MY PORTOFINO ALMOST KILLED ME | FerrariChat

MY PORTOFINO ALMOST KILLED ME

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by aerobat3, Jun 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aerobat3

aerobat3 Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Robert Fiscella
    I was driving on a crowed interstate at about 80 or so, in my low mileage 19 Portofino, in the fast lane, when the engine suddenly cut out without warning. I was barely able to cut someone off and move to the center lane, and then again to the right lane, and finally to the shoulder all without power. An idiot in a Volvo thought I was in a traffic lane and came barreling down on me at high speed, until at the last minute she braked hard and wrenched her car back onto the highway. I really thought I was about to be killed. My annunciator said "ESC failure." I never use ESC and was in sport mode. I recycled the ignition and the car started uneventfully. This was an extremely dangerous event. The car has been in the VA dealership, which sent a truck to pick it up, for a month or so. I have had no updates or communications from them until yesterday when the service manager called to say my car would be returned by truck today. He had no explanation for what happened, said he was waiting for a "full report." I am furious about this and asked for a bonus extension of my warranty as compensation for my personal danger. If not, I will make a detailed report to NHTSA which might result in a recall of all Portofino's before someone is killed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Cool Runnin' and Texas Forever like this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Sorry to hear - sounds like it might have been an alternator or battery failure? When the battery is failing it can send random traction control, AVH or sensor errors.

3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    That is truly a horrible event.
    Should not happen to anyone.
    I have to wonder what the dealer actually did do as opposed to not finding a problem and just letting the car sit for a month.
    Several years back there were sudden engine failures in certain M5 BMWs and it happened to a friend of mine in southern California on the highway at around 50 mph. It appeared that BMW found the problem and then went on a campaign to repurchase the cars.
    It would be a good idea to discover the cause of your event to have some confidence in your car and feel able to fully enjoy it.
    I question whether a degrading battery would cause this.
    I think my first step would be to get Ferrari North America involved as they should recognize the seriousness of the failure.
    If no help there it might be time to report the issue to the NHTSA.
    You can also search their records now to see if anything has been reported.
    You can use the Freedom of Information Act if need be.
    Good luck with this.
    I hope you post again when you have more information.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I have seen my previous Cali 30 twice throw up a cascade of errors while driving -- including an ESC failure as well as AVH, manettino, and CST failures -- and realized it was because in both instances I had hit the start button without waiting a few seconds for the three beeps and ok to start message. But the car did not shut itself off, that is very dangerous. There were some reports of a 488 having an AVS failure which resulted in locked brakes ... that was (apparently) traced to shutting the car off with the transmission in reverse. No apparent resolution, but an interesting history on that particular car which popped up for sale later.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/avh-failure-resulting-in-locked-brakes.553009/

5. aerobat3

aerobat3 Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Robert Fiscella
    I got the car back today. The dealer tells me they could find no error codes. He has no idea why this happened. Obviously, I am not happy with this and appreciate your suggestions. I will first contact Ferrari of North America, and then make a report to NHTSA.

Cool Runnin' and Texas Forever like this.
  6. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Maybe low voltage from the Alternator?

7. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Yikes so they didnt do anything??? Man I'd be sketched out driving that now. Somebody above posted about this happening on BMWs. It was an issue with the high pressure fuel pump in that case and it was causing the exact same thing to happen. BMW recalled the cars and replaced all the fuel pumps. My car never had the issue but did have the fuel pump replaced under the recall.

8. aerobat3

aerobat3 Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Robert Fiscella
    No problems with battery or alternator.

ryalex likes this.
  9. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sorry to hear this. The other place to contact is Ferrari in Italy. The dealers get lambasted when customers contact Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. jayhawk1323

jayhawk1323 Rookie

Aug 30, 2021
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Jason G
    Happened to me in 2013 with a Tesla model s. Restarted the car and it never happened again but similar reaction from Tesla. I never reported anything but maybe should have.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

How do you come to that conclusion ? Does it have the factory Battery ?

12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    This is just speculation,but what about a malfunction in the stop/start system (that feature is annoying and hard on the battery,so I had it disabled)?

13. aerobat3

aerobat3 Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Robert Fiscella
    Great idea. Thanks. I'll do that, especially since I speak and write fluent Italian.

Cool Runnin' likes this.
  14. aerobat3

aerobat3 Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Robert Fiscella
    That's a good idea. I too hate it, and generally turn it off when I start, but it is possible that I forgot to that day. Thanks

15. aerobat3

aerobat3 Rookie

Apr 13, 2021
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Robert Fiscella
    Yes. The car is a 2019, has fewer than 3,000 miles on it, and has the original battery which tests out fine. I also keep the Ferrari battery tender on it at all times when I'm not driving it.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Well you need to be included in the History books :)

Cigarzman likes this.
  17. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Any update?

Cool Runnin' likes this.
  18. Cool Runnin'

Cool Runnin' Karting

Apr 13, 2008
    FL
  19. Leonboar

Leonboar Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Black Diamond, WA
    Full Name:
    Noel Pennington
    So what happens if you hit the start/stop button while driving?
    Any update?

I have a 2020 portofino so would really like to know for my own safety.