My Smog woes | FerrariChat

My Smog woes

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 ferraridriver, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    The back story.

About six months ago I Got a CEL, it was for the secondary air monitor. I removed the pump, cleaned out the debris, bench tested it and reinstalled it then put the whole thing out of my mind.

Last month I received my registration renewal with a requirement for a smog test.

The car, a 2000 550, failed due to the secondary air monitor incomplete error.

I tried to reset the monitor following the Ferrari drive cycle found in Ferrari North America Technical Bulletin FNA 20 without success. I probably put over 200 miles on it trying to complete a drive cycle that is so far removed from real world driving conditions as to be ludicrous.

Then I got online and started to read about others who found themselves in a similar condition.

I spoke by PMs and phone to several of the most respected Ferrari technicians here, a couple of CA referees, and a couple of Ferrari dealer’s service managers.

I tested the air flow at the manifold by removing the brass acorn nuts and feeling the air flow on cold starts. I know the air is flowing to all four air injection manifolds. I tapped into the power feed to the air pump with 2 wires, 12VDC and ground and ran those wires into the cabin so I could monitor just exactly when and for how long the secondary air pump operated.

One of the referees I spoke to told me that when a monitor is incomplete it can't set a CEL or store a code since the monitor is not working. Most of those that I have mentioned this to say no, the code will be set and you can get a CEL even with that monitor incomplete. I tried this by unplugging the secondary air pump and starting the car cold. I got no CEL or code.

Once again I don't know who to believe on this.

I found in my case the pump ran for two minutes and thirty five seconds on a cold start only, it has never run during any part of the drive cycle nor has it run at any time during normal driving. I wish I knew what others have found on this.

I have read and been told by some that the pump must run at some time during the drive cycle besides just at a cold start. Others say it only runs on a cold start. I don’t know what or who to believe on this.

After talking to others and thinking about it I took the car to Ferrari of San Francisco and they checked everything, found no stored or pending codes, tried the drive cycle two times, billed me the mandatory $650.00 necessary to get a cost of repairs exemption from the referee station.

While there they told me that they have yet to get a 458 to set the Secondary air monitor and they had an 812 with the same problem. They mentioned one person who spent over $30,000. This was verified to me by the referee I went to that also mentioned the a case with same dollar figure.

As far as getting the car registered this year I now have a two year, one time exemption so I now have some time to figure this out.

This is an ongoing problem in California because it was just recently made law that the only monitor that can be incomplete is the evap monitor.

My next step is to replace the front O2 Sensors as I have both read and been told that they get “lazy” in that while they still function well enough to not set a code they don’t warm up fast enough to send the proper signal to the monitoring system. I don’t know about this but they’re not too expensive comparatively speaking.

I do appreciate what some have told me in PMs here and if anyone else has any thoughts I would very much like to hear from you.

2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    My pump on my 97 runs for about as long as yours does. A couple minutes or so, then never again till the next cold start - near as I can tell.

3. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am sorry to hear this. I had this exact issue with my 2000 550 Maranello. The car drove perfectly but secondary air pump monitor would not set. The pump was replaced and worked fine, but the software would not set. Replaced part after part - ECU's, sending units, O2 sensors (thousands of dollars) and performed countless drive cycles which consisted of hundreds of unenjoyable, wasted miles due to the prescribed format. My problem was never solved and I no longer own the car. Since you are local, you should discuss with Gianfranco at Ferrari of Silicon Valley. He worked on my car for months trying to solve this and may have some new ideas to offer. I think the 20 year old Italian software is just not going to work properly in some cases. My car could not be registered in California. I moved on to a gated 575M and have had no issues at all with it. My advice if you want to keep the car, and have no CEL's or drivability issues, is to register the car in another state. It will pass just about anywhere else even if smog is required.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I don’t have any answers but I do have a working car. If You need any data I could provide let me know.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Isn’t the lambda sensors sensing the mixture and gives a signal if something is wrong? It is wrong if the combustion is not right. Due to a bad spark plug, ignition wires, coil pack, injectors, wrong fuel pressure etc. I have heared that the exhaust can be more «out if tune» while the engine is warming up, but not too far. Maybe something is wrong there...? If water temp is low for example the car gets a much richer mixture. If the sensor is bad, or the thermostat is a bit open, it might not be warm as fast as the car / ECU is used to. I am just quessing. The gauge has another sensor than the ECU which has two. If I remember right. Is the CEL on after the car is completely warm? And does it run perfectly smooth on all twelve cylinders warm and cold? The ECUs is German Bosch and seems to be quite dependable...

