any engine can be turned into a "new" one.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lovely car...but atrocious grammar. We all know the proper usage is "more betterful"! :)

Cheers -- thanks for sharing

4. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #4 Vintage V12, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    You sent the engine to the right shop. Patrick Ottis and his staff did my engine and I cannot tell enough how happy I am with the results.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for the update, Steve. I'm taking notes so I can make my GTC more better too, (although not as gooder as yours!)

Jack

6. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Don't do that! NEVER turn on lights, a/c, and wiper on simultaneously in a classic Ferrari.

It just brings bad luck...;)

7. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Marvelous job, Steve.
    Kudos for making the car more functional.
    I wonder if you could be so kind as to provide the Part Numbers or at least more information on the alternative parts that you found to fit well?
    That is:
    110A Delco alternator
    Sanden A/C compressor
    GM a/c condensing unit
    Spal fans
    MB a/c fan motor

What if any bracket modifications were necessary with these changes?
    Some pictures of the finished instillation would be greatly appreciated!

Beautiful car!

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that looks and sounds great, Steve. that will make for some fantastic driving. the smartest thing I ever did on my old queen mother was upgrading the alternator and installing high-efficiency cooling fans.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

steve, please keep the pictures coming and furthermore, please update w/ your impressions after the first drive!

the engine looks like a true jewel!!

best,

peter

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Those mods can be reversed back to original easily if ever desired. In the meantime, you get to drive it with greater security and comfort!

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    No, Julio the real bad luck strikes when the cooling fans add to the other electrical loads......you watch the lights go dim with each stroke of the wipers...before the car quits.

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #12 SCantera, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
    Gary,

I will note each part number that make up these improvements. Still a bit to go before all the pieces are put together.

There was fabrication work that was needed to make the Sanden compressor fit. Eric at F1 imports copied the original bracket make-up that was used to mount the Lucas alternator. So the a/c compressor mounting bracket looks like an original.

He also made changes to the condensing unit mounts so the radiator can be lifted out w/o having to evacuate the system or remove the condensing unit. Wish Ferrari had used this kind of thinking from the beginning. Smart guy Eric is....

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Great stuff SCantera, love the fact you're going to be driving it. They're great cars, wonderful to drive.

Onno

14. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Since you live in Florida, I think you should enter it in the "display" class at Cavallino, next year. I am sure others would like to talk to you about the modifications and being on the field will make you all the more accessible.

George

15. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Looks GREAT!!! Please keep us informed about the improvements. I have a Delco alternator on 9411 but I need to change the pulley size so that it charges at idle. When stopped at a light with the A/C and lights on it is really discharging.

Regards,
    Terry W. Phillips

16. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    Looking great, Steve. Those mods sound perfect.

I have heard of brighter (halogen?) headlamp bulbs - not sure if they require a wiring or socket upgrade to handle the amps/heat.

Don't forget to polish all the fuse block fuseholders with a little emery cloth while you are in there. Patrick mentioned once that they will also add a tiny bit of solder at the fuse block rivets in the high-amp circuits to prevent heating as things oxidize. Otherwise, things can get locally hot and meltly even in normal operation.

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Reminds me of the comment (by Bugatti, I think)...brakes, who needs brakes!

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hope I'm not derailing by mentioning this, but; as the subject is modernizing this, that and the other, all in order to best protect your investment as well as enjoy as close to trouble-free driving as possible . . .

. . . as Fram burst it's um, gasket long ago, may I humbly suggest Baldwin Oil Filters?

19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you for your suggestion. When I had my 1st GTC from 1976-85 - 9 yrs and 97k miles - I only ran w/ Fram filters. I remember PH 2804 like I remember my birthdate. Never had a problem. Now that the experience of the world has become available your comment looms larger. However I think i'll roll the dice and wait the 500 miles b4 the 1st oil change to go to Baldwins.

20. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    #20 Bob Zambelli, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve - don't tell me you're actually going to drive your car?
    You should be ashamed!! Ferraris aren't meant to be driven (!!!!). Everyone knows that!

Kidding aside, your modifications are quite logical and will really enhance the driving enjoyment of the GTC.

I did an alternator modification to mine back in 1990, installing a GM type found at JC Whitney. It's a single wire type that required some simple bracketry to install. The output was 50 amps but it was by far better than the pathetic Lucas unit that came with the car.

Last summer, the alternator failed and I was able to find a replacement at the local CarQuest. Same housing, 80 amps and around $60.00.

