My new 718 Spyder | FerrariChat

My new 718 Spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ebobh15, Apr 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Just took delivery today. The dealer received it from Porsche NA as an ad/exec demo, so it had some miles, but is in pristine condition. They wrapped the nose to keep it clean, and did a full CPO inspection, fluids, etc. I went to the dealer to discuss purchasing my current Boxster at lease end, and they had this yet-to-be-listed in the prep area. They pulled it out so I could test drive it, after which I put $$ down and signed docs.

GT Silver, with Bordeaux Red dash, seats and roof. Alcantara inserts in black & on the under-dash area. 6 speed manual (apologies to the PDK enthusiasts, I had the PDK on my Boxster, but wanted the true, old-time sports car experience). I wasn't sure I'd like the red, but it looks even better in person than in photos. The stance of the car, the GT4/GT3 equipment, and the speedster humps set it apart from anything else out there (and at $800K less than the 918 Spyder). The only nominal gripe is that they could have badged it as a 982 Spyder instead of a 718, especially since it is a flat 6...

As others have noted, the manual roof is wonky, and second gear is pretty tall. It is, though, glued to the road and an absolute pleasure to drive. I'm 6-0 and 210lbs, but fit comfortably. The noise level is lower than I thought it might be after reading so many talk about it. I'd want it a little more raucous if I had a choice.

Sadly, this is probably the end of an era - NA, manual trans, manual roof, gas powered engine. I'm hoping to drive it like I stole it for quite awhile.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, NORTY, bounty and 14 others like this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That’s a great car, Bob. I foolishly sold my Boxster RS60 and am now searching for a CPO 981 S 6-speed. Hens’ teeth right now.

I’d love to have the 718 GTS 4.0, but they’re just too $$$.

Texas Forever, Boomhauer and ebobh15 like this.
  3. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks! Everything is pretty tough to find right now, even for those who have a relationship with the dealer. If I hadn't been in the right place at the right time...

4. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Beautiful car in a great color combo. I took delivery of mine in late January and have been stuck in the engine break-in period since.

5. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Love the spec - well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Love it! Keep it forever then do exhaust and maybe even new gearset over time if start getting bored

7. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    If I may ask, do you have any concern with windshield glare with the Bordeaux on top? I can't find any near me to inspect and of course this interior design is unique among their model line-up.
    On a different note I almost wish they allowed deviated stitching on the "Classic Spyder" interior you have (probably black, maybe silver) to further set off the center console like on the black versions but alas....

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Guess what.....I bought back my RS60 last week. The new owner wasn’t physically comfortable in the car, and I missed it, so it’s back in the garage. As as bonus, according to recent sales on BAT, I made a >$10K paper profit on the exchange.

ebobh15 and Texas Forever like this.
  9. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    Great looking Spyder and nice build. I bet it's a blast to drive.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    pearsonhaus likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    A year later….still loving it?

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yesterday I took the RS60 out for an afternoon drive. The weather here has been beautiful….upper 50s, low humidity, no wind to speak of. It was late afternoon and the sun was in my eyes, the little motor was pounding away behind me, making the most of a modest 303hp. I took a few laps around the old (WW2 bomber training base) municipal airport ring road…not quite Goodwood circuit, but it’ll do. No one out there but me. It was fantastic.

It had been at least four months since I’d driven the car so I had some trepidation about starting her up. But no, she never disappoints, fired immediately, no drama, even the tires were still at optimum pressures.

This is why I’ll always have a Porsche.

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sounds like a memorable drive. I know what you mean - took my 964 out after a month parked, no battery tender: started immediately and ran perfectly. Rock steady idle, perfect operating temperature.

Porsches are tough. She ran cool all summer, and it’s over 100 degrees F here for several months.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chupacabra and Jack-the-lad like this.
  14. RosalindBarton

Dec 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Rosalind Barton
    The light grey with a trim color that pops like orange is cool IMO. Don't feel as though you need to follow in the colors of Porsche as this is a unique car. Go with what moves you. This is a car that you can design around you. Great choice. Looking forward to the dirty details. Congrats.

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Three years on…if you ever have a notion to move it on, I’m here for you.;)

Pawilly likes this.
  16. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks, I’m good with it. I inquired about swapping up to a Spyder RS, but hadn’t bought the requisite 5-6 previous Porsches and being willing to spend $40K over list…just the draw of the GT-3 engine, probably. The longer I have it, the more I like it. I’m mulling installing over axle pipes to add some throatiness to the exhaust, other than that, I’ll keep it for at least another 5-6 years (much to my wife’s relief).

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  17. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I agree with you... I'm adding over axle pipes this spring. My one and only complaint about the Spyder is it's a little too quiet.

ebobh15 likes this.
  18. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I’m looking at Kline, Fabspeed and Soul as options. Soul has an installer near me, Kline is a couple hours away. If you’ve made your choice, which ones and what were the deciding factors? I’m in California, so I also would like to still pass emissions testing...

19. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My dealer sells Soul, so that's originally what I was considering. But, after reading Rennlist a bunch, I decided to go with the Flat 6 Motorsports pipes. In the end, I just liked the idea of the Flat 6 pipes having the heat shielding on them. I haven't read anything about people with the Soul pipes having any issues, but the extra insurance at a slightly better price seems like a no-brainer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ebobh15 likes this.