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sounds like smog tech was right if you got no code unplugged but then you still fail because the monitor is not set. Someone needs to find the VW engineer who found the special way to fix the diesels to fix our Ferraris.

The evap exemption is only because of the shear number of cars that fail.

California just sucks! The weather is great by the beach and everything else I can do without. There has to be somewhere else in the world where the temp is 70F +/- 15?

7. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I could not agree with you more...this state is simply beautiful to see but living here is a whole other talk show..!
    They are ripping peoples heads off with vehicle regs on old cars and trying to push them off the road by pushing very tight smog thresholds.
    Don't get me wrong I completely understand the clean air motivation but just be reasonable about it.
    Sorry boys just had to get that out...

Ferraridriver-Below are the facts on your CEL and monitors:
    1-If there is a fault code pending or permanent within the ECM you will never be able to forfill that portion of the monitoring system simply because the ECM is NOT happy with its feedback....So
    2-If your ECM is happy....NO fault codes at all then you are simply at the mercy of the ECM and that particular portion of the system to self check and complete the readiness flag or as some call the monitor for that part of the ECM...this could be a painful process because as you have learned the engineers have programed a certain driving sequence to check that box....this applies to all modern day vehicles.
    3-Note: disconnecting your battery will always bring you back to square one with ALL readiness or monitors.
    Good luck with your vehicle.

Salami likes this.
  8. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    What would it take to have the car registered in another state? And have those plates on the car in Cali?

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you all for your replies; I’m trying to gather as much info as possible from other’s experience. I’ve heard of lots of others in the same boat but I want to hear of successful completions setting this monitor.

Ferrari of SF found no stored or pending codes; they found all components of the SAI in good working order. I have to take that report with a grain of salt because obviously the ECU is not happy with something. That coupled with the fact that in the last nine years I have owned this car the battery has been turned off/disconnected multiple times and so far as I know the the system has always reset itself, at least to the point that no codes were present.

Carl, I may have something for you to try, you know me, always experimenting with something. I value your input.

Registering the car out of state is not an option and since it is now impossible to get another exemption it’s either fix this or sell the car out of state.

I have to take the plenum off soon as there is a slight leak at the hose clamps on the big hose under it that I replaced with an SRI hose so while I’m there I’ll replace the temp sensors. I’ve heard of others having this problem with that SRI hose.

With new Lambda and temp sensors I’ll try the drive cycle some more.

As far as I know the ECUs are vehicle specific, does anyone know if this is true? Could the ECUs be swaped with another that will accept the drive cycle? Are there two ECUs or just one that stores codes. I don’t even know where this/these ECUs are. I need a little help here.

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    ECU's are in the driver and passenger footwell. Just for ****s and grins take out the passenger ECU and look carefully at the pins. 100% of 550's somehow leak water that trickles down the wiring into the connector and into the ECU pins and corrodes them. 1st there is no know way to stop the leak. 2nd there is no good way to make a drip loop. While these cars function perfect in the rain I avoid rain and avoid direct waterhose washing of the RF A piller area.

Could you get lucky and just clean out the ECU connector and connector area and win? Also I'm not sure on ECU swap left to right. isn't there something taboo on that because of the immobilizer imprinting? If true then you can't swap and it is one more reason we should try to figure out Trev360's way of deleting the imobilo on the 5.2 motronics.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I said footwell but it is footwell behind the side panel kickplate area

12. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Wow. My car is due in May and you have me thinking I'd be wise to pre-emptively remove the SAP to check for crud before I find myself in the same position.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

They both store codes. They can be swapped provided both have spent their life in that car.

