Mysterious Ferrari Prototype Caught Testing In Silence At Fiorano – Is It A Hybrid? | FerrariChat

Mysterious Ferrari Prototype Caught Testing In Silence At Fiorano – Is It A Hybrid?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by cesman, Apr 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Just saw this video online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    obviously testing the hybrid system...

Presumably the 488 and 812 replacement will be carbon monocoque this time (to compensate for added battery weights). V12 to remain atmospheric. Excellent.

NürScud likes this.
  4. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    cpd1 likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Finlander and red passion like this.
  6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Interesting ! Great posting .... thanx.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    “Dino” makes sense for many reasons - but there are as many reasons why it shouldn’t happen, not least because Ferrari wants to drive upmarket not downmarket and the Dino doesn’t tick that box. Also, global growth is mainly in SUV - so a $300k+ Ferrari SUV makes more sense (whether that sits well with us or not). I saw the Urus in Geneva and it’s massive and not as great looking as the original concept. Seems no matter what one does, there’s no disguising the size of a premium SUV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    A new V6 car could be positioned at a similar price point as the current 488, whereas a hybrid V8 could be moved rather upmarket.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That's kind of what I would speculate: what if they make the 488 successor with a hybrid system that drives the turbos instead of electric motors, thus returning the more classic NA style exhaust sound and truly zero turbo lag (though the 488 doesn't feel like it has any right now). Or its possible such a car will also use electric motors to drive the front wheels and give the car a bit of AWD? Either way, such a car would be even more of a supercar than the 488. And perhaps the pricing moves accordingly.

Yet, they would still have access to the 488 platform, its still a good platform. What if they then bring in the "Dino" with a turbo V6? in around the price of todays 488. Thus, the Dino would hardly be cheap but it could present Ferrari the opportunity to sell more cars of different models. Thus driving sales even more...

Yes, this is nothing more than a daydream I am conjuring in the enjoyment of speculating what they might do. Like when you speculate which player on your favorite sports team might be traded for another etc. Who knows, but its fun.

Melvok and red passion like this.
  10. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Very well said and totally in line with what I expect to see in future. I think a split of the mid-engined Ferrari production cars in two segments is a long overdue step. For sure we don’t know anything for sure right now but as you mentioned it is always fun to speculate. ;) I am really curious about what they will come up with!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you really want to split the mid-engine production car then just drop in the 800hp NA V12 in the next platform. You can have all the electric/turbo/V6/hybrid whatever for all the tech/eco folks and then the car Ferrari owners have been wanting for a very long time. Won't happen but a much better way to split it if we're talking daydreams IMO.

Afonsolaw, red passion and italiafan like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    There are daydreams and then there are daydreams. In my real day dream the cars are ALL V12 NA.

red passion likes this.
  13. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I would be okay with every Ferrari being a V12 :)

Caeruleus11 and Melvok like this.
  14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Fortunately..

Bas likes this.
  15. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Me to!

16. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I would be ok if Ferrari went V10

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although I'm not that enthusiastic about engines with an odd number of cylinders on each bank, that would certainly be an enormous improvement for the petrolhead over hybrid things, in my humble opinion!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  18. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Don´t forget that although V10s have never been used in road-going Ferraris they have a special place in Ferrari´s history. Just think about the Schumacher-era.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Makuono, stavura and LVP488 like this.