My POSITIVE experience with Bob Norwood | FerrariChat

My POSITIVE experience with Bob Norwood

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4G6308, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I believe I've read all of the threads on Norwood portraying him as some crook/bad guy and instead of adding to one of those threads I think it's best to start my own. I can obviously only speak about my experience, I have no knowledge of exactly what happened in the other cases.

I've only known Bob for about two months. I of course knew who he was and have read all of the magazine articles about him from back in the day. I'm a recent transplant to the Dallas area and when a GTO project fell in my lap I knew just who to call. I was surprised to find out that he was not only still doing his thing, but he had two 288 GTO projects at his shop. We talked on the phone about my project (I had not yet bought it) for about 30 minutes....I did not receive a bill for that phone call ;-) He suggested that I come by his shop that weekend and have a look at what he was doing. He also wanted to see pictures of my potential project. I was so far impressed with his willingness to help me out even though I was not yet a paying customer. He was very generous with his time and I could tell he still loves building these things. As has been mentioned before, he's not afraid to talk s**t about other shop's work and I'm pretty sure every other word out of his mouth is a curse word. If you're sensitive to that than you have been warned. I find it refreshing and hilarious. I have a good time whenever I'm hanging out with Bob.

So on to my project. It's a 77 GTB that had a short GTO body glued on about 7 years ago. When I picked it up about 2 months ago it was a bare chassis/body on casters and random parts in plastic tubs. Bob and I agreed that the best way to do proceed was to convert it into a proper GTO rebody with correct body panels, that are bolted on just like the real deal, as well as a correct removable rear subframe that would extend the wheelbase 4". He quoted $2500 to stretch the frame and then we would go from there. I dropped the project off with him on April 16th.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

///Mike likes this.
  2. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #2 4G6308, May 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
    That first day the car was unloaded and mounted on a frame table. Norwood and his team don't waste any time. They were cutting the old panels off right away. That is one thing that stands out with Bob and his crew. They do not **** around. These guys get **** done. I have built many cars, mostly Porsche's. And have worked with a lot of different shops over the years. No shop has ever come close to the work ethic of Bob and his crew, so refreshing to deal with guys that do their job and do it well...this is not very common in my experience unfortunately. These pics are from the next day:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Going by all I have read on here, suggest you leave it a while before posting too much. You are not very far into the build yet.
    I see lots of boxes of bits so it is obviously not clear of what you do and don't have.
    You have only known him two months you say "I have a good time whenever I'm hanging out with Bob" so all I can say is caveat emptor.
    All I can say is I wouldn't trust him with a bucket of water if my pants were on fire!

EFerrari34 likes this.
  4. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    So here's how Norwood's billing works. His guys all keep track of their time. Every time they work on a particular job they write down a quick description and how many hours it took them. They each get paid differently and Bob will bill you accordingly. Bob and his top fabricator get paid the most, he charges $85 an hour (super reasonable!) Next he has a guy at $50 an hour and another at $25. As you can imagine, the billing can get very complicated...but I'll take that over paying a flat $85 an hour across the board. At the end of the week all the paperwork is turned in to Bob and he has his accountant generate an invoice for the week. So that first week I got a bill for $9k. Now that's way more than we had agreed to but we also started doing a lot more than what we originally planned on. Stuff like unloading the car, cutting the roof off, mounting new body panels was all billed at an hourly rate. It took four guys just to get that thing out of the truck and up on the frame jig. His guys don't work for free so I understand that I'm going to be billed for anything that wasn't part of the frame stretch. I'll admit that I was surprised by the total but when looking over the bill there was nothing in there that hadn't been done and nothing that wouldn't. Need to be done eventually. At this point I asked for a rough idea on what it was going to take to make it a roller. At that point I would take it home until I was ready to move forward with the next phase. Bob really couldn't quote an exact price but he tried to ballpark it. It ended up being much more...sound familiar?

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    A ballpark restoration?

