My new 355 | FerrariChat

My new 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by geno355, May 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    #1 geno355, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    I am loving life. 8 days ago, I bought a round-trip ticket, hopped a plane in Lexington, KY and flew to Dulles International in VA. I was picked up by chat member Joao, a terrific guy, like all the chat members I have dealt with. A short drive to a beautiful gated community brought me to a place that held the reason I would not be using the 2nd set of boarding passes in my red folder. A beautiful 1998 355 GTS, Rosso Corsa, 17,005 miles. Beautiful paint. Interior very nice, but for the usual shrinking dash skin. Under the front lid were all books, tools, air can and the car cover. Included were complete service records from the day of purchase including oil changes, 5k and 15k service. Even the original window sticker was there. After a nice drive through the community, the boarding passes were useless to me. I handed my new friend a bank check for $60k, and began my 8 hour drive home. Let me tell you, 500 miles through the Blue Ridge Mountains on a sunny spring day in a bright red Ferrari does not suck. It was glorious.

I’d like to thank Joao for answering every tedious question through the buying process. You might remember him from a thread called “should have bought a Porsche”. Although he is dealing with some negative feelings about the Ferrari brand, his passion about fine exotics cannot be questioned. The museumesque home for his cars (It can’t be called just a garage) proves it. He contacted me after seeing my post regarding my search for a 355. I knew any car I bought would require a personal inspection, so I planned the trip, and Joao immediately emailed and faxed title, records and pics so that I would know he was for real. He also offered to pay half my plane ticket if I decided the car was not right for me and flew back to the Bluegrass. As soon as he knew I was serious enough to make the trip, he was a fountain of information. He said it needed the 30k mile service, and offered to sell the car for 66k with the service to be done by Ferrari of Washington, or let me have it for $60k without the service. I liked that option so that I could pick my own service center establish a relationship right off the bat. When I started looking at the car, he immediately began pointing out the negatives with the car, and they were few and minor. After a few minutes behind the wheel, it was clear I found a gem.

Comparing this car to my 89 328GTS and 94 348 Spider, would be comparing apples to oranges. I loved both of them, and love this 355 also. I’m just a working stiff, not a man of wealth, so I had to sell the each one to help pay for the other. I’ve been a Ferrari guy since I was about 12. I even wrote a letter to Enzo at that age telling him how I dreamed of some day owning a 512 Berlinetta Boxer. I was rewarded with a nice 512BB brochure which I still have, and dog-eared as it is, it ranks right up there with my Farrah Fawcett poster, which won’t even unroll as it seems to be all stuck together for some reason.

Enough babble. I hope you’ll welcome me back to the Scuderia fold.

Geno

I hope this pic works ...

[​IMG]

Why isn't this pic displaying???

2. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    beautiful 355!!

congrats!! sounds like a dream come true. Glad your purchasing transaction has gone so well! enjoy it in the best of health and please post as many pictures/video as possible along your journey!!

Sounds almost exactly how my experience went when I flew to Dulles Int. to meet a member of nsxprime to purchase my nsx. I also loved driving my car back thru the blue ridge parkway!

enjoy it!!

3. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Congrats on your new beautiful gem!

Enjoy her in great health,

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    We need pics of Farrah.

5. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Congrats on the 355. Glad you found one.
    I'm sure you'll like it more and more as you drive it.

6. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    [​IMG]

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Congratulations :D!!!

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Congrats, enjoy her in good health (not the Farrah poster, the car) !!

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #9 355dreamer, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't think there could be a better care taker tan joao. You got yourself a great car at a great price. I am sad to see it leave the mid atlantic, but I am happy it is going to a great home. Here is your photo. enjoy the best modern Ferrari made :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats on a GORGEOUS aquisition!!! It sounds like you got the royal treatment from Joao, and by him offering to pay half of your plane ticket if it didn't work out shows the confidence he had in this beautiful machine, that certainly says something!!!

11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Congrats enjoy for the summer

12. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Very, VERY nice... congratulations!

Mike in Kuwait

13. joao

joao Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks geno for all the nice things you said...I know I will miss her but she probably won't, she just failed in love with her next sugar dady...just like all my ex mistresses, treat her good and she'll do anything for you...again just like my all my ex's...LOL.I know you wanted to buy a bra for the drive back but just like Farrah she looks better without one. Enjoy because a new Ferrari is like a new woman...always exiting...but the difference is she wont talk back.
    Oh by the way she likes soft moves and sunny days, she is lady after all, you are only the 3rd man she went out with, so be nice and enjoy her...LOL
    Selling the 456 now, who wants to steal her away from me...she is as good as the other but likes to be treated different...a little more high maintenace but again...just like any mistress...sorry couldn't help it, I'm from Europe and overthere having a nice car and a mistress goes hand in hand. Life is good...even without a mistress right now. LOL

14. joao

joao Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    Also...she loves to take her top off...she looks so good without it...again just like.......................

15. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Beautiful! 355 GTBs are, bite the back of your hand, beautiful. Enjoy her! I miss my dads 355 :(

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    LOL!!!!

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Didn't that picture give her 'The most exposed nipple' award? :)

18. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    I think it caused a lot of blindness. At least if what my mother said was true.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Beautiful car mate!! :):)

Great story!! :):)

20. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Very nice!! Congrats on the new car..:D

21. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Congrats Geno355 :) :) !!!

Great story!

22. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Congratulations on your new car!! Looks fantastic

23. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Congrats!

This is an awesome thread. :D

Farrah....Ferraris...a happy new owner....a sad seller....it has it all!

24. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Excellent! Perfect choice!

25. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Great story! Congrats on a beautiful ride. 355 has such awesome lines... a classic for sure!