NAPA vs GM parts | FerrariChat

NAPA vs GM parts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Yoric, Feb 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    My wife's Tahoe needs its oil cooler lines replaced (tiny but constant dripping). My local NAPA store has both in stock and sells both packaged as a unit for $59.00. The Buick-GM dealer also has them in stock and sells them individually for $87.00 (part #15112870) and $89.12 (part #15112871) respectively. Is it possible that there's THAT much difference in quality or is it just greedy dealer mark-up? Hard to believe that GM manufactures its own oil lines or that this particular item is rare since both vendors stock it--in fact the NAPA guys tell me its not an unusual replacement part. It's a dirty PITA to change them, which I'll do at the next oil change, so should I fatten the dealer's wallet thinking that a GM labeled part is higher quality or go the NAPA route and feel safe in doing so?

2. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's been years since I purchased from Napa but I always remember them selling decent quality stuff. At that price difference, I wouldn't think twice about buying them there. You can always ask to see them first just to make sure they aren't flimsy Chinese junk.

Scott

3. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I have always found Napa parts to be good replacements. The truck I drove in high school may have had more Napa parts in it than originals.

4. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Napa has always done good with parts..some also can make custom hoses, lines if they have the proper fittings or you provide them...

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Check! The napa part could be a generic copy from china of the GM part. Ask a quality independant parts store if the oil lines exist as "oem replacement parts" from the original equipment manufacturer since they seem so common. In other words lets say sachs makes the shocks for your corvette. You buy GM get highest price. You buy from quality autoparts get the same Sachs shocks not in GM box for less. You buy a napa shock that "fits" and it is way less.

6. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have used both at my shop. Dorman is most likely the supplier to NAPA. GM trucks especially S10s with the remote oil filter seem to go thru these at a very rapid rate. Usually the leaks are around the crimped steel to rubber portion. Over time they too will begin to leak...

7. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I didn't mention specifics, but it's a full size Tahoe, 350 ci engine, with towing package and all of the extras. We bought it new and still runs like a top (Mobil 1 since day one) with 160,000 mi, though little stuff has always plagued it--trans cooler lines, intake gasket, etc. And, you're right, the seepage/leakage/weeping is at the crimping of the plastic/rubber lines onto the metal (aluminum?) hard lines. At any rate, after your comments and advice, methinks that NAPA replacements are a no-risk proposition.
    thanks to all who've chimed in.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #8 ernie, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Here is another thing.

The part could very well have a warranty, and in some cases a limited lifetime warranty.

A few years ago a front wheel bearing on my Expedition went bad. Bought an after market bearing from Autozone that came with a 1 year warranty. After about 10 months the new bearing started going bad. Removed it, took it back, and got a brand new one free of charge. The new one has been in now for a couple of years with no issues.

I have bought plenty of parts with lifetime warranties, most of which I haven't had to use, but the times I have it has been without question, and have always gotten a replacement part free of charge.
    Now had I bought that bearing from a Ford dealer it would not have come with a parts warranty. Be it from NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone, Pep Boys, or Car Quest, you can get a parts warranty that you will not get from the dealer.

My opinion is buy the hose from NAPA.

9. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    You can usually find a variety of replacement parts at Rockauto. Typically they specify where the part is made.

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I've used NAPA parts on a bunch of cars over the years, and generally found them to be at least as good as most OEM parts and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. I've also order things from Rockauto.com and been very satisfied with their stuff as well.

One thought on the oil lines -- if the hoses keep failing, consider going to a place that makes up hydraulic hoses for heavy equipment. Generally, the fittings are probably standard size, and if you take the hoses you are replacing to a shop, they can make up custom hoses for you that will be much sturdier and will likely last a lot longer. Just a suggestion.

11. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    If the GM hose is leaking, how good can the quality really be? Did it do an off road marathon? It may be the OEM part was originally sourced in China. It may also be the NAPA part is sourced in China.

Bill

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I had a 93 Caprice with the same issue. Purchased factory part but it wasn't a perfect fit, various parts had been superseeded. We made it work and it lasted the 30K miles I had the car.

I was purchasing GM as I was getting parts near cost at that time.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I like NAPA. I have even found parts for my Boxer and various vintage motorcycles there that I could not find anywhere else.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've never had any problems with NAPA parts though now I use Rockauto for most everything on the DDs.

15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I use NAPA so often that they have my cars memorized; parts are always good quality and always the right ones (they always fit).