Some scope creep is acceptable, sure, but if a builder commits to building something for X, and can't produce that result, I would consider that somewhat unprofessional, and take my business elsewhere. Anyone ever had a car restored where at the end the builder said, oh, and btw, we didn't use those extra 200 hours and x amount of parts, here's check for $15,000 back...:)

EFerrari34 likes this.
  6. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    This whole time Bob assured me that we would work something out once we get this thing on the ground and we are at a stopping point. But in the meantime his guys kept adding their time, and work kept progressing at a rapid pace. So fast forward 5 weeks later and tons of issues that were out of Bobs control, we now have a roller and a huge bill. We took a few hours to go over the bill and he held up his end of the bargain. Bob isn't out to rob anybody, but he also doesn't want to loose money. We agreed to a very reasonable amount that we are both happy with. My car will be going back to him once the rear panels are back from the fiberglass shop. Just remember, there are two sides to every story. In my experience, Bob is a stand up guy and stands behind what he says. These things are never going to go smoothly. Anyways, just wanted to put this out there in case someone is worried about working with him or buying a car from him etc. Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #7 Cirorsi, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    I hope it works out for you.

Lotaz, INTMD8 and 4G6308 like this.
  8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #8 ATSAaron, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    This is exactly how my motor build went. Bob quoted me an initial price for the motor parts and some labor. I ended up bringing him my entire transmission, and the rear hubs to have Bob rebuild them for me. I also had Bob assemble my long block. Even though I own a shop, I was more comfortable with Bob's experience with these parts than my own. So long story short, I asked for more work, approved more work, got more work and got a higher bill. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Aaron

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    The key to these projects is Vaseline.
    Lots and lots of Vaseline..

tatry68 and Cirorsi like this.
  10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    4G6308, your car is looking great so far. I hope it continues to go well and look forward to seeing more pics.

Glad you posted your experiences. I've met Bob a few times years ago, but don't know him well enough to have a sense of his business practices. However, as a former shop owner I know very well that there are some customers who are a pleasure to work with and others who create no end of drama. I suspect that your positive experience has a lot to do with thee type of customer you are.

Keep the pics coming! Stretching the wheelbase is the *only* way to go on one of these and it already shows. :)

4G6308 likes this.
  11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm a little confused. He's billed over the agreed amount twice, by a lot, and you're ok with it? He just goes ahead and does work, sits a complicated invoice in front of you and you pay it, and you're happy with that.

I guess we don't all have the same definition of positive experience.

GL with the project.

D

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Anyone who has ever embarked on a project such as this knows full well that there is no way to begin to estimate the final cost. All you can do is try to get a sense of what's involved, but it's inevitable that many more difficulties will be uncovered along the way. Bob told Russ as much **in writing**, and presumably told 4G6308 the same thing.

4G6308 likes this.
  13. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Billing on these jobs is tricky. I'll try to explain.

The quote to stretch the frame was $2500, which Bob stuck to even though he went over time wise. So if I just wanted the frame stretched I could have left it at that and we would be done. But since my car already had some fab work done by the PO (shock towers and custom control arms) we figured, lets set the body on there and see where we're at. That's when the time started adding up. We had to change basically everything that was done by the PO plus remove the roof, line up all the new panels etc. I wasn't prepared for that bill, and Bob couldn't really tell me exactly where we would be when the dust settled. He did get ahead of me a little, things like setting the steering rack up correctly, rebuilding the hubs etc. But our end goal was to make the car a roller, and make it look as close to a factory built GTO as possible. When we finally went over the hours, we were both surprised at the amount...but you've got to start somewhere so we went through it together and got it down to a reasonable amount. Bob never lied to me, he never said it would be easy, and he stuck to his word. He also let me take the car home before paying him the total balance. He understands that the bill was more than I signed up for and I understand that I'm way further along on the project than I would have ever imagined possible in such a short time frame.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Polar opposite of the experience being posted here by another user, and, to say the least, given what we've been told by more than one thread, way out of the ordinary for Bob.

It's clear you have a special relationship with him, which is great.