Following the comment by Terry, I had similar results. Mine will just barely charge at idle but just above, it's fine. I'm a bit hesitant to change the pulley as I do not know the max allowable RPM of the alternator. Remember, it was designed for a 5,000 RPM Chevy!

Once off idle, it will handle the loads including lights, wipers and AC all at once.

The best drive belts I've found came from NAPA.

I've had my GTC since 1975 and I've never had the engine out. Beleive it or not, the old York AC works quite well and I've never had to adjust or change the (2) drive belts in well over 100,000 miles. I do have to add a can of R-12 once a year.

BUT, I really like your idea of using a modern compressor. When I hit 200,000 miles, the engine wil probably come out for a rebuild. That's when I'll install the Sanden compressor.

Since I happened to have two FIAT 124 fans on hand, I installed them with minimal fuss - they do the jod without any problem. A bit noisy but at least I know they're working.

Another mod I highly recommend - install two Bosche Blue coils. Item #0120 from International Auto Parts, $38.95 each. I've used these in many cars and never had a problem. I use a condenser from a Ford V-8 but International sells a Bosche unit (#3056) for $5.80.

The main relay that closes when you turn on the key - it was giving me fits and I finally gave up and intalled a Bosche relay. Still going strong after 25 years.

Finally, here's one I plan for the near future. I will replace the archaic fuse blocks with a more modern version with plug-in fuses as shown. I'm really tired of having to lift the hood and "roll' the fuses when I lose an electrical function. Yes, I've cleaned all the contact surfaces and soldered the rivetted joints but they're still a pain. It's quite possible that when driving in the rain, water splashes up and around the fuse block and causes corrosion.

Here are pictures of the replacement blocks I plan to install. Note that they have an O-ring seal to keep out moisture. I will adapt the original covers to fit.

Bob Z.

21. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    BobZ: Before you pull the old fuse block consider two bits of work that might solve the problem: 1) with a Dremel tool and its small brass brush, polish all the spade connects and the "sockets" for all the fuse ends 2) toss all the lead/ceramic fuses and replace them with modern Buss glass pointy end replacements from NAPA (I think they are GRCs). Nothing made such and improvemet to my 330s drivability for so little effort and expense. M

22. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Bob,

One of the driving factors in making my GTC a better car is that we are going to build a summer home in the NC mtns. Although I love FL weather the summers are hot and the roads are extremely boring. There are so many great roads in NC for me to explore on my way to coffee or nowhere. Nothing like heel-toeing while negotiating the mountain switchbacks. Coming up your way. Can't wait. Ultimately I plan on shipping the car to tour Italy and maybe have JazzyO show me around the Alps. That would be an experience.

But back to topic...................

You are probably right about the York compressor. However it is an engine robbing chunk of heavy metal. The Sanden is much more efficient w/ less drag. The other step to making the a/c system work better is changing the fan motor inside the car. Eric [my shop] has installed an MB fan motor that swaps out for the old in the console. The new fan blows significantly more air over the coils. Air volume/velocity is a weak point in most vintage Ferraris. I saw this done on a Daytona where it made a significant improvement in keeping the driver cooler. And you don't change the squirrel cage fans.....just the motor.

I will take you up on the idea of the Bosch coils. One of mine needs replacement anyway as the case looks weak. Maybe I can find the same paint color and stickers as the original.

As the project progresses I will document all the replacement part names/numbers. That will include the Sanden, the GM condensor, Delco alt, Spal fans, and MB fan motor. Eric at F1 imports offered to template the bracketry for the Sanden and the A/C Delco alternator. That way w/ part nos., diagrams, and pictures the GTC upgrade information can be cataloged.

getting closer to the road

23. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Bob,

Where did you source the 8 position replacement fuse box?

Thanks,
    Greg

24. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Something else to add to that process:
    Stabilant 22 is a polymer contact enhancement material that helps maintain the integrity of the contact area between connectors. I was introduced to it while building a special Audi project ten year ago; it is recommended by VW for making electrical repairs. It's difficult to prove the difference it makes, and other than the VW/Audi tech paper I saw, I haven't heard of it used much in the automotive world. However it seems to have widespread use in electronics applications.

Since the point of the 330GTC I bought is it's extraordinary originality, I'm going to work hard to make the most of the original systems. But listening carefully to all this!

25. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Great advice on preserving the original fuses and block - THANKS!!
    That will save me a lot of time.
    I did not know that the glass fuses were still available.

Greg - go here: <terminalsupplyco.com> Part #ATO-FB8

Excellent people to deal with. If you call, talk to Chelsea. She's knowledgeable and very helpful.

Bob Z.