There are a number of people who reprogram Motronic boxes to subvert various monitors for modified cars so they'll pass. Might talk to some of them to see if they can help you out. .

Eaven marcum and fatbillybob like this.
  14. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Sorry Dave...hope with all this input things work out !

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Like Brian said, each Motronic ECU runs 6 cylinders and each has pretty much the same capabilities. The right ECU stores the alarm PIN while the left one does not. As noted by Brian, you can swap them and then the new ECU will also memorize the alarm PIN. This will make both now unusable in another 550, which is not an issue for you.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What would be cool is if you remove the immobilizer and swap the ECU's so the new ECU never gets imprinted with an immobilizer. If the car then started and ran it would be a very very good day! But I'm sure life is just not that convenient.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Mercedes Benz version of the SD2/3 has the ability to erase that imprint so a unit can be plugged in for testing/diagnosis so it is possible in Motronic architecture but Ferrari chose to not give us that ability. They are in the parts selling business and not the service business. Interesting considering most diagnostic procedures at some point say to "Substitute with a known good unit". Ferrari just expects that to be permanent and not just a test.

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Trev360 broke into the 360 motronic and found the hidden spot in that hecdex mess that fingers the immobilizer. He is able on 360's motronics (I forget 7.2 motronic?) to excise that piece of code and the ECU is none the wiser. We need a 355, 456 or 550 guy with that level of computer know how to follow Trev's path and free us of our pain. I have many other ways to make my car immobile and the last thing I need is wonkey Ferrari immobilizer. It has been the only thing to strand me in my 550.

DrDweeb likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am pretty sure Specialized ECU Repair is already offering that service.

BrandonE likes this.
  20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FWIW Dave this is what I see from my generic kiwi OBD2 phone based reader ignition off. I have found Ferraris in general to be hit and miss with setting monitors. You can have 2 550s do the same drive cycle and have different monitors set vs the other car. Weird. My current 550 seems to set monitors easy but because all the problems I have had to solve with other people's cars I am fearful. I no longer use the battery kill switch. I use trickle chargers but turn them off for 2 weeks then on for 2 weeks and the cycling seems to enhance battery life. When I change Ferrari batteries I put minimal 12V power to keep power in the system so that there is no reset needed of the monitors. Your thread is scary and my smog check comes due in the next couple months. I'm thankful for my screenshot above and no MIL codes so I get a free pass for 2 years. My car is 2001. My sold 2000 took twice the drive cycle to get all monitors to set. Go figure!

21. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I’m probably missing something but if the problem is the pump not running at the right time why not activate it off the ignition with a relay? Have it run all the time? Get you through the test?

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes they made a bypass module but the Ferrari system still needed to be in place and a few other things (I forget now researched it once) made their solution a bit unfinished. Trev's solution goes to the heart of the matter and changes the Motronic ECU coding. Trev's is a much more elegant solution. But for the most part we don't worry too much about the immobilizer until we are bitten by it.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not just Ferrari. My Ford Lightning wouldn't set cat monitor after about 10 tries at the drive cycle. I just ignored it. About 500 miles later it was fine. I have had 550's set all the monitors idling in the shop, never moved off the rack. I figured out how to run a 360 cycle driving the car on the hoist. The drive cycle stuff is a load and no, it doesn't need to be done in order, it is just a set of circumstances where if everything is right all should set. I had a 360 that I picked out one part of the drive cycle and could set the o2 monitor at will.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It isn't a matter of the pump running. The computer needs to be looking for the response from the O2 sensors. Can never happen during normal pump operation.

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Brian or anyone, Do the ECUs each store all the codes or can you have a left bank code stored in the left ECU only.

If one bank has a problem with the secondary air is a code stored in that bank's ECU?

Would it be possible to swap ECUs with another car?

I'm going to take Carl's advice and clean the ECU contacts just for SAGs

I'm going to take Brian's tip and question one or two of those ECU doctors, anyone know a good starting point there?
    Taz, couldn't you just reprogram the ECU to accept a new PIN like we have done with a new fob/PIN set