My experiences with high end repair and restorations is somewhat different, but everyone is entitled to take their own approach. When I rebuilt my Dino, Algar gave me an estimate and got to work. I didn't pay them for the estimate, which took hours to do and ran to three or four pages. I didn't pay them to roll the car from their showroom to the workshop, and then put on the lift, which I'm sure took the better part of a half hour or so. I didn't pay them to look for parts, or talk to me on the phone about what they were doing. I did have a monthly meeting with them to discuss progress, and at no time did the quote move from the original target number. They did not bill me 1/2 hour extra each month for, "Conversation about progress on project."

In the end when I picked up the car, Algar explained that they had about 20 extra hours work in the project, over the estimate. But they also didn't charge me for them, because we hadn't discussed them and I hadn't approved them, and IT WAS OVER THEIR ESTIMATE. They ate the overage, without me asking. (I would probably have paid it, with a little squawking.)

That level of professionalism is what I've seen in a $5K TR6 rebuild, and a $30K bare metal respray and repair. Not a bill with four different rates, billing for thinking about a project or talking to the customer, and certainly not huge overages without first discussing the work with the customer BEFORE starting it.

Unless, of course, your instructions to Bob were, "Just fix it and let me know when it's ready for pickup." In which case, well . . .

D

I'm 360 Canuck and thorn like this.
  15. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    There are very few shops that could build these cars as accurately as Norwood. And even fewer that would even want to tackle such a project. I'm thankful that Bob is still building these cars and willing to do it at what I think is a reasonable price these days....who charges $85 and hour anymore? And although he has been doing this since the GTO was introduced in the mid eighties, he freely admits that he learns something new about these cars on every build. For instance, my car has real GTO hubs and wheels. He's never built one with authentic wheels etc. because they are so expensive and rare, he has always made his own hubs and used wheels that are close but don't have the same offset. That made all of his suspension jigs useless for my car...more time and trial and error. But look at the work that he and his guys turned out. That rear subframe is almost identical to a real GTO, including the way the flanges were constructed. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    exactly, I would be livid! Norwoods Auto Italia (different company owned now by James Paterson and others) just had my 328 in for a couple years tons of work and restoration. James NEVER proceeds on anything new without sending me a quote and all his quotes were spot on.

17. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Let me start by saying I'm not trying to start an argument here. Your responses are well thought out.

And I do agree that billing for conversations and ordering parts is BS. I also had those charges on my bill multiple times. I believe it's just a way for Bob to keep track of time. I really didn't care so much about each little line item. I knew we would figure it out in the end and that's exactly what we did. Similar to your situation above, Bob ate the overages that were not approved by me.

18. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Restoring a 328, and building a GTO almost from scratch are not the same thing and cannot be compared.

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So you didn't pay for any of the extra work or time he did beyond your first "stretch the frame $2,500"?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are an idiot if you don't see comparison of a shop (no matter what they do) keeping to scope and quotes until you approve the next step.

you are right, a 328 is a real Ferrari, yours is a piece of **** replica trying to be a Ferrari it will never be. why are you trying to be a GTO when it is just a 308?

technom3 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Keep in mind - a quote is different than an estimate. Generally speaking, in my engineering / manufacturing business (as well as Sticky RX), we typically provide quotes as the scope is relatively small (compared to building a one off car). This makes it clean and removes the surprise of the price being much over what someone agreed to. A project of this nature (IMO) warrants estimates as unless you did several exact projects in the past, you won't have a time study of what it takes.

4G6308 likes this.
  22. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Holy crap! Seriously? Talking to your CUSTOMER is your job as a business owner.

I think some people have forgotten who pays their bills. IMHO That's the difference between someone running a business and someone who thinks he's an entitled artist that should have worshippers and not customers.

randkin, Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's not that simple when you sell time. My attorneys charge me for every telephone call - so does my accountant - that's OK right? So, if you are providing X service for a customer and billing by the hour, how is it any different?

When we perform design engineering per hour, I can do this. I don't, but I could. If I go to meetings about the project, the time is billed.

24. 4G6308

4G6308 Karting

Jan 15, 2007
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Jesus dude...who pissed in your Cheerios? Just a 308? Haha...have a nice day and watch that blood pressure. Actually I think Cheerios help with that...not sure about the piss though.

Stentboy likes this.
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are building a kit car, plain and simple.